John Gruber wants the iPhone X to start at $1500

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jerion macrumors newbie

Gruber generally has good insight into how Apple thinks, how it operates, what its institutional priorities are. This often lets him put 2+2 together and make a very shiny 4 crafted from a single piece of alumin-i-um. But...he has on occasion displayed a complete lack of common-person perspective on the monetary value of things. Not on where/how people assign value, or even on what makes a product worth the money, but simply regarding the scale of a dollar's value in everyday budgets. $1000 is a substantial amount of money for an individual purchase for most individual people, regardless of what they might be happy to spend it on. I'm really not sure if he 'gets' this.

2. Pineapple24 macrumors member

Pineapple24

Reminds me of people (on here at MacRumors) who were complaining that "teenagers" were able to get the iPhone now (this was around when the iPhone 5 was launched).

What they really meant = I want to be the only one who has one (can afford one) because I'm better than you all.

3. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

I don't neccessarily disagree with what you're saying but would just add that typically teenagers mostly live at home on Mom/Dads dollars and pay no room/board or much of anything else either including food. So having perhaps a part time job they can blow all or most of it on an iphone, While their parents are on the hook for everything and maybe get a lesser phone or at least postpone upgrading. IMO, it;s more the teenagers who have an ego to satisfy among their peers by showing off the latest and greats tech.

4. thadoggfather, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

It is interesting his response to criticism, linking this thread, states “I said the iPhone could start at 1500”

Didn’t he say he wished it started at 1500 in the article before that?

Sounds like inconsistency / he knows something we don't

5. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

The issue isn't a $1500 iPhone existing, it's the idea that after all this time Apple would redesign the iPhone and start it at that price. That's what makes zero business sense. Even $1100 as a base model price would cause a great deal of backlash.

6. Cryates macrumors 65816

Every iPhone causes some reason for backlash lol.

Whaaaa no headphone jack
    Whaaaa same boring design
    Whaaaa camera bump

Yet they still fly off the shelves. This will be no different.

7. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

People are more elastic to price than compromised physical features imo

It’s a good part of why people hold onto macs. Mostly people don’t want to pay 1500+ every year

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I disagree. An enormous price hike for the 'best' iPhone that most will want is very different than losing a headphone jack or a larger camera bump. Apples and oranges really.

9. craigio85 macrumors regular

I agree. I know a lot of people who own an iPhone 7 and I haven't heard anybody complain about the loss of the headphone jack. In my experience, the vast majority of iPhone owners only ever use the bundled EarPods anyways.

But making an iPhone more expensive than a MacBook would be suicide. Especially when the only expected selling points of the new model would put it on par with the S8 which would be retailing for almost half the price.

10. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

The only scenario where I can logically see this being reality is where the 7S is somehow a redesigned model. There are just too many people waiting for a new design for Apple to suddenly tell them they need to pay 80% more than last time if they want an Apple phone that looks different to the one they own. Can you imagine the ridicule they'd receive in the media.

Also, Apple tried the whole 'exclusive device' thing before with the gold Apple Watch, and we all know how that turned out.

11. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

$1500 dollars? That's the cost of a Mbp. I really will be done with apple's smartphones if iPhone 8 starts at that price.

12. BritishApple macrumors regular

He thinks it'll be called iPhone Pro? Really?

What is a "Pro" phone? It's a phone. It makes calls and takes messages, what more can it do than a "regular" iPhone to make it a "Professional" phone?

Gruber likes the sound of his own voice too much.

13. jomarr macrumors member

I won't pay 1500 for a phone. Considering I have a 6s right now (terrible battery but putting it on Low Power Mode 24/7 did wonders), if the rumors are true which I highly doubt, I might just get a 7 Plus or an SE as an upgrade.

14. digitalexplr macrumors regular

digitalexplr

My daughter just got an S8. Very impressive. If Apple feels the need to charge $1500 for a comparable device, I will seriously consider going back to Samsung.

15. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I think the pricing of the iPad line is a preview of what you can expect with the iPhone.

You have an 'iPad" and an 'iPad Pro" that's about $300 more than the 'iPad."

I expect 7S/7S+ to be the same price as the current phones, and an 'iPhone X" to be $300 more. So you will have a "regular iPhone" and a "special iPhone."

Otherwise, Apple wouldn't bother with the 7S/7S+. If Apple is actually releasing a 7S/7S+, the iPhone X by definition has to be much more expensive.

16. ry-guy macrumors member

ry-guy

But if it has the same software, whats the difference? Apple has no more innovation in the pipeline, so they better milk their products for all they are worth.

17. Dave245 macrumors 601

Wow did that really happen? I wasn't a member then so I can't comment, but that's not cool if it is correct.

I don't think that it means that tho at all, just because someone can afford something that other people can't doesn't mean they think themselves better, for example I will be buying the iPhone 8 if it costs £1000 it doesn't really bother me, I don't think I'm better than anyone for a second just because I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to do so!

18. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

My god these comments are so idiotic. I remember like fifteen years ago when  fans were among the more intelligent. Now its a bunch of dumb uncles who gets their news from the sidebar on facebook.

19. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Would you feel the same if the new redesigned iPhone cost $999?

20. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

If Android had regular security updates for up to 4 years plus across all models of phone, I'd have no issues switching.

Some of the phone hardware available is superb and compares well with the iPhone.

[Not that I keep my phones for 4 years, but I do sometimes pass them onto relatives and apart from that, the security updates even in the first 2 years are not regular enough in comparison to iOS]

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Glad you weren't around my friend on the 4th of July week!
    I hadn't seen him in about 4 months and the same vacation house we always go to has the trusty old 3.5mm jack hanging off a Bose system (no Bluetooth, etc) as it's always been and he forgot his dongle and we had no way to buy one..

He was pissed essentially for 4 days about it..

Worked out OK from my view, as we listened to my music (which I prefer) off my SE with that handy built in jack.. ;-)

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I didn't get four years of updates with my old iPads.

In fact, with iOS, even supposed updates to a certain version number were often meaningless, as Apple gives the same version number even if half of the new features are missing in older devices, as they often are.

I can't even update Safari to get security fixes on my old iPads. At least on Android, all the apps are separate from the OS and most can still get updates, even on old devices.

Another good thing that Google does is do on-device malware scanning via their Playstore service, which again is updated on its own.

In short, I feel more updated on older Android devices than on older iOS devices.

23. cfountain72 macrumors member

This feels similar to the kind of trial balloons that politicians use to gauge reactions to their ideas by 'leaking' them without actually tying the ideas to the politician. It also reminds of the pre-iPad talk about how it might cost $1,000. This set expectations so that when the product actually came out, it seemed like a relative bargain at around $400-$600. Tossing the $1,500 figure out at this point will make a $1,000 or $1,200 seem like a relative 'bargain'.

Gruber played a similar role before and during the Apple Watch rollout, by pointing out the fact to the uninitiated that high quality Swiss watches time pieces (and sometimes even their bands!) routinely run into the thousands of dollars. Again, this made the Apple Watch seem like a relative steal by comparison.

(ps: To be clear, I'm not saying Gruber isn't his own man, or that he works for Apple in some capacity.)

24. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Well get ready for it! Cause here it comeeeessssssss!!!!!!!! Can't innovate, my a**! They're great at innovating prices! COURAGE!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2017 ---
    Anyone who thinks this new mythical beast of an iPhone will be anything less than eye wateringly expensive is very, very mistaken.

25. bufffilm, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I know there are buyers for the new phone, but I still think the starting price will be comfortably lower than $1500...more like $1200.

That's USA of course...so adjust accordingly for UK, EU, etc.