just got a "used" macbook pro on ebay. need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antok86, Jul 26, 2010.

1. antok86 macrumors member

so i got this macbook pro on ebay stating it has "minor cosmetic" issues. so i think its just a scratch or scratches....when i opened it the casing is all dented/warped and the top where the LCD is is dented in on one of the corners. i dont think applecare covers such things since looks like it has been dropped. but i bought it knowing it has super drive issues. now if i send it in for the super drive will they just fix the super drive or also change the casing? it does still have the initial one year and can upgrade apple care until sept. i was also thinking about looking for a new shell/casing on ebay but i noticed the bottom has the SN# engraved on the bottom. so im not sure if i can change that without affecting the warranty.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can always ask if they can fix the casing as well though it's unlikely because such damage has been caused by the user, it's not manufacturing fault. How much did you pay for it? You could try to return it if it was more broken than the seller advertised it

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would say to take it to the Apple Store and tell the genius your story and see if they'll be kind enough to do it for you. At most they'll make you pay for a new casing.

4. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

well its not really broken. just cosmetic is more than i had thought...its working fine..i did get it for $650 macbook pro 2.26ghz. would getting a new casing affect applecare?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you install it yourself, it may. I would ask Apple to do it, it can't be that expensive

6. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

ill call and find out..its prolly gonna be alot coming from apple

here are the pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

damn just called apple and they are looking for the original user who owned ..name address and zipcode etc..

7. itripped macrumors member

I dropped my mbp once and now my ethernet port looks sort of like yours, although not NEARLY as bad. I don't have the scratches at all and my machine was in a padded sleeve at the time. Basically the impact will warp the lower clamshell when dropped on that corner - I guess the material is thinner around the ethernet port.

Luckily I can still get a cable in the port without any issues so I haven't worried about it too much. But my experience with applecare is that when you send it in to fix something, they tend to replace whatever is wrong/broken. My wife has had the lower part of her macbook (white plastic non-unibody) replaced twice because it started to crack just from everyday use, as an example.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you should take it to the Apple Store.
    It looks expensive though, it needs new top case, bottom case .... actually it will need a lot of work.
    See what Apple can do though.

9. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

Yea just talked to a genius he said it would be around 800 for both top and bottom

10. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

i don't consider $800 minor cosmetic damage. Unless they had pics posted on their auction of the damage, i would return it via buyer protection.

11. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

i didnt buy it for $800. Around $800 is what apple wants to repair it. There was pictures of it but not of the damage. is there any places i can buy used parts to salvage this for cheap?

where? ebay? are all mbp 13 inchers the same same size and basically universal?

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you should return it and buy a refurbished Macbook for $759 from Apple.

13. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

anyone want to buy it for what i paid shipped for it? $700

a refurbed mbp of same specs is $929.00

i requested a quote from a few local shops its its too much ill just throw it back on ebay

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ebay has buyer protection or something like that. Work with that first.
    Am I going to buy it for $700? Hell no.

Maybe for $20 and I'll buy it. ;)

What you can do with that is buy an external display plus keyboard + mouse and use it at a desktop. What else you can do is see if it fits in a hard case, and use it like that. Or buy a broken Macbook pro for parts and try replacing everything yourself (if you're good with computers)

15. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

yea i dont need a desktop...im going to contact the seller and see what he says with the mis-description

16. gabeomatic macrumors member

Either try to return it or just deal with the cosmetic damages and get the superdrive fixed.. i doubt you'd be able to sell that for what you want.. return it or accept the loss

17. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

yea..i might have to take a loss and sell it a bit cheaper. as far as teh super drive i have an extra super drive that would include if i sell it back the model is GS21N which is from a macbook and not sure if it would work. but apple wont fix the superdrive since the damange is on teh same side which leads them to believe why it isnt working. i have contacted the seller on ebay

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

and that's why I have a hard case

it hurts to see pics like those

19. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

A hard case won't help that. Also he said it was warped too.

20. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I'm saying that it would prevent those scratches and many of those dents that probably happened due to dropping it

I'm sure that one didn't have any protection, not even wrapsol

21. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

This is the danger of buying from a stranger off of a website. You should return it and get your money back. Next time don't buy unless you see pictures first. Minor cosmetic damage... you have to be kidding me.

22. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

23. antok86 thread starter macrumors member

yea..there a picture but showed nothing of the "minor" damage. i have contacted the seller and awaiting his response.