Joining the exodus

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Nov 4, 2016.

1. macbook123, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

macbook123 macrumors 68000

I couldn't believe I would one day say&do this. Have been through enough Apple launches where new features and omissions initially didn't make sense, but as soon as I tried the product and played around with it a little they grew on me and eventually seemed the new normal.

Not so with the new Macbook Pro. Having used it for 4 days I can say with confidence that -- while it is a sleek device with a gorgeous screen -- I'm going to have to return what I got and learn to appreciate the competition.

A list of things that have bothered the heck out of me:

-- The lack of Macsafe is far more frustrating than I imagined. I miss the ease of plugging it in when I'm on the sofa, compared to the frustrating shoving with the USB-C. It's also really hard to remove at times! It also protrudes more and is less...safe. Also I have to get rid of all my old chargers...

-- The lack of a port for my displays. Just thought Thunderbolt/MDP had been established as the norm and now I can't use my three home and work displays without dongles? And there isn't even one from Apple offering 4k@60Hz. Crazy.

-- The lack of SD card slot. I use my MBP while on trips and excursions with the family. I put the SD card in all the time to offload things and check photos/videos I've taken. I can't do this with a dongle. I also can't transfer with a USB cable because it's too slow and hell that's another dongle to keep track off!

-- The lack of dedicated USB ports for charging my devices like my phone.

-- No 32 GB option. Ridiculous.

What's so infuriating about the lack of ports is that it wasn't necessary for Apple to omit these for the sake of slimming the laptop down. The tapering is so excessive (all in the name of showing off, not practical design) that significant height real estate got lost. That's not a good argument for omitting arguably one of the most important features of a personal computer -- connections.

2. the caveman macrumors 6502

All excellent points. Never thought id say this but i may have an XPS in my future.

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Sweet. See you back here in 6 months after your XPS arrives.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

Eh, I moved on to an XPS15..

If you're in the US, check your Best Buy open box - they had an XPS15 for $1600 that was 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    Why?

I have both (15" rMBP (2015) and XPS15), and they're both pretty nice. I even think the Dell surpasses the macbook in some areas (mainly dual booting linux, the dGPU, being user serviceable and upgradable to 32GB ram).

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Ive owned one previously and had a really horrible experience.

6. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I'm not a huge Dell fan, by any means. On the other hand, it is very noticeable to me that if I spent $1,500 on a "gaming" laptop, it'd meet or exceed every spec on the new MBP that I care about.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Also check out Dell Outlet.

Upgradable memory and SSD are huge pluses.

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

Can I ask what issues you had?

There were BSOD issues that have been patched with recent firmware updates. Mines been very stable after doing all the updates.

9. tubeexperience, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

That not even a Dell issue.

That's issue with buggy drivers from Intel.

That's why other devices with Skylake (Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, etc.) all have the same problems.

EDIT: I just want to point out that Intel has fixed the issue.

10. techspin macrumors 6502a

The lack of ports is ridiculous but you knew all of this before buying the new MBP. Did you also buy the iPhone 7 and return it because it doesn't have a headphone jack?

11. Softwarez macrumors member

I see that making final conclusions based on real user experiences must be too wild of a thought for you.

Sometimes, the benefit, or lack-thereof of features can't be fully appreciated by just reading a spec sheet. It takes actually using a device to figure stuff out. That's the great part about returns. One's decisions aren't always perfect.

12. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

lol

13. jjlannoo Suspended

Bye!! Maybe they are going more exclusive again. Fine by me.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    This is the most versatile MacBook Pro ever.

14. Queen6, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same here waited patiently for the 2016 MBP refresh of the MBP. My 2014 13" rMBP is now replaced by a Microsoft i7 Surface Book. 2016 MBP is; too little, too late, and too expensive for the value it represents. My systems are employed professionally so they must deliver, Apple is too far off the mark, catering for a different target audience.

One of the forum members named 2016 MBP as the "MacBook Amateur", personally I still believe "Pro" remains to be highly relevant, only the paradigm has now shifted to "Profit" over the customers needs; ever ridiculously priced in-house upgrades, dongles that Apple make dollars for every cent it spends o_O

The fate of the 15" rMBP remains to be seen, equally I have deferred any consideration of the new MBP until 2017/2018; 460 dGPU or better needs to be default and 32Gb needs to be an option. First time I have ever deferred or not bought a MBP since Apple brought them to the market...

