Just got a Blackberry! :P

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amerabian, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Amerabian macrumors regular

Yezzir! :rolleyes:

I just got a Blackberry phone! :cool:

Of course, no sane (or even insane) iPhone user and Apple fan would ever do that, right??

My brother just got an iPhone 4 and I threw me his BB 8900

I never had a blackberry myself, I went straight from a $20 Nokia to an iPhone 3GS due to financial difficulties that hindered me living my normal life.

So, I wanted to know "what's so special about Blackberries?! There must be some positive sides to them anyway!"

Turned out as I expected, the phones are only better than a $20 starter package phones you get in gas stations :D
    -Apps: Do not even compare! (I never knew N.O.V.A comes in 32 bit!!! :eek:
    -Browser: VERY SLOW! UNUSABLE!
    -KEYPAD: I like the retro "buttons".. oh, did I just say RETRO? ;)
    -Signal: Excellent!
    -Design/Feel: Excellent!

The main reason people get "and don't switch to iPhones" is because of the BBM -Blackberry Messenger-.. It's probably the only reason Blackberries sell, people want to stay in that "I have my own BBpin number".. Sure it sells, it makes people feel that each phone is "personal" as if it was custom made to them by some greater entity.

I've already spent the Blackberry service subscription fees and honestly the BBM is kind of a community/subculture by itself..

Once my subsciption is over I'll sell the phone and save the money for something more useful.. (i.e iPhone 5) :rolleyes:

I hope you don't find this a useless post, just wanted to report my experience.

2. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Battery life. Security. Did I mention battery life... A damn sight cheaper for a Corp to replace than an iPhone.

4. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

you better add "blackberry" to your signature....

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Just because it doesn't work for you, does not mean it won't work for everybody else.

I sure wish my Blackberry wasn't dead right now, I'd switch to that instead of my 3GS in a heartbeat (While trying to sell my 3GS).

Unfortunately, the only phones available to me are: Moto Q, iPhone 3GS, Razr.

That, is an obvious choice.

6. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

Crackberry has been unleashed once again! :eek:

When a blackberry phone based on QNX comes out, it will be a real competition, until then...

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Even though I personally like the Blackberry for it's email ... they do not have much re-sale value

I hope you enjoy it though :D

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Apps are not the end all/be all of a smartphone experience.

For example, I have an iPhone 4 and like it a lot. I have 38 non-stock apps on my phone and really only use about 6 of them (Facebook, Twitter, Remote, TWC, Find My iPhone, and Dropbox). I have a dozen or so games on here that I really never play, but they sit there anyway.

As far as the browser goes....yes, it is very slow on the 8900. But you have to remember that you are using a Curve, Blackberry's entry level model.....and one that is over two years old at that. Testing the Blackberry's browser of one of the current generation models would be better to get an idea of what you can get out of the device.

Personally...I like Blackberry devices. They are solidly built and are great for PIM management and communications. The new Bold Touch is pretty interesting, but it is (ironically) the e-mail issues that keep me with my iPhone. It is too weird to me that in this day in age that RIM cannot get their phones to handle IMAP e-mail. Add that together with the fact that any message over 2MB gets truncated and it becomes a deal breaker for me.

But just because it doesn't fit my needs (and apparently yours) doesn't make it a bad device. Just not something that you probably should have started using in the first place.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i had a 8900, not bad phone but slow as hell for browsing as you said, that was enough for me to jump ship

10. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

You will miss the Iphone ;)

But honestly im really getting board of IOS5, but i could never leave the iphone though.

But another thing that drives me nuts is cases and skins, i never ever went this crazy trying to find a case or a skin i like for a phone, i always used the phones naked until the iphone came out LOL.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I can't even front I actually like that the new BB Bold 9900, but that $350 price tag, well at least that's what T-Mobile has it priced at, is a turn off.

12. luked14 macrumors 6502

I went to a Blackberry Bold after my 3G crapped out on me just to try it out and needless to say, I traded it in for a 3GS the next day.

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I had a BB 8900 before getting the iPhone 4 but I don't miss it at all

14. Savor, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011

Savor Suspended

Savor

+1

I like my BB Bold 9000 so far as a spare phone. I think the 9900 looks impressive with its attention to detail from the front and back and much better web browsing experience. That could be my next phone once I sell the 9000 and my contract is up in six months. it could go down as my 2nd fav phone behind the iPhone 4. I think the Bold 9000 and 9900 represents a masculinity. A brute for the powerful CEO out there.

