Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunty

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
The comma animations just strongly remind me of old Disney and Warner Brother animations. What I can't understand is how the dot over the i in "Filmmakers" is obscured by the letter f.

tyranne201

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2020
the website is indeed a very johny ivy iOS 7 one. totally bland with no content. there is no info about the founders, address, etc.

just a tip as well. Scrolling in a desktop web page is very unintuitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrchinchilla

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
To say they’re a ‘design firm’, that website is atrocious.

From the worn out blinking cursor and typing trope, the extremely tacky comma animation that looks like some flash animation a high school student knocked out on Adobe Dreamweaver in 10 seconds back in 2003, to the nearly unreadable narrow column of pretentious self fellating generic marketing fluff that doesn’t actually mean anything or describe what the company does in any meaningful way.

Plus, super edgy minimalist black on white and slightly altered Times New Roman Font, oooo!

0/10

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
Two years just to develop a font ? oh Jony. The man’s attention to detail is legendary, but this…this is too much. i suppose we should expect a full website in 10 years? And maybe a fleshed-out services page in 20? Apple’s regular product cycles sped up his output, but now on his own, at his own pace, it seems he’s wasting his time and talent on frivolous designs for …typefaces!?!

macwant

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
The comma animations just strongly remind me of old Disney and Warner Brother animations. What I can't understand is how the dot over the i in "Filmmakers" is obscured by the letter f.

The dot over the i is not mistakenly obscured, it's called a ligature. They're typically added for stylistic purposes.

Related fact, the & symbol originated as a ligature of the letters et (
ɛt
)
—latin for "and".

Reactions: HiRez

thalegold

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
Nice mission statement but the web site tells nothing about what they actually do. It's like saying "I like motorcycles". So do you test them, create them, manufacture them, sell them, ride them? What do you actually do?

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Nice mission statement but the web site tells nothing about what they actually do. It's like saying "I like motorcycles". So do you test them, create them, manufacture them, sell them, ride them? What do you actually do?
I am guessing people like you and I are not potential clients to them, and that any client like Apple would already know what this company does and has a direct contact to the leadership.

Reactions: Eightarmedpet

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
What a boring site, and so bad that it does not even worth mentioning copyright.
I hope they don't sell stuff to the EU, because a business site without imprint is prohibited here.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Wow... it took how many years for LoveFrom to create a website? And they spent TWO years designing a font for it?

That sounds about right when you make a company that is all design people with nobody driving actual product release.

Don't get me wrong.... I love good design, but as Steve Jobs once said (paraphrased): good design is how something works, not just how it looks.

But I honestly feel that Jony Ive lost sight of that in his last few years at Apple. Too many products sacrificed a lot of function for the sake of a small advantage in form. It seemed how it looked was far more important than how it worked. I'm glad that Apple is making iPhones a bit thicker now with bigger batteries rather than making them so thin that they feel like they are going to slip through my fingers or bend when I put them in my pocket.

If the entirety of your website is a showcase for a custom font after two years, then it sounds like you are just trapped in a design-and-redesign loop with no focus on making something usable -- especially since the website has nothing really usable -- not even a way to contact them to retain their services.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
This is great. It’s just like sites I used to make in the 90’s after I left my job at a huge industry-leading manufacturer with dreams of doing really big work. My teaser sites created a sense of serene clarity in contrast to all the noise and clutter of the market, and made a bold and dramatic announcement to create mystery & suspense about my next world-changing product that I had little more than a vague idea about. Surely the world would come back and refresh the site daily in mouth-watering anticipation of my next work of genius.

I felt rather foolish in the decades since, so there’s something comforting about seeing one of the most successful designers in the world end up doing it too at this stage in his career.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
The font took 6 months to hone to perfection. The copy took 2 hours to write. Coding took 2 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.