Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
I agree!
Too often people carp about how bad Tim Cook is for Apple, so it's time for "Put up or Shut up."

Let's start seeing a list of credible names of people who would do a better job regardless of where they currently work.
just because we don't know a person or a name it doesn't mean that person can't do a better job than cook
let me try to explain again
it doesn't necessary has to be someone that is already working on apple or a known name or person
someone can come out of nowhere and do a much better job than cook

if the person is smart enough and have a good vision of the future
something that cook doesn't have, he don't even have a good vision of the present

so just because is an unknown person it doesn't necessary mean that is going to do a bad job

so putting up a least of names is totally irrelevant

if you like Tim cook as apple CEO I respect that
but you can't force Tim down people's throat either
you also have to respect the ones that don't like Tim
same way I respect that you like Tim and you approved him as a good CEO
but for me he is not the right person, he is not that bad but he can be a lot better

just because Steve is no longer with us it doesn't mean to let the mac die
apple under Steve= good quality, good fair reasonable price
apple under Tim = lower quality, not bad but lower than average, ridiculous high and unreasonable price

you don't have to think like me or agreed with my comment
but I don't have to think like you either

so how is that for put up or shut up

I didn't mean no disrespect I just wanted to be clear

regards

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Don't know about "anything". But Cook, the professional manager, has transformed the company in his own industrial engineering, business school image.
He’s transformed Apple into the envy of the business world.

He’s transformed their entire supply chain to get out of manufacturing and streamline their suppliers into a world class machine.

He’s also led the best mobile silicon in the industry, the best and most innovative wearables in Watch and AirPods, sells 3X the iPhones Jobs ever did, the first $1T company, and created a $45B services juggernaut growing at 20%.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
anybody will be better than Tim Cook
now seriously, maybe Craig Federighi
some one who understand the software and the hardware

Steve used to make the keynotes and he was the CEO but he knew about everything
Tim doesn't knows about software or hardware and he also lack in the charisma department
he doesn't seem to have the same passion that Steve had
the way Steve explained things made you feel like a child wanting a new toy

I know he is gone and many people might say get over it
but I personally don't like what Tim been doing with apple lately
lower standards meaning lower quality at higher prices
the abandoned Mac Pro , I have many reasons, but is ok if you think different
is not nothing personal but I think apple could be doing a lot better
with someone who knows how strategically target every apple department
iPhone, watches, iPad, macs etc
instead they are only targeting iPhone, iPad everything else first
and the macs at the bottom of the priority list and the mac pro out of the list
not even on the list lol

before apple was a phone company, apple was a computer company,
I understand we have to involve and move on etc. but never abandon your roots

I remember someone who once said, my goal is to make the best computers
but Tim doesn't share that same goal or vision
instead Tim goal is to make even more money by lowering components quality

it all depends on the generation, I'm more like a computer man than a device user
I prefer powerful computers, I do have an iPhone but I don't like phones
I have an iPad because I need it for my drone as a screen

while iphones and ipads lovers might be perfectly happy with tim as CEO because they don't use or care about computers

nothing personal but I don't think Tim is the right person to be apple CEO
because tim give more priority to devices and I want or need someone who also support the mac pro

Craig Federighi is photogenic and does a good job delivering keynote segments. That does not make him an outstanding CEO choice.

Who else? Try and scratch deeper, much deeper, than keynote stage optics.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
Craig Federighi is photogenic and does a good job delivering keynote segments. That does not make him an outstanding CEO choice.

Who else? Try and scratch deeper, much deeper, than keynote stage optics.
haha you are too much
honestly I don't have to search for names for you to put the approve seal
because if you don't like the person for whatever reason then you are going to look for an excuse to say that he is no good or not qualify for the CEO position

simply because you are a Tim cook supporter

but if i say that I don't like tim then you will say that i am wrong that tim is very good
is more than obvious that you are happy or satisfied with Tim as apple CEO but I'm not

I understand and I'm aware that people think diferent and have different opinions, taste and
different point of view

if I ask you to do the same thing probably the ones you like I don't like them either
so you have to look for the ones you like
for me honestly anyone who can connect better with the costumer will do

someone who's goal is not to make the rich richer
there is nothing wrong with making money or getting pay
but at least give something in return

like a said before many iPhone users and iPad users don't see nothing wrong
but someone who likes mac pro computers
can be completely furious with Tim because the last mac pro is from 2013

but we get iPads, iPhone's watches every year
the only reason why some devices don't sell is because of the ridiculous price tag

I also understand that apple is not a computer company anymore
the dream to make the best computers die with Steve
Tim could it continue the legacy or try to pay tribute to Steve by trying to fulfil Steve dream
but that is not Tim goal or he is looking in to the making more money direction
instead of giving the best device to the costumer

I don't mind paying for something that is expensive as long as is worth it and is worth the price
but no one is going to pay for an obsolete overprice device

I'm done here, you can say that Tim is good all you want and I'm cool with that
but you can't asked me to like Tim if I think that he is no good

this is just my opinion and how I feel about it, you don't have to agree with it
I respect when someone see things different than me

no problem here, is completely cool

cheers

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
haha you are too much
because if you don't like the person for whatever reason then you are going to look for an excuse to say that he is no good or not qualify for the CEO position

but if i say that I don't like tim then you will say that i am wrong that tim is very good
is more than obvious that you are happy or satisfied with Tim as apple CEO but I'm not

I understand and I'm aware that people think diferent and have different opinions, taste and
different point of view

if I ask you to do the same thing probably the ones you like I don't like them either

the only reason why some devices don't sell is because of the ridiculous price tag

Tim could it continue the legacy or try to pay tribute to Steve by trying to fulfil Steve dream

I don't mind paying for something that is expensive as long as is worth it and is worth the price

this is just my opinion and how I feel about it, you don't have to agree with it

cheers

No...It's not that at all. So many people say TC needs to go, as if it would be so easy to find an outstanding person to fill his shoes.

But when it comes to suggesting suitable leaders, and can articulate why they'd be outstanding candidates, well, it's pretty much crickets.

Oh well...

shpankey

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
I don't care about Apple having record profits. I want them to be profitable, sure, but only as a means to keep delivering incredible products. Jobs had vision, passion and a drive for perfection that lifted Apple into producing truly revolutionary devices, while also being incredibly profitable but not at the point of price gouging their consumers. It's a fine line to walk and most can't do it. In this way Cook will never measure up. He, in essence, is just steering a ship already built and set to sail. Also, his drive seems to only be around ever more increasing profit, with ever smaller innovations, even at the cost of alienating their loyal fanbase. It's not a sustainable strategy and can only ever end in a spiraling of ever more "less than" what it once was synonymous with. Incredible innovation.

Reactions: 617arg

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
haha you are too much

different point of view

cheers
Tim Cook has objectively been a great CEO when measured by the #1 job of a CEO...returning value to shareholders.

Apple has outperformed the index by over 50% since he took over.

Shareholders like him because him makes them money, which is why they voted for the board to new terms less than a year ago.

Ultimately, shareholders will decide if he stays or goes, so he’s not going until that changes.

This ignores the amazing job he’s done in the supply chain, services, wearables, leading silicon, and the huge boom in iPhone sales.

Reactions: citysnaps

alextu

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2015
just because we don't know a person or a name it doesn't mean that person can't do a better job than cook
let me try to explain again
it doesn't necessary has to be someone that is already working on apple or a known name or person
someone can come out of nowhere and do a much better job than cook

if the person is smart enough and have a good vision of the future
something that cook doesn't have, he don't even have a good vision of the present

so just because is an unknown person it doesn't necessary mean that is going to do a bad job

so putting up a least of names is totally irrelevant

if you like Tim cook as apple CEO I respect that
but you can't force Tim down people's throat either
you also have to respect the ones that don't like Tim
same way I respect that you like Tim and you approved him as a good CEO
but for me he is not the right person, he is not that bad but he can be a lot better

just because Steve is no longer with us it doesn't mean to let the mac die
apple under Steve= good quality, good fair reasonable price
apple under Tim = lower quality, not bad but lower than average, ridiculous high and unreasonable price

you don't have to think like me or agreed with my comment
but I don't have to think like you either

so how is that for put up or shut up

I didn't mean no disrespect I just wanted to be clear

regards
anyone could have taken over and make
a bigger phone and have as much success as tim cook have had. lets judge tim cook on how he does with the products/services release under his tenure:

1. apple watch

2. homepod

3. apple pay

4. apple music

apple dont release apple watch sale figures so there is no way to know for sure how its doing. but at best sales are mediocre and its still a niche product even after 4 years

i dont think homepod is doing so well.
have not heard much about it since it was released other then to be available for sale in china

last i heard of apple pay was they were accepting it at taco bell and target. i dont think people care too much

apple music has had success and is now second only to spotify. but when you apple music app is preinstalled on millions and millions of iphones, you have a clear advantage

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
anyone could have taken over and make
a bigger phone and have as much success as tim cook have had. lets judge tim cook on how he does with the products/services release under his tenure:

1. apple watch

2. homepod

3. apple pay

4. apple music

apple dont release apple watch sale figures so there is no way to know for sure how its doing. but at best sales are mediocre and its still a niche product even after 4 years

i dont think homepod is doing so well.
have not heard much about it since it was released other then to be available for sale in china

last i heard of apple pay was they were accepting it at taco bell and target. i dont think people care too much

apple music has had success and is now second only to spotify. but when you apple music app is preinstalled on millions and millions of iphones, you have a clear advantage
You forgot AirPods, the most popular wearable tech in the world.

You also gave your opinion on each item which basically said you “heard” and “think” those things aren’t doing well. Where are your facts and data to support such statements? I’ll give you mine.

Wearables are growing at 50%

The watch is the most popular watch in the world, and Cook has accomplished other things you fail to recognize.

A $45B services business growing at 25%

Apple Pay which you said “you don’t think people care too much” just had more mobile transactions than PayPal and is doing over 1B transactions per quarter.

And yeah, Apple Music is successful because Apple sells so many iPhones and deliver a service people want. That means COOK gets credit for it.