I think apps can be overkill just like 12MP or quad core processors. I have 82 apps from the App Store and more than half of them that I rarely use. And if I want to know the info, I can always go the site. I think people either need to get used to it or need to have realistic expectations with BB. And if they can't, then switch back. Alot of BB users think iPhone is merely a "toy" you get bored of once the novelty of apps wears off. The image brand for BlackBerry is they are for Hollywood celebrities who aren't tech heads or some of the most powerful men in the corporate world. The bosses' phone.

I love that RIM is known for great reception and messaging. And they are also known for long battery life and SECURITY. Back to the basics on what made them great in the first place. Cut back the excess and clutter known as apps.

If you want to go back to being more productive and serious in life, I can see why people stick with BlackBerry. If you want to take life less seriously, I can see why people stick with iPhone with the many counter-productive apps like Angry Birds and Instagram. Most celebs or politicians don't have time to waste time on apps, listening to music, playing games, or streaming YouTube videos all day. BlackBerry has been around since the two-way pager days and had a phone by 2003. Their "niche" following won't disappear overnight just like the Mac line didn't disappear either.

BlackBerry represents the premium BUSINESS phone for professionals. The CEO phone. A communication device.

iPhone can sometimes represents an iToy for college kids who love to post drunken pics of themselves on Facebook and get "bored" of some UI. That is a toy. Something you get bored with after the initial gimmicks wear off once you are done "playing" with it. Do people complain about how boring their desktop OS is? Steve Jobs has made iOS fans into "spoiled children." Go to an Apple Store. A bunch of kids and grown men playing video games.

Jon Rettinger (known Apple fanboy) already moved away from iOS and has been using BlackBerry for over 3 months now as a main phone. Considering all he wants from a phone mostly is to check his messages, it works for him. He will always have his iPad 2 around for iOS.

BlackBerry 9900 Review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lYZ_XN5ooAU

15. Dumbledorelives, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011

Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

This is...pretty much ********. I know plenty of CEOs who use iPhones. I know plenty of CEOs who use Android. Blackberry doesn't have the stranglehold on business like it used too. Sure, they're still pretty dominant, but more and more are defecting to iPhone. *shrugs* Blackberry's time is almost over. Maybe QNX can save it.

And if we have to go down this road, Vice President Joe Biden has a white iPhone 4. I'd argue he's pretty damn important.

The iPhone is not all about games, it has plenty of business features, business apps. Just because it actually has a successful app market, unlike certain RIM products, does not make it an "iToy". It just means it caters to a wide variety of users, including business.

16. MrWaffles macrumors member

I have a blackberry and the only reason I have it is because it was the best thing at the time (almost 2 yrs ago) on verizon. I have been sitting on an upgrade for a bit waiting on the iphone5. the only thing i find it useful for is email.

17. Amerabian thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously.... SOME DO! :D
    ====

I didn't mean to start flame-wars or anything, maybe got a little over excited getting into the Blackberry world :rolleyes:

This is what I'm going to do.. I like how to phone feels in my hand. It feels and works more as a cell-phone than a mini-compu-phone.

I've read that twice.. It makes sense.. and YES, I've had the Blackberry for 48 hours now and I personally feel like "I'm away from the internet!".. Even though I'm checking twitter every few hours ;)

It feels relaxing not being "on the net literally 24/7"!!

18. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Great. Did you even bother to look at Blackberry's Share price? They lost over 60% in value.

There is still a market for Blackberry and users. Just very very low. Low enough that company will die out just like Palm.

20. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Consumers don't need to worry/care about share price, just the quality of product. If RIM made a good product with features up to par it would do all right.

21. twitt3r macrumors 6502

I have a Blackberry as well as an iPhone, largely because they are both paid for with unlimited voice, data and texts. Blackberry is by FAR the best device of the two in terms of tactile feel, battery life, and use as a phone and messaging device.

22. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I have never got on well with a BlackBerry myself. They have of course been popular in enterprise for many many years now however a lot of my friends use them as well. IMO the reason for their popularity amongst consumers is largely because of the BBM client and because of the keyboard. While not everybody likes a hardware keyboard there are many that dont want to give it up. They are cheap to buy and replace too.

23. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I, too, have both an iPhone and a BlackBerry. While the iPhone is better for apps and browsing, the BlackBerry is better for messaging, has a better battery life, and, if I just want to quickly look something up, doesn't do browsing too badly either.

BlackBerries are also a lot more secure. I'd trust my BlackBerry with things I wouldn't necessarily on my iPhone.

Each has their ups and downs.

24. MaryDun macrumors newbie

I also have a Blackberry for work. But I still prefer my iPhone 4, though :)