Johny Srouji Reportedly Staying at Apple, Not in the Running for Intel CEO

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
What’s wrong with the T2 chips? It serves its intended purpose very well.
Do you own a 2018 computer (especially a MacBook Pro) ?

If you have time, read through this 125+ page thread on the T2 Bridge OS faults in the 2018 MacBook Pro. The faults started over a year ago when Apple released the T2 in the iMac Pro and they continue to this day. Software and firmware updates have mitigated the problem but it still occurs.

wtzouris

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Do you own a 2018 computer (especially a MacBook Pro) ?

If you have time, read through this 125+ page thread on the T2 Bridge OS faults in the 2018 MacBook Pro. The faults started over a year ago when Apple released the T2 in the iMac Pro and they continue to this day. Software and firmware updates have mitigated the problem but it still occurs.
So the chip hardware has faults and they make software patches to fix them? I think that has been happening for a long time - remember the Intel Pentium chip error (The Pentium FDIV bug - Because of the bug, the processor might return incorrect binary floating point results when dividing a number.) also weren't some Y2K concerns fixed with software? I think a lot of these patches happen behind the black curtain.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So the chip hardware has faults and they make software patches to fix them? I think that has been happening for a long time - remember the Intel Pentium chip error (The Pentium FDIV bug - Because of the bug, the processor might return incorrect binary floating point results when dividing a number.) also weren't some Y2K concerns fixed with software? I think a lot of these patches happen behind the black curtain.
Yes but the problem has been going on for over a year. Some hardware issues can be completely mitigated in firmware / software while some issues can not.

My post was directed towards those people who think Johnny Srouji walks on water. The T2 chip shows instead that he can and has made major mistakes.

Reactions: heffsf

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Running an engineering division is a completely different role than running an entire company. Working at Apple, Johny doesn't have to deal with any of the minutiae that are involved in operating a global company. He gets to focus entirely on building next-generation silicon. And frankly, he's in a better position to define the future of silicon at Apple than at Intel or anywhere else.

falainber

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Why leave to attempt to rescue a sinking ship when you are already building the future and life boats that’s gonna rescue even your own product line?
Intel just reported record revenues (both quarterly and annual). Apple on the other hand just warned about revenue drop. Who is sinking exactly?
[doublepost=1548523758][/doublepost]
Ironically, this Pentium bug happened when the dude worked for Intel. Coincidence?
[doublepost=1548524066][/doublepost]
Smart move. No reason to switch to a dying company in an uphill battle. He has free reign to shape the future of computing with Apple.
Fanboyism much?

Intel has disclosed it achieved revenue growth in nearly every business segment in fourth-quater 2018, and in 2018 every segment of the business set new annual all-time revenue records.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Intel just reported record revenues (both quarterly and annual). Apple on the other hand just warned about revenue drop. Who is sinking exactly?
Ironically, this Pentium bug happened when the dude worked for Intel. Coincidence?
Fanboyism much?

Intel has disclosed it achieved revenue growth in nearly every business segment in fourth-quater 2018, and in 2018 every segment of the business set new annual all-time revenue records.
Nope, Apple destroys Intel in power per watt. Unless you expect the future of computing to always be plugged in, Intel is way behind. Their monopoly in the PC market doesn’t change that.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Fanboyism much?

CNBC seems to be telling a slightly different story - https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/intel-tanks-after-revenue-miss-and-weak-guidance.html

Reactions: Gasu E.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
It isn't a loss to Intel considering Intel fans thought it was a weird idea to have him at the helm.
There is this guy who was _really_ successful at creating chips with twice the performance of competitors. Yeah, absolutely no loss for Intel. And does Intel have fans? Except to keep their processors cool?
[doublepost=1548527502][/doublepost]
Apple was at its best when run by an Arab - Steve Jobs - so it’s about time another Arab took over. Anything’s better than the current CEO, who is an over-promoted warehouse manager.
Steve Jobs wasn't Arab. His parents were American and Syrian. American ≠ Arab, and Syrian ≠ Arab. So Apple was never run by an Arab. He was raised by an American family, so no relation to Syrian culture, and definitely no relation to Arab culture. In other words, what you say is total nonsense.

And the current CEO is the one who changed Apple from one of the most successful companies to _the_ most successful company. Whatever _you_ think of him, the fact is that Tim Cook is highly successful as Apple's CEO.

Roger67

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2017
Apple was at its best when run by an Arab - Steve Jobs - so it’s about time another Arab took over. Anything’s better than the current CEO, who is an over-promoted warehouse manager.
Don't know about "anything". But Cook, the professional manager, has transformed the company in his own industrial engineering, business school image.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
There is this guy who was _really_ successful at creating chips with twice the performance of competitors. Yeah, absolutely no loss for Intel. And does Intel have fans? Except to keep their processors cool?
Srouji led teams that created those processors, not himself. His focus is also on ARM processors, a field Intel has little interest in despite throwing money at and losing because they were so late to the game.

Jim Keller is a man to have, which is why Intel recently hired him.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
Honestly, with how much of a lead over their competition that the work his team gives Apple, he probably makes more than Jony Ive. Which is to say, he makes more money than he even know what to do with. He’s not going anywhere.

Reactions: rtomyj

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Fanboyism much?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/24/intel-earnings-suffer-from-iphone-softness-cloud-s.aspx

Williesleg

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2014
NY, NY
WTF, why would he jump to Intel? He can do nothing at Apple since they're turning into a services company, and get a great golden parachute in a few years. Bravo!

julesme

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I would expect he wants to stick around at least until Macs switch over to ARM processors and possibly until iOS merges with MacOS. He’s been driving Apple towards this goal for a long time and it’s arguably more important than anything he’s likely to accomplish at Intel.

Reactions: Sasparilla

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
Who do you recommend? Be specific with a few names, and explain why they'd be an outstanding choice.
anybody will be better than Tim Cook
now seriously, maybe Craig Federighi
some one who understand the software and the hardware

Steve used to make the keynotes and he was the CEO but he knew about everything
Tim doesn't knows about software or hardware and he also lack in the charisma department
he doesn't seem to have the same passion that Steve had
the way Steve explained things made you feel like a child wanting a new toy

I know he is gone and many people might say get over it
but I personally don't like what Tim been doing with apple lately
lower standards meaning lower quality at higher prices
the abandoned Mac Pro , I have many reasons, but is ok if you think different
is not nothing personal but I think apple could be doing a lot better
with someone who knows how strategically target every apple department
iPhone, watches, iPad, macs etc
instead they are only targeting iPhone, iPad everything else first
and the macs at the bottom of the priority list and the mac pro out of the list
not even on the list lol

before apple was a phone company, apple was a computer company,
I understand we have to involve and move on etc. but never abandon your roots

I remember someone who once said, my goal is to make the best computers
but Tim doesn't share that same goal or vision
instead Tim goal is to make even more money by lowering components quality

it all depends on the generation, I'm more like a computer man than a device user
I prefer powerful computers, I do have an iPhone but I don't like phones
I have an iPad because I need it for my drone as a screen

while iphones and ipads lovers might be perfectly happy with tim as CEO because they don't use or care about computers

nothing personal but I don't think Tim is the right person to be apple CEO
because tim give more priority to devices and I want or need someone who also support the mac pro

Last edited:

The Barron

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2009
Who do you recommend? Be specific with a few names, and explain why they'd be an outstanding choice.
I agree!
Too often people carp about how bad Tim Cook is for Apple, so it's time for "Put up or Shut up."

Let's start seeing a list of credible names of people who would do a better job regardless of where they currently work.