John Gruber wants the iPhone X to start at $1500

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I like his reviews and he can be insightful with Apple and his experience over the years, but this article...Not so much.

2. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

The point I made is still valid.

For those in the fortunate position to purchase the top flagship iPhone the price has been starting to increase of late and this greediness from Gruber, were it to be adopted, would represent a huge uplift.

That price then cascades down to increase options for the other tiers, so everyone has the potential to lose out.

If you look back this never used to happen, iPhone pricing was very predictable for the first 6 years plus.

As for the Apple Watch Edition with no greater functionality than the Sport Model, it is an elitist vanity product. I don't want the iPhone to go the way of Vertu.

Fortunately I think Gruber is just talking out of his "seeming ever more entitled" ass so I don't think this will happen.

3. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Yet another odious comment by Gruber.

Between 2005 and say, 2013, Gruber hit one home run after another. During that time Apple was consistently underestimated and sometimes maligned by the majority of the tech press. Gruber, the macalope and a few others went against this ‘group think’ and, over time, were proven right.

Since 2013 however Apple has blown hot and cold but the likes of Gruber, Ritchie and Dalrymple continue to praise all aspects of Apple regardless. Their total lack of critical analysis has shown them up as the myopic fan boys they are, and probably always were.

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

1500 isnt too bad for the phone pro or whatever its called. Im sure there would exclusive features.

5. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

I love iPhones, much more than any other phone but how can 1500 be 'not bad'? That's over $600 more than the S8+. No doubt it'll be great and it has iOS which for me is a major factor for me buying iPhones, but come on.

That's a ridiculous price whether it brings new features or not. I wouldn't want anything other than an iPhone but Apple don't exactly bring out game changers every year, do they? Really can't see them including some amazing new tech nobody's ever heard of to justify a silly price.

6. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

Like what? The iPhone already has less features than many of the Android Flagships. The Note 7 had wireless charging, reduced bezels, and a Iris scanner and this year Apple will bring that to their pro phone and share 700 dollars more? What else are they going to add? OLED? Already in Samsung devices.

$1000 for a pro model okay sure. The 7 Plus is already 1000 in its maxed form so a 1000 iPhone pro isn't out of the world. But what would justify the extra 500 dollars based on the rumors? Nothing.

7. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Apple has to space the pricing a few hundred dollars apart otherwise why would people by a 7S
    My guess would be $1200 - $1500

8. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Anyone who thinks this is absurd is out of touch and not looking at the current product line.

The current 7+ tops out at $970 and the "7S+" will likely keep the same price point.

For the 8/Edition/Pro to be meaningfully differentiated from the 7S+ then the price will have to be a lot more then $1000.

Furthermore, if apple is having issues with volume production of the more advanced and ambitious model a higher price allows them to control demand such that it doesn't so far outstrip supply as to make them look bad.

$1500 is fine. This is not intended to be the phone most people buy. This is the halo device to draw attention before you buy the model you can actually afford from apples wide range of price points.

9. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Apple will probably make the OLED iPhone only available in higher storage capacities to the 7s/7s+. That would give it a little separation in the pricing. Along with maybe an extra $100 ish for being the premium model.

Still all rumours and nobody really knows anything.

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

You seem to ignore the fact that most consumers will want the redesigned iPhone. You really think most consumers will be okay once they find out that the model they really want is absurdly expensive? That's an obvious no.

11. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Not sure why I'm commenting further on this but oh well. If Apple really do release a $1,500 256gb 8/Pro/Whatever model (which would surely translate to £1,500 over here), it would be extremely arrogant of Apple to add features that other phones have had for years and try to justify such a massive price hike for them.

They'd be forcing lots of loyal customers who upgrade every year to 'make do' with a lesser model, which will already be a high price to pay.

12. blucasmobile macrumors newbie

$1500... It will still sell out. People are that stupid over Apple products. The iPhone 7 was a joke and it sold out too.

13. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Apparently we wouldn't know exactly what the iPhone is going to be. But considering having either 64 gb or 256 gb (per rumor) it might lead to 1000 at the least and knowing Apple to increase the phone price for the hell of it, and Apple care. If high tier wireless charging is exclusive...well...then...add that.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 4, 2017 ---
    Gotta add Apple care and 256 gb. But Apple is known to increase the price regardless.

14. Cryates macrumors 65816

These takes on Gruber are so bad. He's one of the best writers re: Apple products. So he made a comment on something he'd like to see, which may or may not happen. Big deal?

I kinda get his point. Give Apple, with their resources, the power to create a device at a price the market has never seen, which will inevitably be packed with things that push technology forward, and see how the market responds. I'd guess the market, the market being us, would respond by opening our wallets.

15. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I think he is correct that Apple is going to have 2 tiers of products - the lower tier for the iPhone 7s/7s+, which will be the typical pricing - and a premium tier for the iPhone Pro/X/Edition, which will be priced as a luxury product.

The average person will not be able to afford the premium tier and that will make it even more desirable for those of us who can afford it.
    The average person is simply not going to be able to afford it, which will make it all the more attractive to those of us who can afford it.
    Exactly. What is going to happen is that people who have the cash and want the bleeding edge of technology will pay the price. The average Joe can't so they will stick with the lower tier phones. The AMOLED displays are in short supply so they can price them higher and the people who want them and can afford them will pay more for them.

16. thadoggfather, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Gruber is clearly demonstrating how out of touch he is with the average consumer by saying this.

He wants to see what an iPhone 8 costing 'at least' 1500 would result in? thick profit margins for Apple :D

And me almost 1000 percent holding onto my 7Plus instead of paying MacBook Pro prices

Cost alone doesn't determine level of innovation... As indicated by the $1229 pricetag of the 512gb LTE 12.9" iPad.

17. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Basic marketing. You think most people buy the corvette or CTS-V or S600 or M5? Or do they become aware of the brand and product through them and then buy a related downmarket product?

Do most people fly first class? They sure show first class in every airline ad though don't they? Doesn't seem to hurt the airlines ability to fill seats.

Etc etc.

18. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Really?

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

And to think, some people accuse Apple users of being elitists who don't want "average" people to be able to afford the same products as them, and care more about having the most exclusive product than the best one. :rolleyes:

20. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

This is where things are changing.

The 7S and Plus would've previously moved down a tier in pricing even with the slight improvements they will receive.

The 8 being the flagship would take over at the previous top price point.

Price creep over the last few years has eroded this model and now some seem to be looking for a significant increase.
    Agreed - and that is not a good long term business strategy to alienate those that have been loyal purchasers of the top model for many years.

To some extent the profitability generated from these users subsidises decisions such as the welcome introduction of the SE model etc.

21. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Yes really, just like a bunch of people had no idea who Ming-Chi Kuo was. This guy seems irrelevant since he’s never been mentioned any of the news outlets I frequent. I’ve kept up with every iPhone/apple product since the iPhone 5.

22. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

You are out of your mind if you think Apple is making the redesigned iPhone start at $1500 this fall.

23. pezkiln macrumors newbie

That's just ridiculous. No one needs a $1500 phone. And very few actually want one.

24. Small White Car, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not a "redesigned iPhone."

It's an additional iPhone. You've completely misunderstood what he wants. It's no wonder you think it's a terrible idea.

A Mac Mini and a Mac Pro shouldn't be the same or cost the same. And they're not. Why shouldn't phones work the same way?

And I bet a lot of people who bought a MacBook would have liked a MacBook Pro if it cost the same.

So by your logic Apple should have just stopped making MacBook Pros to make those people happy.

It doesn't work that way.