Johny Srouji Reportedly Staying at Apple, Not in the Running for Intel CEO

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Let me give you some more context.

Tim Cook: “The revenue for wearables is already 50 percent more than iPod was at its peak.”

Apple CEO also said the Apple Watch and AirPods have sold between four and six times as many units as the iPod if you compare the numbers after a similar time period since the product's launch.
So I'm reading the entire industries revenue for wearables is 50% more than a single company's music player, Throw your Garmans, Fitbits etc in that mix and that doesn't look good at all.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
I can live with all the other comments, yes they see things in a different way
but they express their opinion in a respectful way
which it is awesome, I wish everybody is that way, but some others don't do it that way when they disagreed

I understand your points and I'm not saying that they are not valid
yes TC is good for the share holders
but what about the costumer

apple it should not be about making money but unfortunately it is
apple should be about giving the best devices, the way it used to be

then get paid for it

yes apple still good but not as good as it used to be

trust me I know that apple is a mobile company, I'm aware of that

is just that I always wanted a new Mac Pro. that's all

but Tim doesn't believe in the 5 years obsolete rule when it comes to the Mac Pro

I guess Tim is sticking to where the money is

I got news for you Tm, maybe if you give that new Mac Pro for a reasonable price it will sale

but stopped asking for the amount of a brand new 2020 car

peace and regards
[doublepost=1548601442][/doublepost]
So you would support someone as Apple's CEO so long as he can give you a new Mac Pro, even if that decision ends up running Apple into the ground?
no, I don't want someone who only provide support for a few devices and leave all the other devices hanging
if you think that the new bendable iPad pro is awesome then be my guess
but apple under Tim has lower the quality standards while they have increase the price

if you are going to lower the quality then you should also lower the price
but are trying to be slick and try to rip people off

the time will come that people will get tired of it
and Tim won't be to sale any more iPhone even if they lower the price to 100 us dollars
look what happened in china
bad sales , why? because of the ridiculous price, there is also a new phone manufacturer company in china
with a much better price, is not rocket science

the only reason why apple still rolling is because they created their name decades ago
so they are living off their name and reputation

here, just hold the steering wheel tim, you don't have to do that much
just go up stage say a few words and smile
anybody can do that

i own an ipad and i don't know how Tim can say that and ipad replaces a pc
it doesn't

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
So I'm reading the entire industries revenue for wearables is 50% more than a single company's music player, Throw your Garmans, Fitbits etc in that mix and that doesn't look good at all.
Lord...watch the interview. He’s ONLY talking about Apple wearables and Apple revenue. He even says WATCH and AIRPODS.

Watch and AirPods are 50% more revenue than iPod at its PEAK.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68030
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I know why Srouji stays: he will lead the effort at Apple to turn the A-Series SoC into a high-powered CPU that will displace the Intel CPU's in future MacBook, Mac mini, iMac and even Mac Pro models by the early 2020's.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Lord...watch the interview. He’s ONLY talking about Apple wearables and Apple revenue. He even says WATCH and AIRPODS.

Watch and AirPods are 50% more revenue than iPod at its PEAK.
I tried to get some numbers, which proved difficult. One site said "Apple Watch Sales Soar To 8 Million In Last Quarter". Considering that the total sales of the Swatch group (over a dozen brands owned by the same company) is about 16 million watches a year, Apple might actually be the worlds largest watch manufacturer.
[doublepost=1548603915][/doublepost]
I don't think Tim could scare a fly if he tried.
Right, you couldn't scare a fly. But he could scare the CEO of Foxconn, or any other manufacturer, and that's what counts.
[doublepost=1548604061][/doublepost]
apple dont release apple watch sale figures so there is no way to know for sure how its doing. but at best sales are mediocre and its still a niche product even after 4 years
It is quite possible that Apple is the _largest_ watch manufacturer. Ahead of the Swatch group which consists of over a dozen well-known brands. You better tell the Swatch group that their sales are less than mediocre.
[doublepost=1548604201][/doublepost]
Apple Pay which you said “you don’t think people care too much” just had more mobile transactions than PayPal and is doing over 1B transactions per quarter.
I read eighteen first until I looked closer and saw you mean a billion :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Baymowe335

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
I tried to get some numbers, which proved difficult. One site said "Apple Watch Sales Soar To 8 Million In Last Quarter". Considering that the total sales of the Swatch group (over a dozen brands owned by the same company) is about 16 million watches a year, Apple might actually be the worlds largest watch manufacturer.
Right, you couldn't scare a fly. But he could scare the CEO of Foxconn, or any other manufacturer, and that's what counts.
It is quite possible that Apple is the _largest_ watch manufacturer. Ahead of the Swatch group which consists of over a dozen well-known brands. You better tell the Swatch group that their sales are less than mediocre.
Other products is mostly Watch and AirPods. Apple TV and HomePod are there, but I think everyone agrees those are small.

