Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Sep 8, 2016
an apple car like a macbook pro? overpriced, poorly designed, needs dongles to charge or add fuel, and a little dust would make the car unusable, with no guarantee honoured because they could always say you drove somewhere you should't have, and replacing a tire requires you replacing half a car in an apple store and takes a month. And if the ca doesn't move your are probably sitting wrong. no. if their cars are like their macbook pros, I will not want to drive it.
Please.

Sep 8, 2016
Can't wait until Jony Ive finds out that the headphone jack and ports are still a thing. Nothing better than meeting up with other people and seeing what they're doing!
Another useless meme heard from!

Oh, where would we all be if it weren't for the DAILY reminders of what some random NOBODY is displeased-with?
[doublepost=1539977994][/doublepost]
Apple is all about incremental updates for maximum profits these days.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

And you will see that that is the case, come October 30th.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
To bad he can't use that "creatuve freedom" to design Macs that are actually useful to pros, have the ports people need and thermal envelopes that don't require massive throttling

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
I’m excited about the future. Hopefully the designs will have more utility though. Only so much you can remove before a good design is beautiful and useless.

Reactions: Tozovac

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009

If you genuinely have a concern for humanity, you will be preoccupied with trying to understand the implications, the consequences of creating something that hasn't existed before. I think it's part of the culture at Apple to believe that there is a responsibility that doesn't end when you ship a product... It keeps me awake.
It irks me so much whenever Apple talks about humanity. Is humanity only the section of the population that can afford their 1000$ phones and 2000$ laptops? I did rather Apple be honest and simply say that they exist to serve their shareholders....not humanity!

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I think needs to get in the car software business. Already there is GM talking about data collection, tracking you everywhere and serving you ads. Google will no doubt do the same. Someone like needs to be in there to offer alternatives.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
There is a second scenario; how about if he thinks "these suckers at Apple pay me top dollar for doing next to nothing that I'm capable of, I'm gonna ride this gravey train as long as I can"
I'm sure he already has far more than enough money to live the rest of his days in complete freedom and abundance.
More is only meaningful when you don't have enough.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
It irks me so much whenever Apple talks about humanity. Is humanity only the section of the population that can afford their 1000$ phones and 2000$ laptops? I did rather Apple be honest and simply say that they exist to serve their shareholders....not humanity!

er, Apple is a business and not a charity for humanity. They seem to be very transparent about trading as a business.
They can still make money and care for the users of their product, who are also humans. But yes they are not out to save humanity. His concern is more peoples attention on social media BS rather than life probably, which he has had a hand in creating.

Also as far as I have managed to work out, any comparable hardware to Apples is roughly the same price. They just make better hardware than most, hence a higher cost. It all seems very straightforward to me and I never understand why anybody should either question their price, or their loyalty as a business to their shareholders. These are a given.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Nothing comes for free in this world. Not even google products. Their products work great for those willing to pay the asking price, and I feel it’s a fair transaction.

Reactions: richinaus

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Nothing comes for free in this world. Not even google products. Their products work great for those willing to pay the asking price, and I feel it’s a fair transaction.

it is a fair transaction indeed and I never once have felt ripped off by Apple. They make high end products hence a 'high' price, simple enough to understand you would have thought.
[doublepost=1540008089][/doublepost]
I wish a brave interviewer would tell him a joke:

Q: "How many Apple engineers does it take to upgrade the Mac Mini?"
A: "None."

or

Q: "what is the reason Apple removed 'Computers' from their name quite a while ago now as so many people on Macrumors simply cannot comprehend that you no longer prioritise computers over consumer products"

A :"we don't care what people think on MacRumors".

Reactions: Abazigal

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Or people are greedy; don't over estimate your heroes.

Or he is in the best design role in the world and probably wouldn't give it up for free. Don't under estimate your designers and the love and passion they have for what they do.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Or he is in the best design role in the world and probably wouldn't give it up for free. Don't under estimate your designers and the love and passion they have for what they do.
Yeah right, he's doing it for "love and passion". Anyway it's a dumb argument as we don't know his motivations.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Yeah right, he's doing it for "love and passion". Anyway it's a dumb argument as we don't know his motivations.

no we don't know his motivations, but are you actually a designer? You will find most designers worth anything, will put their heart and soul into a project, and certainly do not get paid much for it. I imagine [pure speculation] that Jonny Ive is paid a hell of a lot, but would do it for a lot less. He loves his job.

Always easier to make negative comment than actually do.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
no we don't know his motivations, but are you actually a designer? You will find most designers worth anything, will put their heart and soul into a project, and certainly do not get paid much for it. I imagine [pure speculation] that Jonny Ive is paid a hell of a lot, but would do it for a lot less. He loves his job.

Always easier to make negative comment than actually do.
I don't get why you think I made a "negative comment". I mean I said we don't know his motivations. But then you fly off into the realms of fantasy by claiming "He loves his job" while at the same admitting it's " [pure speculation]"

Reactions: macjunk(ie)

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I’d hate it. They’d definitely expect “above and beyond” as a given. Long hours, taking work home, unclaimed (expected) overtime — nope, not for me.

I learned the hard way that you shouldn’t live to work. I’ve still got a good work ethic but I’m much happier and healthier without that looming self-inflicted pressure.

I couldn't agree more, I know one chap years ago who had huge drive. He did all the hours, taking on all the work he could. When it came to review time and he didn't get the promotion he thought he deserved he was devastated, repeatedly.

Eventually he did get it, then a while later had a nervous breakdown. From the outside I saw this and quickly realised that all I wanted was to be happy in my work which thankfully, I now am. I did the long hours at one company (providing regular overnight support in addition to my normal role) and it got me nowhere other than taken for granted.

It's why there are CEO's and then there is me, I value my (modest) life too much to want to wake up one day when I am 70's, in my mansion with luxury cotton sateen sheets surrounding me, wondering where all the time went.

JohnWalker

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
why are they wasting money and resources on the apple car? Where is their VR/AR headset? Where is more affordable home pod, mini home pod, and homepod with screen?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"On the prospects of an Apple Car, Ive remained tight lipped. In general, he said it's important to work on the associated issues and challenges with any new product, rather than talk about it and risk having the ideas and technologies copied:"

I don't think its gonna matter. Weather people know now or afterward, someone will still copy. It'll just make Ive feel better knowing its not happening during Apple car development.

(BTW... does anyone else reckon this image was Photoshop-ed?)

why are they wasting money and resources on the apple car? Where is their VR/AR headset? Where is more affordable home pod, mini home pod, and homepod with screen?

I could say the same for VR and AR there too.. It has it's uses, but all i see it going the same way as 3D Televisions.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Apple is not going to waste their resources on niche product categories which barely bring in any money for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.