Jim Dalrymple on iOS 7: Take a deep breath and relax

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I've seen similar comments from Rene Ritchie over at imore.com. Perhaps some of these clued in bloggers know something we don't know? Especially ones who are under the NDA. I personally wish this beta wasn't so public. Having developers only do testing might not be the best answer but it seems like a lot of people are running this software that probably shouldn't be and are forming opinions based on an unfinished product. The several of the rumors prior to WWDC said iOS 7 was behind schedule. I'm sure Apple pushed to have something they could demo for WWDC. Doesn't mean things won't change between now and when it ships. Just because that may not have happened in the past doesn't mean it can't happen this time.

Don’t worry about iOS 7

Judging from my inbox, Twitter and Messages, people are losing their minds over iOS 7 and some of the changes Apple introduced at WWDC last week. Here is my advice to you—sit back, take a deep breath and relax.

There are a few things you need to remember about iOS 7. First, it’s nowhere near finished in terms of design or functionality. Apple engineers stopped adding or changing the operating system before WWDC so they had a stable build to show during the keynote. It’s not done 1.

Second—and I’m surprised I even have to say this—it’s a beta for developers. This is not a build any individual user should install—ever. It wasn’t meant for you and installing it shouldn’t even be on your radar.2

The developer beta of iOS 7 is meant as a way for developers to see the new APIs and to see how their existing apps work.

This is also an important opportunity for developers to make decisions about upcoming apps. Will future apps be iOS 7-only so they can tap into new functionality in the operating system? What design decisions need to be made? There are many more things that developers need to consider.

These are important decisions that will affect the apps that we buy in the next year or so.

This is not the time, as a user, for you to decide if you’re going to upgrade to iOS 7. You shouldn’t even be considering that yet. Let Apple do its thing with the operating system, let developers work on their apps and you be calm.

Don’t worry about iOS 7.

1 If you are reporter and write a story about iOS 7 bugs, you are a dumbass and you are doing your readers a disservice. ↩

2 If you install it, chances are it won’t work properly BECAUSE IT’S A BETA AND WASN’T MEANT FOR YOU. ↩

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Ya well it's also a time for developers to see the GUI and tell themselves " maybe we should make our icon look all pastel and all to fit in with the new GUI.

Things are not going to change that much. If they do it will only be due to the harsh backlash from the public.

.sky

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Location Location
I'm sure the "hey my twitter client doesn't work" threads will go away in the next few weeks. Everyone's just giddy about the first beta. Doesn't need a sticky.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Ya well it's also a time for developers to see the GUI and tell themselves " maybe we should make our icon look all pastel and all to fit in with the new GUI.

Things are not going to change that much. If they do it will only be due to the harsh backlash from the public.
I think there could be pretty significant changes over the coming months. It clearly is not as far along as other betas have been and we know they did not start this overhaul years ago. I think they may be headed a little more towards the google way of releasing things that are not quite as finished looking so people can get the experience sooner. Steve isn't around anymore and its only a beta so who cares what it looks like at this point. It just needs to look good by the time it is released. I also think it's not a coincidence that this beta is available to non-developers. That's not an accident. I think they want to see how people react or at least give some people a chance to get used to it ahead of time so its not a shock from out of nowhere.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I think this is spot on, this is the new direction and I think it's a good one for the OS to move into. I think it just needs to mature over a few revisions to get to a polished state.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
lets hope people read this....
The idiots who complain about bugs in a beta aren't going to be smart enough to read something like this and actually take it to heart.....

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the public being able to get a beta version of software. Though I fall into the category of non-dev with iOS 7, I'm certainly not dumb enough to complain about it and will help report REAL bugs whenever I can.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
So Apple shouldn't presenting iOS7 for all customers on their page.

www.apple.com/ios/ios7

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

And you know this how exactly? This isn't like any other version of iOS. I believe Apple worked on the first version of iPhone software for like 2 years. iOS 7 has a completely different UI that was completed in roughly 6 months. No way is this finished. Dalrymple wouldn't be putting a post up like this if what we're seeing now is pretty much final. Same with Rene Ritchie.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
2 If you install it, chances are it won’t work properly BECAUSE IT’S A BETA AND WASN’T MEANT FOR YOU. ↩[/SIZE]
What do you mean it wasn't meant for me! I'm an uniformed and entitled end user, I paid my money, and I get to piss and moan all I want. I install the Beta, it doesn't work perfectly, and I get to get hysterical about it...because I paid my money for access.

