Just purchase 4S. Now not eligible for upgrade until 05/08/2013?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikos, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Nikos, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I just purchased an iPhone 4S at $399 + $250 (early upgrade fee). When I dial *639# now, I get "You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 05/08/2013."

When I called AT&T yesterday, a rep told me that EARLY upgrade will not affect my STANDARD upgrade date, and that it would stay the same. It was 11/18/2011.

Was I lied to? I asked more than once because this sounded odd to me, but the rep kept reassuring me that it was true.

EDIT: Called and complained about being misinformed. Was told I should see a credit of $250 posted to my account as an over payment. :)

EDIT 2: LIED TO AGAIN by AT&T. Christopher S promised me a $250 credit yesterday. Today I'm being told that it isn't possible and was offered $25 credit, 10% of what I was promised. There are many others receiving credits so I know it isn't impossible. I gave my best argument but to no avail. :mad:

2. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Wait, you didn't realise buying subsidised meant you opened a new two-year contract?!

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You signed a new two year deal to get the discount. Of course your upgrade date changes. :confused:

4. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

You were lied to. An early upgrade is just like a regular upgrade but.. Early. You pay more for an early upgrade but it is still a 2 year contract upgrade. Only way your upgrade would of stayed the same is buying it full price. No contract extension.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you're confused or the rep did not understand you.
    It appears as though you bought the newest iPhone using your early upgrade discount. It sounds as though you were able to get the full subsidized pricing on 11/18/2011 (or 18/11/2011 for you brits). Whether you paid a little more for your phone or not today is unknown.

When you did this, you moved your NEXT upgrade date out. It should be 2 years, it seems as though that's not 2 years but my maths are bad. Why would you think you get an upgrade on 10/7/11 and then again on 11/18/11?

You weren't lied to. You walked into this weird thing called a contract. A 2 year contract no longer means what it meant before the iPhone, but either way, you walked into a new (or extended as you can call it) contract.

6. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Yes, you were lied to. It uses your upgrade and you re-sign a 2 year agreement.

7. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

You paid $250 early upgrade so you could get a new phone 30 days early? Did you think you would be able to upgrade on 11/18 after getting the 4s? I'm not sure if there is an actual problem here other than you expected to get two upgrades in a month.

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Why did you pay an early upgrade fee instead of just waiting until November to do a normal upgrade? Seems like a waste of $250 for getting it a month earlier...

And like the others said, the price you just paid was for an upgrade, which renews your contract and starts your upgrade cycle again.

9. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

DAMN! 250? I had to wait until 12/2011 in order not to pay an early upgrade fee but mine was only $20. yikes

10. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Two year contract yes but, according to the rep I spoke to, my STANDARD upgrade date should have stayed the same. I found that odd as well, but some others have posted the same thing here.

----------

Well, this sucks. One of the reasons I did it is because I thought I'd still have my upgrade for the next iPhone, and wouldn't have to pay the $250 AGAIN.

Some other members here confirmed this, so that made me feel better.

I asked the woman very clearly in three different ways, and she was very assertive that Early and Standard upgrades have nothing to do with each other.

At this point, I'm fed up with AT&T. They've been handing out credits, changing peoples upgrade eligibility dates, etc. After six calls, they'd do NOTHING to me, except misinform, apparently.

11. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I guess yearly upgrades are a thing of the past. I just upgraded and now I show an upgrade date of 05/08/2013!!!!! WTF, 19 months makes no sense. Oh well I guess I'll be using my early upgrade for the phone next year.

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I got the same date when I did mine. 19 months and I am eligible for upgrade again.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

DO not believe all you read here. I do not know why buy many here will lie about what they got or were promissed.

You have the option of not accepting the phone and getting every bit of your mon ey back

14. meder87 macrumors regular

15. ogdogg macrumors 6502

It says several times while completing the checkout process that you're signing a new 2-yr agreement. No way you missed it...

16. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

I believed the rep who misinformed me, above all. Especially considering I asked her three times in different ways. I couldn't have been any more clear, and she couldn't have been any more convincing.

17. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Return the phone. Get a full refund back and make sure the contract stays the same. Call AT&T and try to get them to change the upgrade date. On some occasions they actually do. I work in retail so I know. If not, wait until November. The iPhone 4S isn't disappearing.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

captain obvious says: Discount = more time added to contract.

19. trouble747 macrumors 6502

20. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

I tried six times to get my date changed, some form of credit, etc. I keep getting the wrong reps.

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

When I was going through my process with CS before they fixed my dates they advised me of a no commitment upgrade exception which I declined.

That would've been basically $199 + $225 and NOT change my contract or upgrade dates.

The problem though is never take word. Always have them note it on your account.

22. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

The no commitment pricing for the iPhone 4S is supposed to be 649/749/849 depending on the model. I don't understand how you are getting everything for so cheap.

23. mom333 macrumors regular

If that's possible - that is definitely my vote too!

----------

Why all the frowns at the 19 month upgrade status? You buy the 4S KNOWING you are signing a 2 year contract (that's 24 months by the way). Yet in "19" months you are eligible for an upgrade. Sounds pretty good to me. So, I will have this rather nice 4S until 19 months from now, and then I can get another, newer, faster, fancier iPhone? I'll take it! :p

24. LoganT macrumors 68020

I usually get an upgrade every 12 months, because of what I pay on that line. But after buying the 64 GB iPhone 4S, my next eligibility upgrade is May 8, 2013.

Either they've changed something, or I'll hopefully be eligible in October 2012.

25. silver8ack macrumors regular

I dont know when it changed but my first 2 iphone upgrades were allowed after only a year into the contract.

Now all of a sudden we have to wait, even though the iphone was released later than usual.

I understand contracts, but it seems like ATT was making exceptions for iPhones when it was exclusive. Not that it's not exclusive, they don't seem to care if you can upgrade or not.

I bet Apple was forcing ATT to allow users to upgrade after a year.