Q-6
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    I now have a new Surface Book and have been pushing it to see how it performs. To date it has been absolutely rock sold. Intel & MS fixed the graphics driver issue earlier this year. Be assured there have been times when some of my Mac`s have come very close to being convertibles due to instability of the OS :)

Q-6

15. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I'd rather have a Surface Pro 4 + Macbook Pro 15" 2016, Surface Book with performance base looked even worse given the price / performance / ports / screen size / weight. But I have specific needs and 2016 rMBP is almost a perfect fit. Funny, right? And it's 2016, still no proper Windows alternatives.... P50s is close, but.... ultrabook CPU? seriously?

16. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Who are you punishing by doing this?... you or Apple?

17. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I don't think it's so much as "punishing" as much as it is "voting with your wallet"

18. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

What I find funny is that Apple could have kept the base of the laptop the same thickness and still could have had a thinner laptop. The display assembly is about 1mm thinner then the previous year which would have brought down the thickness to 17mm. They could have even shaved 1mm off of the base and still would have enough room to retain ports and had extra room for the battery. But they are so obsessed with making the device as thin as possible that they needed that 3mm drop in thickness..... Apple has always walked the line between thinner and usable. This time the finally leaped over it and are hopefully going to see the consequences.

19. Gualwer macrumors regular

I agree with you. I don't understand the point of removing Macsafe. I freaking loved it! it was smart, safe, and easy to use. Just like you I hate the USB type C used for charging it. I also dislike the lack of USB ports. I know USB type c may be the future, but Apple should had foreseen this and made updates on the new iPhone 7. Why not change the iPhone charger to USB-c to lightning? I had to spend $19 for a new cable and its very upsetting after spending 1600+ on this MacBook.

I also hate how loud the keyboard is, I don't know if its just me, but it is so loud compared to my MacBook Air 2103. I don't mind that there's no much travel when you press a key, but I really dislike the loud clicking. I also think the trackpad feels kind of cheap made as well.

I don't think I'll get something other than a Mac. Even though I'm not in love with the hardware, I still love the Mac OS and it makes life much easier for me and its something I can't give up just yet. So I'm gonna be using this Macbook 2016 for the next couple days and then decide if I'm keeping it or exchanging it for a MacBook 2015. Honestly as of now I feel like I may be returning it.

20. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Most versatile was the 17" with a multitude of ports, expansion card slot, standard storage drive and optical drive which could be easily replaced by with a second storage device.

The new ones are little more versatile than the MacBook. And if most people need docks to make it useable why bother spending more for the "pro" version?

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

You don't need a dongle to connect your displays, you just need a different cable.

The answer to the usb-a conversion is to buy the $9 Apple converter and leave it permanently attached to your lightning cable you keep with you. Then you always have a way to connect your phone to your laptop, always have the adapter if you need to connect a usb-a device, and you can leave your iPhone charge brick at home because you can use the one you carry for your MacBook.

As someone who has lived with a retina MacBook for the last 18 months most of the issues around the transition are overblown, and in fact, with the above setup, I carry fewer parts than I did in the past.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I only carry one dongle USBC to USBC, USBA and HDMI.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

voting with your wallet by choosing an inferior device? Before you buy, check comments on the Dell forums.

24. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

The xps 15 is a good alternative. Windows 10 is a great operating system, and Dell makes some killer hardware.

I have had a few bugs, but they have always been fixed promptly via updates. Just like my MacBook Pro.

I won't deny the new MacBooks are nice and tempting, but the limitations and price are rather offsetting.

If to wait for a deal, like I did (2 months ago, via slickdeals) you can get a great deal on an xps 15. I got a the newer model with 4K, i5, dGPU, 256 nvme ssd, and 8gbs ram. The ssd and ram are upgradable. The laptop has USB c, USB 3, so csrd slot, etc. The trackpad is as good as I have used on windows, and equal my experience on my 2015 MacBook Pro 13 retina.

I got the above laptop for $910. It was from the outlet, but was brand new. Came with the standard 1 year warranty (will send a tech to you house), and you can upgrade the warranty if you wish.

I mention this because, again, the new MacBooks are tempting. But what windows offers is also great, and in some areas superior. But the price is the kicker. To get a 15in MacBook Pro starts at $2399. That's a big price difference, no?

25. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Or I can check the forums for any product of anything ever made and see issues. Oh look! The new MacBooks drop wifi when connected to a device through thunderbolt.

Anyway...i think in your mind, anything that isn't apple probably is an inferior device to you