Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
How do you mean? If I send an e-mail to someone and the delivery is unsuccessful, the e-mail provider will send a message with an error.
You really believe that? You seriously think that an e-mail "workflow" is unbreakable? Works 100% at all times? Wow...

Amerabian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011

Thank you queen! :)

How do you mean? If I send an e-mail to someone and the delivery is unsuccessful, the e-mail provider will send a message with an error.

There's a little bit of misunderstanding here..
Umm..
If the email server is disconnected (for example), the email won't be received and you won't get an error email.

But I like the philosophy of the conversation with twitt3r! :D

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
When did I ever say that e-mail works 100% at all times? You're talking out of your ass now :rolleyes:
Evidently it is you who is talking out of their ass, spewing forth the stupid misconception that if an e-mail is not received, you will get sent (and receive) an error notification.

Amerabian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Actually yes,

BBM's Delivered/Read feature CAN be very dangerous..

It's already -at least in my book- a form of PRIVACY INVASION!

I don't know what RIM's intention for BBM was when they thought about it though! All I see is guys and girls flirting and cheating and spreadin' the gossip! :D

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If the email server is disconnected (for example), the email won't be received and you won't get an error email.

True, but then, what e-mail provider leaves their e-mail server disconnected? Even when there is downtime, they log server jobs and rerun them so the right stuff is sent out. Or they have separate servers for service messages. Good providers do, anyway.

Evidently it is you who is talking out of their ass, spewing forth the stupid misconception that if an e-mail is not received, you will get sent (and receive) an error notification.

99% of the time you will. I never said it was a perfect system though, did I?

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201

It's a standard feature on most e-mail clients ie; Lotus Notes, Outlook, etc. You also have the option to adjust your own settings on other e-mail clients if you so choose to receive such notification. Or you could just live under a rock and have no clue on how to go about doing such changes.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It's a standard feature on most e-mail clients ie; Lotus Notes, Outlook, etc. You also have the option to adjust your own settings on other e-mail clients if you so choose to receive such notification. Or you could just live under a rock and have no clue on how to go about doing such changes.

Exactly. And every web client I've ever used has had this, too. It's less a feature, more a standard basic option in the design of e-mail.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Exactly. And every web client I've ever used has had this, too. It's less a feature, more a standard basic option in the design of e-mail.

dude is just a troll.

I too have a Blackberry, but only for business purposes (Paid for by my company). We also use the BBM feature as it keeps our team in sync on the go. It's about the only thing RIM has left going for it.

Of course I keep my iPhone for personal use.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Most people with Blackberrys got given them, most people with iphones bought them.

The recent small London riot crowd helped co-ordinate it with the BB messenger thing, the police dont like it as the messages are encoded go to Canada RIM then get transmitted back to the UK and The Wire here can't read them....Stringer and Omar should have used them.....in fact drug runners probably love BB's....isnt there a similar app for iphone users?

Anyway the bank I work at give out give BB's but the build qulity is dreadful, the pretend silver paint rubs off and ickle tiny buttons are horrible and fragile and all wobbly.

Ewwww.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I can tell none of you guys are Canadian. Down here everyone, and I mean everyone that I meet has a BlackBerry. I just went through a section of my Facebook list of my my good friends. 4 had iPhones, 23 had Blackberries from what I remember. Maybe it's because RIM is Canadian, but they are definitely kicking ass down here.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Most people with Blackberrys got given them, most people with iphones bought them.

Nonsense, many teenagers buy BlackBerries, as do many older smartphone users who are more about messaging than apps.

The recent small London riot crowd helped co-ordinate it with the BB messenger thing, the police dont like it as the messages are encoded go to Canada RIM then get transmitted back to the UK and The Wire here can't read them....Stringer and Omar should have used them.....in fact drug runners probably love BB's....isnt there a similar app for iphone users?

Also nonsense. The riots were coordinated across many platforms, including Twitter and Facebook.

BBM messages sent in the UK go through UK servers because each network operates their own BIS service. Police were able to get the master key from RIM and warrants from the government to look at BBM messages sent and received by suspected rioters.

WhatsApp is a popular multi-platform BBM alternative which would be very hard to get information from in the UK as the company is only based in the US, with no operations or corporate presence internationally.

