Johny Srouji Reportedly Staying at Apple, Not in the Running for Intel CEO

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a report last week that Apple's chipmaking chief Johny Srouji was on Intel's list of candidates for CEO, The Motley Fool's Ashraf Eassa says that Srouji has informed his team that he will be staying at Apple.

[​IMG]

Eassa, who follows Intel very closely, has offered no other details on the situation, so it's unclear whether Srouji was never seriously considered, withdrew his name, or was passed over as Intel narrowed its list.

Srouji spent over a decade at Intel from 1993 to 2005, bookended by a couple of brief stints at IBM. He joined Apple in 2008 to lead development of Apple's custom A-series chips starting with the A4 that appeared in the iPhone 4.

Since late 2015, Srouji has been a member of Apple's senior executive staff, reporting directly to Tim Cook and overseeing Apple's custom work on batteries, application processors, storage controllers, sensors silicon, display silicon, and other chipsets.

Article Link: Johny Srouji Reportedly Staying at Apple, Not in the Running for Intel CEO

2. CPark98 macrumors regular

We all knew this. Intel is a sinking ship without a captain and Apple will once again dominate over big blue.

3. citysnaps macrumors 601

Excellent news (if true)!

In other good news...AAPL was up 3.3% today.

4. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Awesome news, his work is nothing short of incredible...

5. AngerDanger, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

This is excellent for Apple and terrifying for any employees that get caught in his gaze. :eek:

Srouji.gif

6. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Tim gave him the stare of death as he considered to jump to intel.

7. igneousc macrumors regular

oh thank god, he could have done some great work at Intel, but his impact at apple is far more important.

8. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Makes sense. Apple has its own unique culture, and I doubt Srouji would have been able to replicate it anyways had he jumped ship to another company.

9. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Holy **** that's disturbing. Good thing I just checked MacRumors before going to bed....

10. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I’ll bet they backed up the Brinks truck to his house and just dumped money for him to stay.

11. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

The guy is extremely valuable to Apple and I’d guess the future is brighter at Apple than at Intel particularly in mobile silicon.

12. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Why leave to attempt to rescue a sinking ship when you are already building the future and life boats that’s gonna rescue even your own product line?

13. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Now that’s just wrong...lol

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Especially on the T2 chip. /S

15. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

RE: "Since late 2015, Srouji has been a member of Apple's senior executive staff, reporting directly to Tim Cook and overseeing Apple's custom work on batteries, application processors, storage controllers, sensors silicon, display silicon, and other chipsets."

Then he is the ONE who is Responsible for figuring-out what's wrong with the A12 Performance Controller & it's associated low-level OS software in the XR !

Camera Ramp-Up Perf is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE compared to the 7+, which is a Gem !

My XR has less than 1/2 the Perf of my 7+ when using the Camera !

IMO, the true street value of my XR is less than 1/2 of what I paid for my 7+ when new, $769 USD.

That number is $384.50 USD ! ... that's what I think an XR is worth ! ... it's true worth !!

16. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I love my XR, just wish it were smaller. I don't notice any slowness with the camera at all.

17. WatchFromAfar macrumors 68000

WatchFromAfar

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

It isn't a loss to Intel considering Intel fans thought it was a weird idea to have him at the helm.

19. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

kind of makes you wonder that he probably sees far more amazing things on the horizon at Apple instead of Intel

20. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Wow, this really does signal good things ahead.

21. cameraobscura macrumors newbie

cameraobscura

Apples problems are hardware and software integrated... Him staying is his own space. Intel Chips are always ok. Happy he stayed on board. Maybe he can 'Old School' Apple into re-inventing again.

22. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

What’s wrong with the T2 chips? It serves its intended purpose very well.

23. BigBoy2018, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019

BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

BigBoy2018

Ah, so I guess you worked at both Apple and Intel then and can surmise that no one acclimated to the 'Apple' culture could feel comfortable in the 'Intel' culture?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2019 ---

24. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Interesting to see him pass up CEO, even if it is at a struggling company right now. He probably wasn't meant to be in the role.

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

IBM and Apple don't really compete in anything. Apple pulled out of the dedicated server hardware market 9 years ago when Xserve was discontinued and IBM pulled out of the consumer hardware market 14 years ago when Lenovo acquired ThinkPad.

IBM makes a lot of software that could be said to compete with stock Mac software... but as Apple's stuff is free and not on Windows, I think IBM views Microsoft's Office and Exchange as the competition in that domain. I don't think anyone is split between whether to use iWork or Lotus/IBM Notes.