Just last quarter, Other Products was a $17.5B business. iPod at its peak was $4B in a quarter.

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
Apple was at its best when run by an Arab - Steve Jobs - so it’s about time another Arab took over. Anything’s better than the current CEO, who is an over-promoted warehouse manager.
I thought Steve was an American. Wasn't he born and raised in California? Also, I think you might have misidentified what made him unique.

alextu

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2015
apple place sale figure of the apple watch in the other category. the other category includes things such as dongles, airpods, accessories, beats...
people use the other category to see how the watch is doing, but this can be deceiving. how do you know for sure if the other category increase because they are selling a lot of dongles and airpods, or it increase because they sell more watch? the fact remains only apple know how many they are selling. the fact remains only apple know the real numbers and these estimates from research companies dont mean anything. and unless apple release numbers, anyone guess is as good as anyone else

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I agree!
Too often people carp about how bad Tim Cook is for Apple, so it's time for "Put up or Shut up."

Let's start seeing a list of credible names of people who would do a better job regardless of where they currently work.
Let’s see.

We want a visionary. Not someone who depends on others to imagine the future, and is as easily impressed as a proud grandparent.

We want someone who can appraise the merits of ideas for something other than their trendiness and earnings potential, insisting on product details that impress and empower Users.

We want a maverick who can speak candidly about unpopular policies or missteps. Not someone who has rehearsed what the PR and legal staffs have prepared.

We want someone with a rockstar attitude and Devil-may-care defiance. Not a conservative in jeans.

Two candidates come to mid:

Sir Richard Branson
John Legere

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I can live with all the other comments, yes they see things in a different way
but they express their opinion in a respectful way
which it is awesome, I wish everybody is that way, but some others don't do it that way when they disagreed

I understand your points and I'm not saying that they are not valid
yes TC is good for the share holders
but what about the costumer

apple it should not be about making money but unfortunately it is
apple should be about giving the best devices, the way it used to be

then get paid for it

yes apple still good but not as good as it used to be

trust me I know that apple is a mobile company, I'm aware of that

is just that I always wanted a new Mac Pro. that's all

but Tim doesn't believe in the 5 years obsolete rule when it comes to the Mac Pro

I guess Tim is sticking to where the money is

I got news for you Tm, maybe if you give that new Mac Pro for a reasonable price it will sale

but stopped asking for the amount of a brand new 2020 car

peace and regards
[doublepost=1548601442][/doublepost]
no, I don't want someone who only provide support for a few devices and leave all the other devices hanging
if you think that the new bendable iPad pro is awesome then be my guess
but apple under Tim has lower the quality standards while they have increase the price

if you are going to lower the quality then you should also lower the price
but are trying to be slick and try to rip people off

the time will come that people will get tired of it
and Tim won't be to sale any more iPhone even if they lower the price to 100 us dollars
look what happened in china
bad sales , why? because of the ridiculous price, there is also a new phone manufacturer company in china
with a much better price, is not rocket science

the only reason why apple still rolling is because they created their name decades ago
so they are living off their name and reputation

here, just hold the steering wheel tim, you don't have to do that much
just go up stage say a few words and smile
anybody can do that

i own an ipad and i don't know how Tim can say that and ipad replaces a pc
it doesn't
The iPad doesn’t replace a PC for me either. Doesn’t stop me from using it for hours on end a day for work, or clocking more hours than my Mac. And yes, I am using the 2018 iPad Pro. No case. No bends yet.

The Mac Pro is a niche product market which is unlikely to earn Apple any profit. It’s really there just to appease the pro market. I can understand why Apple has been less than enthusiastic about it.

It’s pretty clear what the future holds for Apple. My guess is that Apple will continue to give the best products for mobile and wearables. Not so much for the Mac. So it’s great time to embrace the mobile side of their business, not so much for the Mac aspect.

