John Gruber wants the iPhone X to start at $1500

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Jul 4, 2017.

1. thadoggfather, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

It is quite absurd IMO the rumor has gone from a steady "iPhone 8 could start over 1000 dollars" to "I wish it was starting at 1500"

A speculated 50 percent increase from bordering on an amount people might not object to if they see the value in the additions

Resell value will be GARBAGE too.

I know phones aren't investments but you will definitely be throwing money to the wind if you're an "every year"er In resell

Unless of course you really want 2017 escapism that badly, lol

What I'm wondering is what will justify the cost? Of course we don't know but an OLED screen? Trimmed bezels? An extension of the jet black, glossy theme, taken to new heights?

How is 1500 needed for any/all of that?

2. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Add tax and AC+ and I'm at $1500 :D

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Hey...you gotta pay to play. :D

4. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I'm also curious what kinda magic apple will have up their sleeves to make OLED screens have as good sunlight/outdoor visibility as the p3 screens in 7/7Plus

That's kinda the Achilles heel of the tech afaik

Infinite blacks, and insane unbelievable contrast are certainly welcome tho!

Or maybe they won't and that will be the trade off. Like people getting the stainless steel watches with sapphire crystal and it being inferior to the standard sport edition with glass face, outdoors, etc :D

5. bufffilm, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The real speculation will be if all the redesign goodies will move to the 8/+ models the following year - 2018.

The numbers seem to indicate OLED will be rolled out to the 5.5" model for sure in 2018, and maybe even the 4.7" model.

So what features will be exclusive to the anniversary model and no where else, even in 2018?

People are really paying a premium this year for the redesign...not worth it IYAM, but it's only money, right? :)

One thing Apple might do is this: the regular phones may get OLED in 2018, but the no-bezels/special touch area/advanced battery/etc may be held out from the ip8/+.

6. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

I've never owned an iPad, I can only talk about my experience with iPhones, in response to someone considering who was a move to the S8 , which I did.

I've also had experience with Android phones via friends and as a work phone on occasions.

iPhones are software supported for at least 4 years and every iOS update for iPhone contains security updates of some sort.

7. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

Phones already are eye-wateringly expensive, so that isn't saying much.

The leaks and rumours about this new mythical beast don't suggest anything that sprints ahead of the market. The rumoured new features would all be very welcome but they'd just be bringing the iPhone in line with the best of the android flagships. Even at £1000, the new iPhone would be upwards of £250 more expensive than its rivals, so it would have to be something special to warrant even that price tag.

And if the conclusion of the mainstream tech press in September is "great phone, but utterly overpriced therefore we don't recommend it at all, three and a half stars", whichever way you look at it that's a significant blow to Apple. Yes, it would still sell in mass because it's an iPhone, but it would make the alternatives more credible.

8. 576316, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

576316 macrumors 601

Like...like...like...having an Apple on the back of it? Cause you know that's how Apple think...

They always do anyway, more so every year. It's just that Android sucks and so most iOS users wouldn't dream of switching even if they like the hardware. It seems as if the iPhone gets harder to justify ever year, this new one will be no different. Apple will just expect you to allow them to rip you off, and you accept such an honour gracefully.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2017 ---
    People will always justify the cost in their minds, when it's an Apple product. Regardless of if the purchase is completely unnecessary and you know you're being ripped off. It's not difficult to understand that Apple pray on the gullible. Yes, Apple products are just better, but I think some people allow themselves to be a little too susceptible to their marketing.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Lucky! I got 0, ZERO updates on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro - a $500 iPad replacement that Samsung promised would beat Apple. It never got one update. My Samsung Galaxy Tab C was stuck on an old android version and never got an OS update on that either.

My iPad Mini 2 is in use by my grandma on the latest iOS (I think?). My iPad Mini 4 is in use by my wife with the latest iOS, I have another family member with an iPad 3 - which enjoyed iOS 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

Now, in your support - I had a Nexus 7 2014 that was ... one of my most favorite tablets ever - that got updates and so much use, it will always have a place in my heart. And yeah, Android does allow you to get apps as long as your OS isn't too old. I usually send off devices to family/Ebay before they get too old so I don't have a lot of experience with it.

I guess I learned my lesson with Samsung :p.

10. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    As you know, updates for Android and iOS are not the same animal.

Personally, I don't care if most of my Android devices never get updated between major named versions. After all, you can skin them any way you want. And the core apps can be updated on their own, unlike with iOS. Moreover, Google provides wedge libraries to compile into apps to often give them access to updated APIs on even non-updated versions.

As for getting higher numbered versions on my iPads, like many people here, I wish I had not allowed them and/or could go back. Each version got progressively slower and used more memory, without giving me any of the additional benefits (like ad blocking) that newer devices got with the supposed "same" version number. Not to mention getting flakier, with more of that frustrating "this web page had an error so it was reloaded".

YMMV.

11. The_Machine macrumors newbie

The_Machine

Someone should notify Samsung that they are leaving hundreds and hundreds on the table by not charging $1500 for their glossy, nearly bezel less OLED phones. This thread demonstrates there are clearly some consumers out there who think this tech justifies charging that much. :p