The best mobile silicon in the industry. Not debatable.

He’s selling 3X as many iPhones at far higher ASPs than peak Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs selected Tim Cook to run Apple for a reason. Cook is a genius.

Roger67

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2017
He’s transformed Apple into the envy of the business world.

He’s transformed their entire supply chain to get out of manufacturing and streamline their suppliers into a world class machine.

He’s also led the best mobile silicon in the industry, the best and most innovative wearables in Watch and AirPods, sells 3X the iPhones Jobs ever did, the first $1T company, and created a $45B services juggernaut growing at 20%.

Thanks for backing me up. He's done what a very good manager can do with hocus pocus, aggressiveness, and given a money machine with as much potential as Apple had. But it's sputtering now. Yeah, I know Jobs picked Cook as his successor, a perverse choice because he must have known this would happen. There was a post recently in this forum that had a video of Steve Jobs damning such managers who exploit the present at the cost of the future. Maybe Jobs was thinking of his family.

Reactions: Baymowe335

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Thanks for backing me up. He's done what a very good manager can do with hocus pocus, aggressiveness, and given a money machine with as much potential as Apple had. But it's sputtering now. Yeah, I know Jobs picked Cook as his successor, a perverse choice because he must have known this would happen. There was a post recently in this forum that had a video of Steve Jobs damning such managers who exploit the present at the cost of the future. Maybe Jobs was thinking of his family.
I don’t really agree it’s sputtering now. They had one disappointing quarter and many other companies echoed the China concerns, including Intel and Samsung.

If you look at the stock price, it basically went from $160 to $230 in 5 months. It then dropped to $142 in 6 weeks. Amazon, Google, Facebook, Netflix, AMD and the entire market were down HUGE, some stocks down over 50%. It’s still recovering.

Bottom line, stocks move up and down. True, Apple didn’t have the ideal quarter, but they made $84B in 90 days. The facts of the company haven’t changed. China was by far the biggest factor in the revenue shortfall, but Apple has proven they can execute and that people want their products.

AAPL is trading at 10X earnings.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
We all knew this. Intel is a sinking ship without a captain and Apple will once again dominate over big blue.

Big blue is IBM, not Intel. And Apple is a ship without a captain. Tim Cook is rotten from the neck up and unfortunately, that leaves Apple in the same state.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
If he signed off on the XR he should be Fired immediately !

There is something seriously wrong, Memory-wise, with it !

It should NEVER have gone out the Door (to customers) !

It will be AAPL's BIGGEST Black Eye under Cook !

I now predict a Recall !

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
because tim give more priority to devices and I want or need someone who also support the mac pro
So you would support someone as Apple's CEO so long as he can give you a new Mac Pro, even if that decision ends up running Apple into the ground?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
anybody will be better than Tim Cook
now seriously, maybe Craig Federighi
some one who understand the software and the hardware

Steve used to make the keynotes and he was the CEO but he knew about everything
Tim doesn't knows about software or hardware and he also lack in the charisma department
he doesn't seem to have the same passion that Steve had
the way Steve explained things made you feel like a child wanting a new toy

I know he is gone and many people might say get over it
but I personally don't like what Tim been doing with apple lately
lower standards meaning lower quality at higher prices
the abandoned Mac Pro , I have many reasons, but is ok if you think different
is not nothing personal but I think apple could be doing a lot better
with someone who knows how strategically target every apple department
iPhone, watches, iPad, macs etc
instead they are only targeting iPhone, iPad everything else first
and the macs at the bottom of the priority list and the mac pro out of the list
not even on the list lol

before apple was a phone company, apple was a computer company,
I understand we have to involve and move on etc. but never abandon your roots

I remember someone who once said, my goal is to make the best computers
but Tim doesn't share that same goal or vision
instead Tim goal is to make even more money by lowering components quality

it all depends on the generation, I'm more like a computer man than a device user
I prefer powerful computers, I do have an iPhone but I don't like phones
I have an iPad because I need it for my drone as a screen

while iphones and ipads lovers might be perfectly happy with tim as CEO because they don't use or care about computers

If you don't think Apple would be mostly a device company at this point with anyone in charge, you're kidding yourself.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Where are your facts and data to support such statements? I’ll give you mine.

Wearables are growing at 50%
Perhaps I'm being dumb but I don't see you provide any "facts and data" to back-up your statement "Wearables are growing at 50%". Anyone can read anything into that. Do you mean they've gone from 100 units to 150 units? Has the growth slowed down from 75% to 50%? That statement is impossible to quantify as a good thing without numbers.

Reactions: PC_tech

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Perhaps I'm being dumb but I don't see you provide any "facts and data" to back-up your statement "Wearables are growing at 50%". Anyone can read anything into that. Do you mean they've gone from 100 units to 150 units? Has the growth slowed down from 75% to 50%? That statement is impossible to quantify as a good thing without numbers.
Let me give you some more context.

Tim Cook: “The revenue for wearables is already 50 percent more than iPod was at its peak.”

Apple CEO also said the Apple Watch and AirPods have sold between four and six times as many units as the iPod if you compare the numbers after a similar time period since the product's launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.