Reactions: Gogeta-Blue

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It’s pretty clear what the future holds for Apple. My guess is that Apple will continue to give the best products for mobile and wearables. Not so much for the Mac. So it’s great time to embrace the mobile side of their business, not so much for the Mac aspect.
It's much easier to predict the future needs of occupations than the future habits of consumers. The first group is slow to change; the latter group bores easily and chases the next novelty.

Currently, it looks like Apple is betting on consumer products and services. Yet, no lasting tech brand has survived on consumer products alone. If anything, Apple may have to double-down on tech for commercial use.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It's much easier to predict the future needs of occupations than the future habits of consumers. The first group is slow to change; the latter group bores easily and chases the next novelty.

Currently, it looks like Apple is betting on consumer products and services. Yet, no lasting tech brand has survived on consumer products alone. If anything, Apple may have to double-down on tech for commercial use.
Apple has done pretty well with primarily consumer products for most of their existence. They never had a big commercial presence.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Apple has done pretty well with primarily consumer products for most of their existence. They never had a big commercial presence.
You underestimate the Mac’s significance in every facet of the creative fields, including music, film, and publishing. They are popular with product designers and web designers.

Macs are still rare in suit-n-tie offices, but they are showing up in surprisingly hi-tech environments. Tonight, I spotted them in a 60 Minutes news story being used by a commercial satellite business to surveil the planet.

sakurarain

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
the best news for recent Apple.

BTW, we shall not complain Timmy too much (anyway complaining on high price is reasonable). i believe he is trying his best to run Apple. Running a company is far different than operating a devision / department. At least, for the moment, i do not thinkany other guy can do better than timmy.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You underestimate the Mac’s significance in every facet of the creative fields, including music, film, and publishing. They are popular with product designers and web designers.

Macs are still rare in suit-n-tie offices, but they are showing up in surprisingly hi-tech environments. Tonight, I spotted them in a 60 Minutes news story being used by a commercial satellite business to surveil the planet.
No, I know that Mac's are still important in a number of specific fields, but their consumer products are much more important and will be Apple's main focus moving forward. They'll obviously support both, but we know where the bulk of their efforts will be. iPhone's already have a strong business presence, iPad's could one day as well (barring some significant changes).

robjulo

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It's great to see the handful here at macrumors who are experts in smart phone design, marketing, engineering, production and IP law, are also experts in executive management and personnel hiring at major electronics companies. Truly blessed to be in the company of such amazing people who know everything.

hdrummon

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Aldie, VA
By the way, the Mac is one of the company preferred desktops offered to employees and many have done so. When I was there it had grown to 200,000 Macs. Others that came after me say the Mac is THE standard at IBM just as it is at Adobe when I was there.

Gogeta-Blue

Suspended
Dec 10, 2018
thanks mac rumors for deleting my post, just like britney spears, ops you did it again , what is the point on sharing an opinion if message is going to deleted, let me guess i have to lie and say that i like tim and that he is excellent, why i can’t be honest and tell the truth, i didn’t say nothing bad or offensive, other than just expessing my opinion following the rules but if i can’t say nothing then you can close my account because i don’t need it, let me guess , are you going to delete this message too ???

media hype

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
No, I know that Mac's are still important in a number of specific fields, but their consumer products are much more important and will be Apple's main focus moving forward. They'll obviously support both, but we know where the bulk of their efforts will be. iPhone's already have a strong business presence, iPad's could one day as well (barring some significant changes).
You’re confusing two discussions. One is the Mac’s significance. The other is whether Apple can depend on the consumer market alone to support it. It’s understandable. The Mac, after all, is the only mature productivity product that Apple can offer professionals. The Mac is no longer considered a consumer device by many.

The Mac question is easy. It is still the de facto Apple product used for professional purposes. iOS is still teething. Phones and tablets are still accessories. Their advantages are also their weaknesses when considered for many tasks: screen size, slower UI, and overly-sandboxed OS.

