Jobs Tips Execs About Napster Security Flaw

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Chicago Tribune reports that Steve Jobs sent an email to top record industry executives about a recently exposed exploit allowing users to burn copy-protected Napster-To-Go content.

In the email, Jobs reportedly writes "Thought you should know if you haven't heard about this". Napster's CEO reportedly wrote a retort claiming that the exploit was neither new nor a problem only for Napster -- and pointed to a similar exploit for iTunes.

To be fair, these sort of save-unencoded content exploits are common, but Napster-To-Go's unlimited song-allowance does represent more content at risk per individual user/subscriber.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
As I say to my kids everyday when they want to tell me something..."are you about to tell on your sisters".

Nobody likes a rat.

Careful steve, glass houses and all.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
stubeeef said:
As I say to my kids everyday when they want to tell me something..."are you about to tell on your sisters".

Nobody likes a rat.

Careful steve, glass houses and all.
Agreed. Low class, at best. So many other ways that message could have "found" its way into the hands of the target audience.

Bad form.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It seems that when you are pointing someone else's flaws. You should first correct your own.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
This was in the news on Monday. Seems rather glass houses ish but at the same time, you get 14 days of unlimited streaming for free from Napster, and then you cancel and you've ripped as much as you can listen too over a 14 day period. Assuming songs are about 4 min long you could rip and save 5040 songs...

enough to fill that iPod for free contrary to the ads of Napster.

As far as the iTunes flaw, someone has to *buy* the music first to then distribute it, unlike Napsters little issue.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
seems a little sleazy, but was the email really written like so? I don't think that steve jobs would try to convince record companies that napster is unsafe. Or at least I hope not...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not very nice, if the angle referred here is true (didn't register for the Chichago Tribune, and definitly don't know the whole story). But, what the h***, I'd probably done the same... :D

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
All's fair...

So what if Steve emailed the Execs????
The Napster add that is going on in print, web & TV is pretty untruthful and low.
Some crap about iTunes + iPod filled with 10,000 songs = $10,000.... I don't remember the exacts but it is a lie. I have only bought about $200 worth of songs and downloaded another 200 for FREE through the Pepsi promotions. All the rest of the music that fills my iPod has come from the CD's that I own...
The problem with their ad is that they are fueling the same old stupid-ass misconception that Apple is the devil and that Apple's aren't worth the spit in a PC user's mouth.

GO STEVE GO!!!!! and while you are at it, can you get my iBook Logic Board repair pushed through faster??? ;)

(Using my good old fashion Power Mac 6500/225 running OS 8.6 to post tonight until my iBook comes back)

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Heard the same

I've heard from some people around the college I work at that they have been having a field day downloading and ripping the stuff. It's time consuming as hell, but these poor college kids have nothing better to do I think (they sure don't use it for studying!)

The bandwidth costs for napster must be huge over this too. They are't getting any revenue and if all these slurpers cancel after their free month, they'll have gigs of free stuff and not have to spend a dime.

At least the record companies are getting revenue from ITMS even if someone strips the DRM through whatever process...

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
I'm not interested in "hording" music or getting into a d--- measuring contest with somebody along the lines of "I have x gazillion songs on my player, how many do you have?" That being said...

My knee-jerk reaction to this story was Jobs must see Napster as a threat. However... Isn't this circumvention of security (Microsoft's "Janus" no less) a threat to legal download services as a whole? I mean, the last thing anyone wants to happen is some recording industry fossil to overreact, have a coronary and pull the plug on everybody.

This whole subscription service seemed dangerous to begin with. Not unlike pitching rocks at a beehive with no water source or getaway vehicle within miles. Basically, for $15/month one has access to thousands and thousands of songs which can supposedly be hacked and distributed. In iTMS, $15/month will get you 15 songs.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
If true -

If true that is - but tell you the truth it cost me $469 to fill my 40 gig iPod photo - since I collected music on CDs leagally for 19 years before I bought the iPod....

IF I added my napster/limewire collection - WHICH I have NOT - do to a wierd issues with staining my Apple product.... I would need 3 iPods - talk about not doing the math..... well I wish napster Luck - but ethics and age will have me using iTunes!

:eek:

d.perel said:
seems a little sleazy, but was the email really written like so? I don't think that steve jobs would try to convince record companies that napster is unsafe. Or at least I hope not...

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
After hearing of this flaw in Napster to Go, I had to try it out for myself. I soon gave up after 10 minutes because I couldn't navigate Napster's counterintuitive and confusing interface. There is no way you could download 5040 songs in 14 days, unless you downloaded albums at randon. Oh, lets not forget the poor music selection compared to ITMS.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
wdlove said:
It seems that when you are pointing someone else's flaws. You should first correct your own.
Not when Napster is sending out commercials berating iTunes. Have you watched them lately?

They're saying how, "Go with Napster and fill your player up for $10! iTunes makes you pay $10,000 to fill your player!" Now, Napster keeps you locked paying $10 a month for the rest of your life. Steve Jobs is giving them a, "Ha ha, your plan completely backfired".

It doesn't matter if iTunes has the same flaw. Because you have to buy the music before you can break the DRM. With Napster, you can pay $10, and break the DRM on their entire music library and STEAL 5 MILLION SONGS!

It's a real "Ha Ha" moment for Steve.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
too cool

Has been a long time since I was in college, but, I would bet that my dorm mates and friends would have figured out a way to divide the downloads into reasonably small chunks, and with 50 to 60 people participating, we would have downloaded ALL of the music in 2 weeks.

Funny, I kind of expect this to be happening as we speak...

LimitedEdition

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
If people are getting the songs for nothing off Napster, they're not going to be buying from iTunes either. Perhaps that's why Steve's email.

It's pretty funny that Napster originated as a pirate P2P network, and now it is commercial and legit, and what is different? They are still giving people effectively free access to millions of songs. (if you have a ripper prog)