Just now realizing how much having an 8GB SUCKS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Aug 13, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Now that i have apps and ALL of my music on my mac's itunes instead on my old PC laptop, i am REALLY hating having only 8GB of space!!! I guess this will NEVER replace my ipod, even a 16GB would not have replaced my ipod. I like to have ALL music on my ALL THE TIME.. I mean, i have about 28 GB of music, which is not a TON (i know people who have more) but still.. its WAY more that i can narrow down to put onto my iphone and make it usable as an ipod..

WEll, i guess i am just lucky that i just replaced my stolen ipod with an 80 GB. I wil NEVER run otu of room there.

Just wanted to vent.. any MAYBE someone will read this thread before they ask

"is 8GB enough?"

2. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

My 80g ipod is full so are all the nanos in the house :D (i'd love a 160 especially now that i found cracks in my 80's screen). i don't carry any music on my iphone at all. 8g is plenty for me with apps only.

3. profetto macrumors regular

Just tape 10 iPhone (8 gigs) together... you'll have your 80 gigs in no time.

4. illutionz macrumors 65816

I don't know about you but I have approximately 20GB worth of music but if I happen to listen to the one that i hate, I will be pissed lol.

I usually made playlist of the songs I really like and listen to those only :)

To each its own i guess

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think you just need to better organize your music. I have 50GB of music and I have several (15) smart playlists that I use to load my iPod. I have never had a problem where I wanted to listen to one song and it wasn't synced. I like to have 16GB, but I can get away with a 4GB nano.

PS: rants about these sort of things make you sound pretty stupid, especially since you knew how much space your phone had when you bought it.

6. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

7. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

To clarify, an 8 GB iPhone has actually about 7.01 GB of usable space. A gig of music/apps is a big drop if you think about it.

That being said, I only listen to a certain amount of songs that I have and those too I find myself skipping. On my iPhone there is about 5-6 GB of music and then 1 GB of apps/photos/etc. 8 GB is definitely enough for me, especially being a phone. I feel like the battery life difference in maintaining a larger file system is something to think about too (unless that is negligible, which I don't really know if it is).

8. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Why would you have music on itunes that you HATE?

I am just ALWAYS trying to think of every scenario where i might want a certain song that isnt there.. i get annoyed.

9. kracker macrumors member

With my first iPhone I had music on it but never listened to it. Now with the 3G I bought 8gb and haven't put any music on it yet. I keep my iPod nano on me at most times..

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

then make some smart playlists :rolleyes:

People have music on iTunes that they don't like for all sorts of reasons. For example: I don't like the beatles, I have everyone of their albums. Why? Because my friends like to listen to them. example 2: I like some songs on some albums, but hate others. It'd be dumb to break apart an album if I bought it.

11. afterburn11 macrumors newbie

Listen-- I'm a music journalist-- I get paid to listen to music. I have 2000+ albums on my various computers and external hard drives, and something close to like 800GB of music overall.

And an 8GB iPhone is big enough to carry enough music at one time for me. I'm not going to listen to 2000+ albums at once. That's impossible. I carry a bunch of albums at a time on my iPhone, and when I get sick of what I have on there, guess what? I take some music off and put new music on.

I know it's convenient to have your entire CD collection at your every whim, but for me, no device besides a terabyte external hard drive could hold mine (and imagine carrying one of those around). I have an 80GB iPod classic, a third generation 20GB iPod, and a 2GB shuffle that I use for running.

8GB is enough. That holds like 2500+ songs at a time. You don't like something? Take something else off! It's not time-consuming or a hard process.

12. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

heres the think. i LIVE on my music. I NEED music in my life, and i have a nice collection that i LOVE> I am just saying..if you really are a music lover, and are looking to REPLACE your ipod with an iphone, get a bigger one.. Its not work pickng and choosing. I really do like ALL my music. Everyone one might not be perfect for ALL situations, but i like to have all my songs there for when i might want them on a whim/

i understand what you all are saying.. i'm just saying, if there WAS a choice (which i didnt have at the time) i would have went with the bigger one.. thats all.. its not enough to really REPLACE, if you are used to a 40GB

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I never understood why people need over 10,000+ songs with them on the go.

I have 500 songs, and that's plenty. I only have what i like on my iPhone and what i listen too. Not stuff i haven't even heard

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just make a playlist called "iPhone" and put all your favourite songs or artists or albums etc. with 28 GB you should be able to get under 8 GB. or just put all your new music on it.

15. afterburn11 macrumors newbie

Right, but I don't think anyone should be looking to replace their iPod with an iPhone... it just doesn't make sense from a capacity standpoint. An iPhone should be an auxillary device for a music lover, not a primary one. I wanted an iPhone to consolidate my iPod and my cell phone, and 8GB is more than enough room to carry what I'm currently listening to. The rest of my music is on my 80GB iPod which is docked in my stereo in my room, and I have some on my shuffle for when I run.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I made a playlist for my iPhone about a week after I bought it. It's comprised of something like 250 songs. I can, without any doubt in my mind, count on one hand how many times I've actually opened my iPod app. I guess I just find myself busy with other things.
    Point I'm making is 8GB has always been more than enough space for me.

CAPITAL LETTERS

17. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

8gb is good, as long as you have a 60 gb ipod:D

18. Haruk macrumors member

thanks for the awesome thread dude
    livejournal works too for bitching about stupid decisions

19. CharQuake macrumors member

Since all of you have more music then can fill up an 80gig iPod and I'm sure you don't steal music... So how much has everyone spent on iTunes in total? I'm up to $40 so far but I got my first apple product 2 weeks ago.

20. shinenjk macrumors regular

I originally bought an 8GB iPhone. I returned it after one day of use and exchanged it for a 16GB one because I realized I'd be installing a lot of applications, taking many pictures, putting buttloads of movies and songs in there. 8GB is just not enough.

21. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I bought ONE total album on iTunes.. ONE..

And i also did not steal ONE of my albums. I actually go to SHOWS and see LIVE bands and THEN i buy the cd DIRECTLY from the band, so i can support my favorite bands.

The music i like is probably not even available on limewire or whatever.. going to shows for my entire life and working at a college radio station has yielded MANY MANY cds.. Not everyone DOWNLOADS their music.. personally, i am NOT a fan. I like having the album art in my HANDS>

22. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

In over 4 years of iPod ownership... probably <$100. I've only bought one album from the music store, and only because it wasn't available at the Amazon MP3 store. (now, ask me how much I've spent at the Amazon MP3 store because that would be a lot. Better quality, DRM-free, and cheaper. It's a winning combo.) Maybe about 10 singles, a few TV shows, one season pass (Lil Bush. Totally worth it), and only one paid app (MLB At Bat, also totally worth it). Everything else is either a free iTunes download or in that lovely gray area of rips of CDs I actually own.

I only have about 50GB of music, but I'll confess to ripping my CDs at higher bit rates (256kbps) and I have playlists organizing a good amount of it into 1-2GB chunks so I can drag and drop them onto my shuffle, touch, or iPhone as desired.

23. afterburn11 macrumors newbie

None. I get CDs sent to me by record labels, or I buy CDs from brick and mortar stores. I've never bought even one song from iTunes yet.

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

OP, why don't you compress your music to 128 AAC? Unless it already is at or near that quality...

25. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Why do people want to carry 20+ gigs of music with them at all times? I've got about four hundred songs (404 to be exact) on my 4 gig iPhone, and I've never run out of things to listen to. Seriously people, it's not all that bad not having everything with you at all times. Make a few playlists of your favourite things and move on with life :)

Attached Files: