Jimmy Iovine Allegedly Planning to Leave Apple in August [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple Music exec Jimmy Iovine, who works alongside Dr. Dre, Eddy Cue, Robert Kondrk, Trent Reznor and other prominent executives is planning to leave Apple in August, reports Billboard.

The rumor about Iovine's alleged departure from Apple first surfaced on music rumor site Hits Daily Double, but Billboard says its sources have confirmed the news. According to Billboard, Iovine's exit will be timed with the vesting of stock he acquired when first joining Apple.

Iovine joined the Apple Music team back in 2014, when Apple acquired Beats Electronics and the Beats Music streaming service, both of which were co-founded by Iovine and Dr. Dre. Iovine has had a long history with the company, though, first pitching a subscription music service to Steve Jobs in 2003.

Iovine does not have an official title at Apple, but he has been heavily involved in with Apple Music since its 2015 launch and has negotiated many of the streaming deals for the service.

Under Iovine's leadership, Apple music has seen strong growth since its debut, with the service now boasting more than 30 million subscribers.

Should Iovine leave Apple, it's not clear if he would be replaced, nor what his plans are after departing the company.

Bloomberg has confirmed that Jimmy Iovine is planning to leave Apple after he receives the final payout from the Beats Electronics acquisition.

Iovine is unlikely to stay on with the company even if he receives a new offer as his vision has "sometimes clashed" with the views of other executives at the company, including Eddy Cue.

Article Link: Jimmy Iovine Allegedly Planning to Leave Apple in August [Updated]

2. DamoTheBrave macrumors regular

3. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Are you talking about Tim?

4. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

5. DJ Marty macrumors newbie

DJ Marty

6. GubbyMan macrumors 6502

GubbyMan

Goodbye Iovine, you will not be missed.
    It took 2+ years but it's a good thing Apple realized their mistake and fired him.

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

It is fairly usual for the founders to cash in and leave at the end of the lock-in period. He's done well. Good luck to him.

From the outside, he seemed the strongest part of Beats, so him leaving reminds me of why the acquisition seemed an odd choice.

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Saw his special. Never realized he was such a powerhouse in the scene. He did well for the industry.

9. Agustin Cauchy, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

Agustin Cauchy macrumors newbie

Agustin Cauchy

Eddy Cue should join him..

10. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

Oh, his pockets are full now? Time to jump to the next sucker company, Jimmy. You true worthless quack.

11. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

That's really bad! You only leave a company when you are unhappy. Maybe not a very nice culture there after all! So what have Apple got from their 3Billion if Jimmy leaves? Crappy Beats headphones that were OK in 2011 before they fell to pieces? Maybe they learnt how to produce the AirPods. Kind of shows how much the money industry changes and how what and who was influential 10 years ago most certainly is not today.
    It will be very interesting to see what the music market is like in 5 years time - will music streaming services burnt each other out? Will we go back to downloading and keeping music? I do :)

12. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Why wait?

For that matter, chain yourself to Cue and Shiller.

13. ProsePrevails macrumors newbie

ProsePrevails

Good riddance. Apple Music is a mess and needs a complete restructuring. Dr. Dre - hopefully you’re next, along with Eddy Cue.

14. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

So you prefer Eddy????????????

15. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

In every interview I've seen or read of him, he seemed to have a real passion for what he was doing. That, to me, made him seem like a good fit with Apple. I'm wondering if he felt he had nothing left to contribute at Apple. Maybe he and Cue weren't seeing eye to eye. It does seem odd timing since Apple Music still has a ways to go to catch Spotify. I figured that he would leave once Apple Music solidified its place as the number one streaming service, not as a runner-up.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Seems to said about everyone that leaves Apple.

17. krause734 Suspended

krause734

Spotify > Apple Music
    Sennheiser > Beats
    Sayonara!

18. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Not a surprise. He wasn't doing a lot there after Apple Music launched and he's still looking to work in other areas of the music industry.

19. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

They're fine without him.

20. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I pretty much agree with the majority of posters before me. Iovine will not be missed at all. I doubt he’ll be replaced since he didn’t have an official title at Apple. However if he is, hopefully it’s with someone more competent.

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

I don’t understand the hate. His résumé is quite astounding.

22. robjulo macrumors 65816

Apple just got 10% less arrogant and condescending.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Take the money and run and don't let the door kick you in the rear on the way out.
    :cool:

24. KidAKidB macrumors 6502

KidAKidB

He'd probably do better there. Apple Music is a complete trainwreck.

25. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

True but 4 years for a music guy is a lifetime - he probably wants to put his experience to new challenges. He's probably bored to tears of the streaming industry - it's pretty shallow in't it.

26. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

"According to Billboard, Iovine's exit will be timed with the vesting of stock he acquired when first joining Apple."

There's the real passion.......