Anyway the bank I work at give out give BB's but the build qulity is dreadful, the pretend silver paint rubs off and ickle tiny buttons are horrible and fragile and all wobbly.

My 'Berries have always been solid.

Nyalotha

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
I can tell none of you guys are Canadian. Down here everyone, and I mean everyone that I meet has a BlackBerry. I just went through a section of my Facebook list of my my good friends. 4 had iPhones, 23 had Blackberries from what I remember. Maybe it's because RIM is Canadian, but they are definitely kicking ass down here.

Ottawa here.

Off the top of my head....5 iphones, 4 Androids, 2 blackberrys, 1 palm, 2 dumb phones.

Those would be my closest friends. Anyone I know with blackberry was given it for work.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA

Comparing FB clients, RIM has done an excellent job. Especially when you consider the fact that the BB app was developed by RIM and takes advantage of the push tech of the NOC, and the multitasking ability of the RIM/BlackBerry OS.

Chats are handled separately from the main client but still are part of the same app.

Most of my family is on BlackBerry or Android and I needed a phone that lasted me through the day and my newly purchased Sensation 4G was the absolute worst screaming for a charger at lunch.

Neat phone for sure with the dual core Snapdragon at 1.2Ghz, it played games well and movies were beautiful on the 16:9 qHD screen. Still, for such a wonderful powerhouse of a phone, it didn't have the battery to keep pace.

So I'm back to using my BlackBerry Bold 9700. Seamless UMA calling (wifi), and a battery that lasts through the day even with heavy use.

When it comes to all things :apple: , if the iPhone came to T-mobile with HSPA+ or "4G", I'd buy one. Heck, I paid cash for the Sensation which after sales tax, rang up to just under $600 USD...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
So I'm back to using my BlackBerry Bold 9700. Seamless UMA calling (wifi), and a battery that lasts through the day even with heavy use.

I'm probably getting a 9700 soon. It's basically the same as the 9780 once you update it to OS6 and they're dirt cheap on eBay now the new generation of BlackBerries is out. Will make a nice change from my outdated Curve (which actually performs very well, I just like shiny things) :D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If you want to go back to being more productive and serious in life, I can see why people stick with BlackBerry.]
I'm just as productive and "serious in life" whether I'm using my BB, Droid or iPhone. If you're severely hampered it's probably not your device.

Still, for such a wonderful powerhouse of a phone, it didn't have the battery to keep pace.
Of course it didn't. You don't get something for nothing. You might as well expect 70MPG from leadfooting a sports car.

I love how every thread on every forum usually turns into an off topic pissing contest.
Same old "us" versus "them" mentality that has been around since the dawn of humanity.

Last edited:

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I'm probably getting a 9700 soon. It's basically the same as the 9780 once you update it to OS6 and they're dirt cheap on eBay now the new generation of BlackBerries is out. Will make a nice change from my outdated Curve (which actually performs very well, I just like shiny things) :D

The 9700 is a great phone but with OS6 installed it's a dog.. I know some people that have upgraded to the OS6 but when I did it on my 9700 it had a lot of problems.. Takes up too much ram and it slows the phone down quite a bit.. With the older 9700 it's over two years old already.. I would wait and get the 9900 instead..

James

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The 9700 is a great phone but with OS6 installed it's a dog.. I know some people that have upgraded to the OS6 but when I did it on my 9700 it had a lot of problems.. Takes up too much ram and it slows the phone down quite a bit.. With the older 9700 it's over two years old already.. I would wait and get the 9900 instead..

James

Really? My friend's got a 9700 with OS6 and it runs perfectly smoothly. Maybe it depends if you throw a lot of apps on it? And did you use an early build of OS6?

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Really? My friend's got a 9700 with OS6 and it runs perfectly smoothly. Maybe it depends if you throw a lot of apps on it? And did you use an early build of OS6?

That I'm not really sure of.. I maybe downloaded the update about 3 weeks after it came out on ATT.. I have maybe no more than 10 apps on my BB. I could have gotten a bad download or something, don't really know.. I did like OS6 on the new torch though..

OS7 looks pretty promising..

James

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Why come on an Apple site to trumpet buying a Blackberry? Wouldn't you find more people who care on a Blackberry site?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.