Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 5.4-inch iPhone 13 mini continues to be unpopular with customers, according to U.S. iPhone sales data for the March quarter that was shared by Consumer Research Intelligence Partners (CIRP).

iphone-13-and-iphone-13-mini.jpg

The iPhone 13 mini had the smallest share of sales of all the iPhone 13 models, and it made up just three percent of total iPhone sales during the quarter. Comparatively, the other iPhone 13 models were much more popular, and had the largest share of U.S. sales in several years.

cirp-iphone-purchases-march-2022.jpg

Combined, all four iPhone 13 models made up 71 percent of iPhone sales, with the standard 6.1-inch iPhone 13 responsible for 38 percent of sales. The iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max weren't quite as popular as the iPhone 13, but sold much better than the iPhone 13 mini.

In the year-ago quarter, the iPhone 12 models made up 61 percent of total iPhone sales, so the iPhone 13 models are performing better. The iPhone 13 has also seen the strongest sales of any iPhone model during the March quarter, beating out the iPhone 11 and the iPhone 12 when they were Apple's flagship iPhones.

According to CIRP, the iPhone 13 models aside from the mini are seeing strong sales because buyers are replacing their phones more often.

cirp-iphone-age-march-2022.jpg
After several years of buyers keeping a previous phone longer, in the past year buyers are now keeping a previous phone for a shorter time. In the March 2022 quarter, 20% of buyers reported having their previous phone for three years or longer, compared to 34% in the March 2021. In the March 2022 quarter 47% of buyers had their previous phone for two years or less, compared to 35% in the March 2021 quarter.
Apple's 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 13 mini have been comparatively unpopular since their launch, and the poor sales have made it clear that most consumers do not want smaller sized iPhones.

In 2022 with the iPhone 14 lineup, Apple is discontinuing the 5.4-inch iPhone size. There will be no iPhone 14 mini, with Apple instead releasing a 6.1-inch iPhone 14, a 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, a 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max, and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Article Link: Just 3% of U.S. iPhone Sales in March Quarter Were iPhone 13 Mini Models

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
Eyeballing the chart, looks like the 2020 SE, 2022 SE, 12 Mini, and 13 Mini combine for around 12%, so there def is a market for a smaller and budget device that is actually modern. But Apple hasn’t really made that yet, so maybe Apple should just consolidate those devices? A full screen device in the body of the SE with Touch ID in the power button selling for $400 would probably do quite well.

skiguy45

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
This is horrible news. The mini is literally the perfect size for me.
I have a 12 mini and LOVE the size. I really don't understand why people want phones that are so big they can't reach across when holding it. I have big hands and I struggle to reach the corner of even the mini at times. To me, this seems clearly a case of size envy. Who wants the small one when it's next to the big one? You don't find out until later that the big one is too big. And you probably don't give any though to "Wow maybe that small one would have been the right size" ... you just deal. That 75" TV looks awesome in the store, until you take it home and realize it barely fits on your wall. I'll be horrified if I'm forced to go bigger in the future.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I think part of the problem may be that there have been a lot of publications suggesting that 13 mini will be the end for the 'mini' line. Not everyone wants to get attached to a size that won't be around next year. My wife has 12 mini and she loves it. There will always be customers for the mini, perhaps  just need to plan for smaller runs. Sales can only be poor if you intended to sell a ton.

Paint.It.Black

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
I find the 12 and 13 mini some of the coolest iPhones ever made, love the high end functionality in a small package. I am also to blame since I wanted the Pro model, I wish it could be smaller though. It’s just too big for comfortable one handed use.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Watch and you'll see a select group of people dispute these facts with the usual excuses...

"The mini failed because of lockdowns!"

"The iPhone SE caused lower mini sales!"

"It was too expensive even as the cheapest 5G iPhone!"

"I'd pay $2,000 for a mini if it had more cameras!"

"There weren't enough ads. My grandma wasn't aware of the iPhone 13 mini."

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The 5.4-inch iPhone 13 mini continues to be unpopular with customers, according to U.S. iPhone sales data for the March quarter that was shared by Consumer Research Intelligence Partners (CIRP).

iphone-13-and-iphone-13-mini.jpg

The iPhone 13 mini had the smallest share of sales of all the iPhone 13 models, and it made up just three percent of total iPhone sales during the quarter. Comparatively, the other iPhone 13 models were much more popular, and had the largest share of U.S. sales in several years.

cirp-iphone-purchases-march-2022.jpg

Combined, all four iPhone 13 models made up 71 percent of iPhone sales, with the standard 6.1-inch iPhone 13 responsible for 38 percent of sales. The iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max weren't quite as popular as the iPhone 13, but sold much better than the iPhone 13 mini.

