Just got home from Apple Store, with a new MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chasescott66, Nov 16, 2016.

1. chasescott66 macrumors regular

chasescott66

So, I just went to my local Apple Store to just check on inventory, not expecting anything since I want a 15" with 2.9 GHz, 1 TB, and 460 video card. Unfortunately they didn't have one in space gray that I wanted, but they did have a silver one. So, I bought that bad boy and just got home to set it up! Got to use my education discount and saved $270 as well!

2. fate0311 macrumors 6502

Just did the same, silver only also.

Same specs as yours.

First thing I noticed beside my Mid-15 MPB was the smaller footprint.

3. jacob_w macrumors member

Where are you guys located? I haven't even seen any demos here in Montréal, Canada.

4. fate0311 macrumors 6502

Greater Boston area.

5. chasescott66 thread starter macrumors regular

chasescott66

Knoxville, TN here

6. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Nice! I wouldn't have expected the Apple Store to have these BTO models. Same I ordered (except color). hopefully mine will be here today.

7. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

8. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Got mine today in Tampa

9. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Picked up a Space Gray 13 3.3/16/512 at the White Plains, NY Apple Store this morning. It's a fast little machine. Upgrading from a 12 inch MacBook which is going to a new employee, so I already have some USB-C accessories. Our business discount helped slightly. According to my rep, they had just one of this config in stock. I didn't ask about other models, but I'm assuming they have a few. No display models other than the base non-touch bar version.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I also made the jump from the 12" rMB, and the performance gains are immediately noticeable just moving around the UI.

Also, 12" to 13.3" doesn't should like a big deal, but the resolution increase is great.

11. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

they have them here in toronto, but only silver as well.

tempted to get it anyway haha cannot wait for mine to come

but i rly want the grey

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Rhode Island here. Unfortunately the Providence store doesn't even have a 15" on display. If Boston had a Space Gray 15" 2.9 1TB 460 in stock and I could reserve it until I got there, I would brave Boston traffic to make it happen!

The crazy thing is I had one on pre-order less than 3 mins after pre orders started, but I cancelled it on Nov 4 after making the decision that I would wait until 32 GB of RAM is available. But after days of research, I'm of the opinion that while it's possible it could happen in 12 months, 18-24 months is far more likely. And then I read some of the exciting reviews here...and then I also heard from a professional colleague that does similiar work to me (I'm an assignment-based photographer and videographer) and he said that his new MBP was running very smooth while editing full-frame 4K video at 60 fps.

So here I am, pulling the trigger, again! If I stayed on course, I would be using it right now. Instead, my new delivery date is Dec 22-28. I think I'll drink some beeer tonight!

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I took picked up a Late 2016 15" MBP in Silver late last night. I love it!!!

14. Rafterman macrumors 68020

Apple often has BTO's in store, that aren't even on the web site's inventory check. I bought my late 2013 maxed out 15 inch MB Pro at the Apple store, even though the website said it wasn't available in store. But they had it. Though with the constrained situation, I doubt you will get too many positive stories from customers right now. Maybe in 6 months, but not now. Still, it's worth a check,

15. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

Hey, I'm Rhode Island too!
    other than that, almost everything that i have read seems to indicate that it will be a long time before intel has a cpu for the MBP that can support 32GB. to be honest i think that 16 is enough, it is a faster 16gb, and when paired with the super fast SSD it should be fine.

16. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

Welcome "back"! I honestly don't think the 16 GB vs 32 GB ram will be an issue for you. The other day I was playing around with some 100 MP raw files (from a Phase One IQ3 100MP Digital Back) in Capture One Pro 9 on me ol Wintel desktop and I don't think the ram usage went above 4 GB ram, probably less. Lightroom doesn't really seem to be a ram hog either. The new screen and faster SSD is going to be sooo sweet, though!

17. jacob_w macrumors member

Update for fellow Montrealers:

The Apple Store on Ste. Cathe has many various models in stock!! None for demo at the moment but they can be purchased as I was told just now.

18. chasescott66 thread starter macrumors regular

chasescott66

So, called this afternoon to ask if there were any cases, and out of curiosity asked if there were any Space Grey 15", 2.9GHz, 1TB, and Radeon 460..and they did! So I went and picked it up, and will return my new silver one tomorrow.

19. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

20. /macuser macrumors member

I picked up a 13 i7 TB with 16gb RAM and 512GB SSD. In Irvine.

They didn't have the any other config with 16gb.

They had most 13 configs with 8gb RAM.

21. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

How many were in stock at these stores? Seems to be pretty easy to get one?

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Howdy fellow Rhode Islander!

23. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

Its always cool to meet somebody from RI online

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Thank you! It's good to be back with an order. I'm certain about going forward with it this time around. (What's strange is I rarely ever change my mind and am usually fully committed when I pull the trigger.)

That's great news on the Phase One files. For starters, wow, what a camera! I dream of shooting medium format one day and I'm sure that will remain a dream forever. LOL. Right now, I currently shoot with a Canon 1D X Mark II and a Canon 5DsR. I also recently switched over the Capture One Pro and I use FCP X and Compressor for all of my video editing needs.

Appreciate the feedback!

Cheers,
    Bryan

25. killawat macrumors 65816

It's not easy but it's not impossible. Not being able to order online thins the herd since you have to go to the store. The store I called wouldn't even confirm stock levels. They have a lot of silver models in stock which is ok with me.