Some nerve...not meant for me, indeed!:mad:

Harsh backlash from what public? The only people who have iOS 7 are real honest-to-goddness devs, and others who paid their money and download it. How many folks is that.

Real people, which pretty much excludes the freaks and geeks who post here (who in no way represent a sample of the general public) do not put up a "harsh backlash". They download the upgrade, like it or don't like it...and get on with their lives.

In short...where is this harsh backlash coming from that will move Apple to make major changes in the upgrade?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I think there could be pretty significant changes over the coming months. It clearly is not as far along as other betas have been and we know they did not start this overhaul years ago. I think they may be headed a little more towards the google way of releasing things that are not quite as finished looking so people can get the experience sooner. Steve isn't around anymore and its only a beta so who cares what it looks like at this point. It just needs to look good by the time it is released. I also think it's not a coincidence that this beta is available to non-developers. That's not an accident. I think they want to see how people react or at least give some people a chance to get used to it ahead of time so its not a shock from out of nowhere.
I wouldn't mind if they went the Google way a bit. For instance, if they didn't have time to do proper overhauls of the mail and calendar apps why wait until iOS 8 to release them? Finish them and get them out there sooner. Maybe the new Apple is heading this way.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
And you know this how exactly? This isn't like any other version of iOS. I believe Apple worked on the first version of iPhone software for like 2 years. iOS 7 has a completely different UI that was completed in roughly 6 months. No way is this finished. Dalrymple wouldn't be putting a post up like this if what we're seeing now is pretty much final. Same with Rene Ritchie.
What do you mean it wasn't meant for me! I'm an uniformed and entitled end user, I paid my money, and I get to piss and moan all I want. I install the Beta, it doesn't work perfectly, and I get to get hysterical about it...because I paid my money for access.

Some nerve...not meant for me, indeed!:mad:

Harsh backlash from what public? The only people who have iOS 7 are real honest-to-goddness devs, and others who paid their money and download it. How many folks is that.

Real people, which pretty much excludes the freaks and geeks who post here (who in no way represent a sample of the general public) do not put up a "harsh backlash". They download the upgrade, like it or don't like it...and get on with their lives.

In short...where is this harsh backlash coming from that will move Apple to make major changes in the upgrade?:confused:
Relax kids and look around the interwebs. There are a lot of sites that show off the soft colors of IOS 7 and the general public reads the stuff. Unless you think these sites are only read by MR type users. I don't believe that. Personally.

All I said was developers see the new color theme and will decide to use the same color theme for their apps.

That's my "opinion"

:)

Maybe it's just an old farts bad eyesight. These soft colors are not very friendly to this type of person.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Yeah I was a little surprised by that.
This was my thought too. I can understand that there and changes that need to be made to ensure that the GM release is ready for the big time, but how could they get away with making such a dramatic video and then changing something major (icon design, control center) that obviously has already had alot of time put into it.

It will be an interesting beta ride. I'm excited to see what plays out either way. I have faith that apple knows what they are doing...they are in fact pretty intelligent people. Not sure why so many have decided that their personal opinion on what the OS should look like could possibly trump the time and work of some of the best in the industry.

Eventually they will all join the party, and feel stupid for being so against change. I can feel it.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
You are aware that a trailer for a movie is not the actual movie, right?
Nice way to put it. I don't think people will notice the changes from the "trailer". If you listen to what Ive is saying, it's more about the feel of the OS and less about the detail. That video could easily be tweaked for the "final cut".

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
huh

Apple always posts the upcoming version of iOS on their website after they announce it. They've been doing it for years.
Not front and center on the main page.

They have had an icon that said "get a preview of iOS X" buried somewhere under the iPhone tab, but never on the main page of Apple, same goes for OS X.

The grass is not any greener on the other side,