In the year-ago quarter, the iPhone 12 models made up 61 percent of total iPhone sales, so the iPhone 13 models are performing better. The iPhone 13 has also seen the strongest sales of any iPhone model during the March quarter, beating out the iPhone 11 and the iPhone 12 when they were Apple's flagship iPhones.

According to CIRP, the iPhone 13 models aside from the mini are seeing strong sales because buyers are replacing their phones more often.

cirp-iphone-age-march-2022.jpg
Apple's 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 13 mini have been comparatively unpopular since their launch, and the poor sales have made it clear that most consumers do not want smaller sized iPhones.

In 2022 with the iPhone 14 lineup, Apple is discontinuing the 5.4-inch iPhone size. There will be no iPhone 14 mini, with Apple instead releasing a 6.1-inch iPhone 14, a 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, a 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max, and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Article Link: Just 3% of U.S. iPhone Sales in March Quarter Were iPhone 13 Mini Models
This article is PURE FUD!

Where is the proper DATA to backup this article?!

None of the links within shows data! A percentage is relative but without hard data this is GARBAGE!

Yes I’m an 13 mini owner. Yes I’m a fan of the form factor and design. BUT I expect article writers to link to source data. I’m not seeing this. Y?!

There was no news of cutting production volume for 13 mini like the 12 mini before it was there?

This cycle was the ultimate all time high sales of ANY iPhone out there by model of the 13 series btw. Collating sales of cheaper models then staying lower percentage overall of ALL phones being sold currently is really skewed and shady without actual factual numbers!

It’s as if a Samsung fan that hates anything Apple wrote this article.

madebybela

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2020
Montebello, CA
I always felt the 12 mini was doomed because it had a 1 month release delay over the 12/12 pro. Pandemic was in full swing so curious customers couldn't see it in person at stores, so all they had to rely on was reviews who either called it too small or overplayed the battery life issue (it wasn't really that bad). On top of that the 12 was a hyped release because of the redesign, so I think most people were eager to just get their hands on it and opted for the standard 12/12 pro instead of waiting 1 month for a riskier option.

As for the 13 mini situation, at this point, everyone who bought a 12/12 pro model is going to upgrade accordingly and stick with what's familiar. Apple's goal is usually to try and work their users up the chain to the largest/biggest phone anyway, so the 13 mini is probably only really appealing to those who bought the 12 mini (me).

Anyway, people can continue their irrational hatred of this phone. the 12/13 mini is still in the hands of millions and the will stick around for a few more years as a cheaper option and will probably see popularity in the second hand market. The 13 mini along with the SE will also likely see software updates beyond the decade.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I could see a contributing factor being limits of battery life in a device that small while running mmWave 5G

To be fair though, the MagSafe battery that now runs at 7.5w looks cute on a 12/13 mini
Can the 5g be off to save battery?

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Huge fan of my 13 mini. I always knew the market for this size was small, but enough "whiners" brought it to life if only for a couple generations, so that I could have this phone now.

If a similar size doesn't make a return in the future, I'll be content paying for a battery replacement in a couple years and using the phone for four to five years.

I am hopeful that it makes a return, especially as an SE model.

GrumpyOldGuy52

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2021
That's disappointing, but not surprising. I love my 12 mini and will likely move to a 13 mini this fall when the 12 is paid off (as I doubt there will be a 14 mini). I think the issue is, as others have pointed out, the mini and SE are eating into each other's market (with the SE taking the lion's share of sales). If Apple were to make the mini into the SE and drop the Touch ID SE, then I'm willing to bet the mini's sales would take off.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I always felt the 12 mini was doomed because it had a 1 month release delay over the 12/12 pro. Pandemic was in full swing so curious customers couldn't see it in person at stores, so all they had to rely on was reviews who either called it too small or overplayed the battery life issue (it wasn't really that bad). On top of that the 12 was a hyped release because of the redesign, so I think most people were eager to just get their hands on it and opted for the standard 12/12 pro instead of waiting 1 month for a riskier option.

iPhone 12 Pro Max was a brand new form factor and didn't ship until November 2020. Yet, it was the most popular model of the series at launch. Let's not make excuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.