Jim Dalrymple on iOS 7: Take a deep breath and relax

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Rogifan, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Rogifan, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I've seen similar comments from Rene Ritchie over at imore.com. Perhaps some of these clued in bloggers know something we don't know? Especially ones who are under the NDA. I personally wish this beta wasn't so public. Having developers only do testing might not be the best answer but it seems like a lot of people are running this software that probably shouldn't be and are forming opinions based on an unfinished product. The several of the rumors prior to WWDC said iOS 7 was behind schedule. I'm sure Apple pushed to have something they could demo for WWDC. Doesn't mean things won't change between now and when it ships. Just because that may not have happened in the past doesn't mean it can't happen this time.

Don’t worry about iOS 7

2. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Ya well it's also a time for developers to see the GUI and tell themselves " maybe we should make our icon look all pastel and all to fit in with the new GUI.

Things are not going to change that much. If they do it will only be due to the harsh backlash from the public.

4. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

5. .sky macrumors newbie

I'm sure the "hey my twitter client doesn't work" threads will go away in the next few weeks. Everyone's just giddy about the first beta. Doesn't need a sticky.

6. futbalguy macrumors 6502

I think there could be pretty significant changes over the coming months. It clearly is not as far along as other betas have been and we know they did not start this overhaul years ago. I think they may be headed a little more towards the google way of releasing things that are not quite as finished looking so people can get the experience sooner. Steve isn't around anymore and its only a beta so who cares what it looks like at this point. It just needs to look good by the time it is released. I also think it's not a coincidence that this beta is available to non-developers. That's not an accident. I think they want to see how people react or at least give some people a chance to get used to it ahead of time so its not a shock from out of nowhere.

7. zerostar macrumors regular

I think this is spot on, this is the new direction and I think it's a good one for the OS to move into. I think it just needs to mature over a few revisions to get to a polished state.

8. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

The idiots who complain about bugs in a beta aren't going to be smart enough to read something like this and actually take it to heart.....

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the public being able to get a beta version of software. Though I fall into the category of non-dev with iOS 7, I'm certainly not dumb enough to complain about it and will help report REAL bugs whenever I can.

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

This is the Internet we're talking about here.

10. lancastor macrumors 6502a

So Apple shouldn't presenting iOS7 for all customers on their page.

www.apple.com/ios/ios7

11. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

And you know this how exactly? This isn't like any other version of iOS. I believe Apple worked on the first version of iPhone software for like 2 years. iOS 7 has a completely different UI that was completed in roughly 6 months. No way is this finished. Dalrymple wouldn't be putting a post up like this if what we're seeing now is pretty much final. Same with Rene Ritchie.

12. Shrink, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

What do you mean it wasn't meant for me! I'm an uniformed and entitled end user, I paid my money, and I get to piss and moan all I want. I install the Beta, it doesn't work perfectly, and I get to get hysterical about it...because I paid my money for access.

Some nerve...not meant for me, indeed!:mad:

Harsh backlash from what public? The only people who have iOS 7 are real honest-to-goddness devs, and others who paid their money and download it. How many folks is that.

Real people, which pretty much excludes the freaks and geeks who post here (who in no way represent a sample of the general public) do not put up a "harsh backlash". They download the upgrade, like it or don't like it...and get on with their lives.

In short...where is this harsh backlash coming from that will move Apple to make major changes in the upgrade?:confused:

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yeah I was a little surprised by that.

14. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

wait a minute, are you trying to tell me that a beta version is, in fact, an incomplete version of a software that the developers are still working on?!?!?! you take that back!!!

:p

15. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I wouldn't mind if they went the Google way a bit. For instance, if they didn't have time to do proper overhauls of the mail and calendar apps why wait until iOS 8 to release them? Finish them and get them out there sooner. Maybe the new Apple is heading this way.

16. .sky macrumors newbie

huh

Apple always posts the upcoming version of iOS on their website after they announce it. They've been doing it for years.

17. monaarts macrumors 65816

Notice this at the bottom of the page:

"Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices."

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Relax kids and look around the interwebs. There are a lot of sites that show off the soft colors of IOS 7 and the general public reads the stuff. Unless you think these sites are only read by MR type users. I don't believe that. Personally.

All I said was developers see the new color theme and will decide to use the same color theme for their apps.

That's my "opinion"

:)

Maybe it's just an old farts bad eyesight. These soft colors are not very friendly to this type of person.

19. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

This was my thought too. I can understand that there and changes that need to be made to ensure that the GM release is ready for the big time, but how could they get away with making such a dramatic video and then changing something major (icon design, control center) that obviously has already had alot of time put into it.

It will be an interesting beta ride. I'm excited to see what plays out either way. I have faith that apple knows what they are doing...they are in fact pretty intelligent people. Not sure why so many have decided that their personal opinion on what the OS should look like could possibly trump the time and work of some of the best in the industry.

Eventually they will all join the party, and feel stupid for being so against change. I can feel it.

20. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

You are aware that a trailer for a movie is not the actual movie, right?

21. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

Nice way to put it. I don't think people will notice the changes from the "trailer". If you listen to what Ive is saying, it's more about the feel of the OS and less about the detail. That video could easily be tweaked for the "final cut".

22. gto55 macrumors 6502a

gto55

23. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

24. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Not front and center on the main page.

They have had an icon that said "get a preview of iOS X" buried somewhere under the iPhone tab, but never on the main page of Apple, same goes for OS X.

The grass is not any greener on the other side,

25. batting1000 macrumors 604