Just bought the 24" L.C.D. - My first impression and how about yours?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shoopaman, Nov 28, 2008.

1. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

I have suspected all along that Apple-the Meticulous Marketer would release the 24" L.C.D. (led cinema display) right on Thanksgiving week Black Friday. It was an agonizing month and a half for the wait. They had it at their domestic cross-dock all along, i bet. Just waited until one of the biggest shopping day to unlash the new Macbook Ho. They did it to lure more people in this day... just a conspiracy... but knowing :apple:'s way, it wouldn't surprise me one bit!

Anyhow, I love it!!! I am complete, 24"L.C.D., YOU COMPLETE ME!!!:D

Sadly, I have a dead pixel and a dent, will exchange asap. I hate going back to exchange but I must have a perfect one. Called :apple: store and the mgr. was very helpful... better damn, should be, spent $3K in this combo purchase alone!

Otherwise, it is a match made in heaven. I rub-bit :D

please post your impression as well~
    thx,
    Macalicious

Attached Files:

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Its an Led btw and I went into the apple store today and really liked the monitor I will probably pick up one up in July. How did ratatouille look anyway?

ChrisN

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It's not an LED, it's an LCD - that has a LED backlight.

VERY different from an LED / OLED display. very different.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I think I might get one for my office!

Is the viewable screen the exact same dimension (height x width) as the 24" iMac?

Cheers.

6. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

No, it's my virgin mac - :apple: MACINTOSH COLOR CLASSIC 1992/or3 can't remember that far back:D

When I refer to LCD, I'm saying L-ed C-inema D-isplay - just don't want to write it out all the time. I know, oh~ I know, this is LED backlit - I would've never bought it if it wasn't :) p.s. Rats were singing Amazing Grace:D

I think so, it's wider in the :apple: site spec VS. 24" iMac, because of black bezel on the new L.C.D.

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

It looks wider than the iMac. I guess that this is because the display doesn't have the big metal area below the screen like the iMac does.

Very impressive.

8. avalys macrumors 6502

How does the screen compare to that of the new 15" MacBook Pro?

I really, really like the screen on mine, and will definitely buy one of these new displays if it is equally good.

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Only one complaint, and correct me if I'm wrong, but...

In iChat and Photo Booth, you don't seem to be able to choose which iSight camera you use, while running with your MBP open (extended desktop). You get the one on the notebook. I'd rather have the one on the cinema display work. It sits in front of my, while the notebook is off to the side.

You can choose which to record yourself on in iMovie, but not Photo Booth or iChat.

If someone knows if a way to switch 'em, post it!

10. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

black bezel on the 24"L.C.D. is about 1/2" wider than my 20" iMac.
    MBP screen is awesome, so, if you're sold on "equally", i think you'll be short $899.00+tax very soon:D 24"L.C.D. is awee-Some!!! check out the iphone shots... don't know if you can tell but in life it is...!!!

Attached Files:

11. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Page 7 and 9 from L.C.D. manual will give you those answers.

12. Weepul macrumors regular

One thing I'm dying to know - maybe you can answer this - is whether the glass on front is held on by magnets and removable like the glass over the iMac screen. So uh, is it? :D

13. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Didn't know that:confused: but if I had to guess, why not? it's practically the same without the AL. bust.

14. jamestemroot macrumors member

have you got any idea which panels are used yet?

would love to hear back, as i might be purchasing one in the next week.

thx

15. Nik macrumors 6502a

How bright is the Display in the lowest setting compared to the current iMac?
    The current iMac is too bright for me in the lowest setting, actually.

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

You need Shades. http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

17. Nik macrumors 6502a

"[Shades] should not be used if colour accuracy is critical."
    Thanks for the link but the sentence above is a dealbreaker. :(

18. MGLXP macrumors regular

Why are you trying to portray the quality of the monitor using a sub-par iPhone camera?

19. MGLXP macrumors regular

No one has any idea yet until someone is able to decipher the EDID (version 1.4) data from the monitor or physically open the monitor to find out.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I believe it is an IPS panel, but as ^ post mentioned, I'm not sure. I might get one of these, but $899 for a display is ... somewhat expensive. I know it's LED backlit, and the cool docking mechanism. When our economy goes ^, I might just splurge.

21. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Can you tell me how long each of the three connectors are? I'm trying to figure out if the display will work with the Macbook Air. On the Macbook Air the MagSafe is on the opposite side from the MiniDisplay Port. I went to the Apple store to look but they have it setup in such a way that you can't see the cable. It's wrapped up and zip tied. I asked the "genius" if it would be able to work with the Air he said "I don't know.":rolleyes:

22. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Just felt like it.:rolleyes:
    it is very dim, i'd say it's about 20% dimmer than my 20"iMac. don't know how it compares to 24"
    we have pretty good idea, it's at the very least on par with 24"iMac. and we know what 24"iMac has under its skin.
    Happy to report :) i'd say it's enough for macbook air. it was the first thing i did when i opened the box because i remembered someone addressing this issue in another thread, i measured on my MBP, it has enough room, if it had ports on both sides. :apple: would be the stupidest dumbshets if advertised and didn't fit...

23. Weepul macrumors regular

Would you be willing to try and find out? :eek: If it is, I think I'd actually want one of these as soon as there's a Mac Pro that's compatible. :p If not, well, no interest then.

24. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Should consult apple, I will not dissect my new baby:eek:

25. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

The cables are short. About 3 feet.

The MacBook Air External Superdrive works through the USB hub on the monitor, which is very nice.