Just drove my first Tesla S

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Wiggle, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Wiggle macrumors member

Best...period...driving...period...experience...period...ever...period. A-ma-zing. That is all.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cool, glad you enjoyed it.

I really don't get worked up about cars, but I know a lot of folks do. I heard a lot of good (and not so good) stuff about the Tesla. Glad you got to try to one :)

3. Wiggle thread starter macrumors member

I've driven a lot of cars from Toyota Corollas to Corvettes to Maseratis to Aventadors. This thing blew me away.

4. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

How does it handle? steering/road feel/agility/power/braking/cornering/

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I want to drive one to see how the torque feels.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My 2014 Chevy Cruze TD has plenty of torque. Not as much as a Tesla for sure, but still plenty for a little 4-banger.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Simulated motor growls, or just the whir of electric motors winding up ;)

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Forget the Tesla, I want to hear how the Aventador drive went! :)

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I drove a Tesla at the dealership around here over the summer. If they had an AWD model at the time... I would have probably bought it on the spot.

It was that good. I drove a P85 (the one under the + model) and it was a monster. Made my Audi S7 (something I consider pretty damn fast) feel like a 4 banger car. I think the coolest part is how silent the whole thing is. I remember merging onto I90. The sales guy told me to punch it on the off-ramp. I hit 120 so fast. :cool:

I ended up investing some money, so I can't buy the new AWD P85D now. Maybe in a few years. :(

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Hybrid cars have really, really come a long way in the past few years.

You look at cars like the 918, P1, and i8 (the best models I think), and it's amazing what they can do. I'm not sold on Tesla styling, but they are nice cars.

I really wish Ferrari would have the sack enough to let The Ferrari The Ferrari out to play with the critics. I'm dying to see it come this close to beating the McLaren. McLaren and Porsche both got people out on the track to show it off and Ferrari has tightened things down for some reason.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haven't driven a Tesla but I've driven a Prius before - and it was pretty weird not being able to "feel" the engine while driving. Not saying I would turn down a Tesla ;) but it's probably something I would have to get used to (if it also has that sort of feeling) :)

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Test:
    1. http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/laferrari-vs-mclaren-p1-vs-porsche-918-ultimate-showdown-2014-11-12

Verdict:
    2. http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/la...rsche-918-spyder-the-final-verdict-2014-11-14

You're welcome :cool:

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

The tesla is not a hybrid

----------

Prius is not even in the same Galaxy as a tesla

----------

I cannot WAIT to get one. I'm projecting about 5 years

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The Ferrari LaFerrari is the hybrid to end all hybrids.

Teslas are fine. I'm concerned about the compromises they will have to make to make one in the $35,000 range.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Have driven both, can confirm. You don't feel the engine in the Prius when driving because it hardly makes any power. Driving a Prius doesn't feel all that different than driving any other piece of **** econobox that barely cracks the triple digits in the horsepower rating.

When you step on the gas, err, electric pedal of the Tesla and your back is pinned against the seat by all the torque, you feel the motor.

I got an opportunity to drive a Tesla because the showroom (aka dealership) here had an open house for the company I work for since we're a supplier of some of the technology - when I saw the open house included test drives, I RSVPed for it immediately.

The vibe I got from the salesman on my test drive was that anyone can come in for a demo and a test drive, even without the financial means or intention to buy the car. It's not about making a sale now, it's about making a sale in the future when Teslas are cheaper and you have more money. They also hope you'll tell your friends about the Tesla you drove. And it works. I can't afford one now, but if they ever come out with the cheaper one or I get a big enough raise, I'm sold. Now, imagine walking into a BMW dealership and asking to test drive an $80,000 car you have no means to purchase. You'll be laughed out of the showroom.

So if you really want to test drive a Tesla, give your local showroom a call and set up an appointment.

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As a lifelong car enthusiast, with some fast cars owned and having driven many others, my first experience in a Model S was completely life changing. There is nothing else that's interesting anymore. My enthusiasm convinced my father, a mild enthusiast, but someone who has never spent more than about $25k on a vehicle before to test drive one and ultimately buy a well equipped one. I evangelized to the president of the company I work for for months before its delivery and he never showed more than a polite interest. When it arrived, I had to twist his arm to test drive it. His words as I floored it out of the driveway? Holy ****.

It took him less than a week to arrange to sell his 500hp M5 and have a Model S with every option on order.

Seriously, anyone who has even a passing interest in cars needs to drive one of these. They drive like nothing else, with acceleration like you've never felt before. I doubt there is a better car for passing with on two lane back highways. Think it and it's done. Truly phenomenal. I cannot wait to drive a P85D.

18. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I'm waiting for the 50k price mark, 500 mile battery range, and a supercharger within 50 miles of me. I'm predicting ~5 years

19. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, it's amazing, but much too expensive. But if oil prices remain as low as they are, I wonder if it could be the end for more mainstream hybrid and electric car sales in the US.

20. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

You have to be kidding right?

21. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The SuperCharger network is precisely the reason why I'm waiting a few years... but I will own a Tesla at one point.

They need to populate the Northeast Corridor with more of them, especially if Tesla expects to become a major player around here. I see them all over the place in Boston and NYC, but between them... none. There are a few SuperChargers up in CT, but not in very good locations. AWD was a good step forward. Now it's their network.

----------

Just because gas prices are low, doesn't mean that people will stop buying hybrids and EVs. You can still save a ton by buying a Prius, etc. Not to mention, at these prices, you can fill the tank of a Prius for like $30 and go 500 miles. That is fantastic.

22. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I disagree. Cheap gasoline means you can't overcome the extra cost for hybrid or electric cars. In November, full size SUVs have had their best sales since 2001.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ord-gm-chrysler-toyota-honda-nissan/19760173/

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

...all electric, whatevs. I lump them all in the same category. They're not "real" cars within reach of the general populace. :)

24. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Alright lol. In a few years I'm going to come back to this post and you'll eat some crow ;p

25. malman89 macrumors 68000

I wonder how high the discount creep is getting for those SUVs and trucks, though. I've been seeing SUV/truck lease rates at almost the same price as a Focus.