Jony Ive Partners With Leica for One-of-a-Kind Charity Camera

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 8, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple hasn't produced a dedicated camera since it released the QuickTake in 1994, but a new collaboration between Apple's senior vice president of design Jony Ive and Leica gives a glimpse of what an Apple camera could look like today (via Pop Photo).

[​IMG]
    Ive has designed a one-of-a-kind Leica M Rangefinder to be auctioned off at Sotheby's to benefit Product (RED). The camera, which utilizes a sleek aluminum design, took more than 561 models, 1000 prototype parts, and 85 days to design.

[​IMG]
    Like all Leica M Rangefinders, the camera features a full-frame 24-megapixel sensor, a 3-inch LCD, and full HD 1080p video. The standard Leica camera retails for $7,000, and Ive's version could fetch quite a bit more.

[​IMG]
    The camera will be auctioned via Sotheby's on November 23, along with a number of other products including solid gold EarPods that were also designed by Ive. Proceeds will go to Product (RED), a longtime Apple partner. Apple has raised more than $65 million for the charity since 2006.

Article Link: Jony Ive Partners With Leica for One-of-a-Kind Charity Camera

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

3. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

Wow

Its a - camera. With a lens. And screen. And in a Apple MacPro kind of design which is already obsolete.

Though the fact that it's for charity is nice, so in that respect I applaud their effort.

4. anomie, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013

anomie Suspended

@above me: it's in the old Mac Pros color, not design, which you obviously have no idea of.
    It picks up Leica's design combined with Ive's taste.

5. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

7. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Nice timeless design.

(Though from some of the above comments it may seem like I'm in the minority.)

8. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I prefer how the classic Leica designs look.

[​IMG]

I always remember how Steve Jobs compared the design of the iPhone 4 to a "beautiful old Leica camera".

The iPhone 4 is even more beautiful.

[​IMG]

9. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

Yeah, that could work...;)

10. kingbadger macrumors newbie

Its a nice update on the classic Rangefinder design and shape. Don't know why people are kicking off about it...

11. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

No one is going to want to use this camera with that design...function over form

Good thing it's a charity project :D

12. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I don't think Apple would bother releasing a product that looks anything like this. Apple releases products that look like nothing that has come before them. This looks like an ordinary camera - I wouldn't know that anyone from Apple had anything to do with it unless MR had reported on it.

I'm not saying it doesn't look good - it just doesn't look groundbreaking enough to be a product Apple would bother making.

13. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I like it. still looks like a Leica, and there is a hint of Jony touches on the curves.

Apple should team up with Leica and not just for charity, like I don't know use a leica lens in iphones :D

14. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

Then your phone would be way more expensive... ;)

(But it would get awesome lens)

15. Dades macrumors member

Dades

Apple designers usually take something and add the wow factor.

I understand it's just a one-off, but I think they've done the opposite here. I guess the problem here is retro is in, big time, with cameras and there's so many gorgeous looking units on the market already.

16. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

17. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Looks kinda bad actually. The back is the worst.

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

My thought exactly. Definitely draws design influence from the original FireWire iSight. I kind of wish they'd mass produce this in "prosumer" specs.

19. FertileKnave macrumors newbie

Better not have any of that pesky purple lens flare...

20. gri, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013

gri macrumors 6502a

gri

@below me - I have an MacPro standing right next to me (as it says in the signature). So, no, I am not a designer and yes, I have an idea of its design. For me the "laser machined aluminum body " reflects the front face of the still current MacPro.

21. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Looks nice, it should raise a lot for charity

22. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Dont waste your time Mr Ive, iOS7 design is unfinished. How Could you approve those iOS7 icons ?

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In common with those who have posted above whose posts I have cited, I must say that I rather like it.

In any case, Leica favours evolutionary design, rather than anything too radical, and this looks to me like a nice fusion of retro seeming Leica design along with some Apple (aka Jony Ive) touches. And it is for charity, too.

24. lunarmac macrumors member

Maybe Ive should focus more on iOS 7 then working on these side projects. Just proves my point that Ive just blindly rubber stamped approval for iOS 7 designs and concentrated only on hardware. They just used his name to sell us iOS 7.

25. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I'm a huge Leica fan and I think this design is very good, it smooths out the already very clean and minimalist lines of the Leica M.

It will probably sell for at least a quarter million dollars in auction.