The other question—can Apple depend on the consumer market alone to survive—is debatable. My guess is that it’s risky, and that Apple will spend more effort focusing on commercial opportunities. I can’t name one consumer tech brand that has existed as long as Apple without marketing products for commercial use as well. Can you? In Apple’s case, the Mac (including laptops) is their bread and butter in that market. PC sales in general declined because consumers have replaced them with phones and tablets. Professionals haven’t abandoned the desktop or laptop. The challenge for Apple, is convincing enterprise that the Mac is worth the additional cost. That may be easier in the near future if Apple can develop its tools for AR applications.

Look at the projects that Apple is exploring. Self-driving car technology, health products, augmented reality tools. It’s not clear if any of these will be marketed directly to consumers. AR for example has meaningful value and countless potential applications in engineering, maintenance, and manufacturing. The AR software itself—whether for commercial or consumer products— has to be developed on the desktop. The Mac will have to evolve with AR tech, and will be indispensable.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You’re confusing two discussions. One is the Mac’s significance. The other is whether Apple can depend on the consumer market alone to support it. It’s understandable. The Mac, after all, is the only mature productivity product that Apple can offer professionals. The Mac is no longer considered a consumer device by many.

The Mac question is easy. It is still the de facto Apple product used for professional purposes. iOS is still teething. Phones and tablets are still accessories. Their advantages are also their weaknesses when considered for many tasks: screen size, slower UI, and overly-sandboxed OS.

The other question—can Apple depend on the consumer market alone to survive—is debatable. My guess is that it’s risky, and that Apple will spend more effort focusing on commercial opportunities. I can’t name one consumer tech brand that has existed as long as Apple without marketing products for commercial use as well. Can you? In Apple’s case, the Mac (including laptops) is their bread and butter in that market. PC sales in general declined because consumers have replaced them with phones and tablets. Professionals haven’t abandoned the desktop or laptop. The challenge for Apple, is convincing enterprise that the Mac is worth the additional cost. That may be easier in the near future if Apple can develop its tools for AR applications.

Look at the projects that Apple is exploring. Self-driving car technology, health products, augmented reality tools. It’s not clear if any of these will be marketed directly to consumers. AR for example has meaningful value and countless potential applications in engineering, maintenance, and manufacturing. The AR software itself—whether for commercial or consumer products— has to be developed on the desktop. The Mac will have to evolve with AR tech, and will be indispensable.
All correct. I am not disagreeing with what you are saying here. I understand the Mac and macOS will always have a place, but I think more revenue growth will come from more consumer focused products or services. You have a point though and I could definitely be wrong.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bet his salary just doubled
not salary ... stock options ... stock baby STOCK!!! That's where the big dinero is!

Smart move. No reason to switch to a dying company in an uphill battle. He has free reign to shape the future of computing with Apple.
I don't see Intel dying anytime soon ... maybe dieing but not dying ;)

see what I did right there ;)

Yeah Intel maybe already working on woldclass Arm based cpu's for servers or even for mobile devices ... something that may include modems therein. If they do this they may just well be Apple's golden child for their Arm computing for laptops/desktops.

Nope, Apple destroys Intel in power per watt. Unless you expect the future of computing to always be plugged in, Intel is way behind. Their monopoly in the PC market doesn’t change that.
Not on Desktop, Laptop, or server computing Apple doesn't. Until Apple can get their A-series, ARM-based cpu's with OSX singing on them ... completely different worlds.

When I see the likes of performance jump similar to when Emagic Logic ran 215 instruments simultaneously on G5 vs 50 on G4's when Panther was announced (the worlds first 64-bit cpu's) ... THEN I'll be supremely happy.

honestly the real issue is not chips, not beyond current battery capacity and consumption issues ... the problem is software. Most desktop software has not really but evolved to really push the limits of cpu's or gpu's ... Logic, and similar audio production software, or running all Adobe creative suite really.

High end, GPU intensive Games, AI ... REAL AI like IBM's Watson (which runs on their cloud computing farms), and mining bitcoin is the software or code implementations that REALLY pushes all level's of hardware.

BTW, no matter high you slice it ... the future of computing will ALWAYS be plugged in:
Plugged into battery operated portables, which have wireless high speed, high bandwidth, ultra-low or non-existent latencies ... or into cloud computing farms which are accessible with components/extensions from existing software or mobile AI that interfaces to people ... it's still "plugged in". The key is understanding WHERE and what systems at which point are plugged in.

Funny because dumbterminals was a thing of the past, connecting to Mainframes ... and now with different nomenclature are not too far from doing the same thing in various use cases today. ;)