Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Astute analysis of Apple’s week; extremely cogent counter argument to my analysis :rolleyes:

Apple Arcade is another winner. No IAP and what looks to be some rather compelling games. Subsidizing indies is especially important and truly meaningful. Excellent strategic move that is likely to pay great dividends in the future.

PS. Again, congrats! “I know you are but what am I” is about as content-free and valueless a post as you can get. Quite impressive, and a worthy addition to your canon of work here.

How much are you paying per month for Apple Arcade? How about TV+? Are they winners like AirPower?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
There’s no way? Athlon 64 was done entirely by hand. As was every other chip I ever worked on at AMD, Sun and Exponential. We placed every cell by hand, and synthesized all logic by hand.

Same here. Not cpus, but very unique and very high speed signal processing ASICs. The benefits of hand placement/routing were huge in terms of die size and performance.

bryan1andersons

Suspended
Sep 30, 2015
Personally, I think iOS took a nose dive after Scott Forstall left. I understand that he was the main guy behind iOS being what it is. He may have been difficult to manage, but Jobs understood his value and contribution and made it work. Every year, progress was made, until he left. Then it was flat this, and tiny feature that.

If this CPU architect guy is anything like that, Apple could lose its hardware advantage. As it is, Snapdragon SoCs have almost caught up.

Things aren't looking up for Apple at the moment.

I personally am a huge fan of Scotty. The nature of the iPhone’s first OS was a heavy debate and Scott basically promised that he could get macOS running on it. Other internal competitors wanted a more iPod like OS. He and his team delivered. iOS was so far ahead of it’s time it was insane.

With that said, this is not true. The development team has invested a huge amount of effort into many technologies that make the OS more accessible to developers.

Swift is an entire new programming language.. This made app development accessible to EVERYONE.

ARKit.. are you kidding me? Apple invented a public augmented reality API that works?? The impact this will have in the next 10 years CANNOT be overstated. It’s huge and we’ll start reaping the rewards of this focus very soon.

In fact, Scott left and then Swift was green lighted. craig federighi is incredible and one of Steve Jobs’ top guys at NeXT.

He was hired again as a senior VP while Steve was still calling shots. He is extremely adept. He took part if helping craft the Swift language.

As a software engineer I can tell you that you’re for sure wrong. HUGE groundwork has been laid over the last 5 years to unify the operating systems. Swift was the first part of that. This year we’ll get more of that until development for the Mac becomes as accessible to developers as iOS. And then AR. . . They’re doing big things

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Architects are a lot less important in CPU design than you’d think. (Not that they aren’t important, but everybody is replaceable, and Apple’s advantage is primarily in design, not architecture).
All depends on if he is is involved or just management.

One thing that is hard to understand (for me) is the line between differentiation and economy of scale.
Apple can make tailored chips that may give them an edge.
Companies like Intel who make more general purpose chips can spend more money because that research cost is spread across a larger number of clients.
In the longer term I think that companies like intel will win out.
[doublepost=1553997029][/doublepost]
In fact, Scott left and then Swift was green lighted. craig federighi is incredible and one of Steve Jobs’ top guys at NeXT.

He was hired again as a senior VP while Steve was still calling shots. He is extremely adept. He took part if helping craft the Swift language.
Which part in crafting the Swift Language did he play?

Swift was crafted by Chris Lattner and 4 named others.

Last edited:

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
You do realize the next Apple CEO could be worse than Tim Cook, right? Let's not pretend a change of CEO will fix everything.

What we need is the equivalent of a Satya Nadella as Tim's successor. What we get may be someone who is even worse than Tim for allowing the bean counters to run Apple.

totally agreed "everybody is replaceable"
so why some people think Tim is not replaceable
he should be the first one out the door

people that love services will love apple
people that love computers, devices etc
might not be so happy with apple lately
while many will still defend apple, others like me will simply call it like it is
no innovation and abandonware
that includes the Mac Pro and also let's promise and announce and not deliver air power
I think I said enough but I think I have some more things to say
let me just get it off my chest

can't wait to get rid of Tim, ever since he became apple CEO
the keynotes sucks big time, sorry but he doesn't have any charisma, he doesn't connect
at least not with me, apple is not like it used to be

hope someone comes alone that can turn this around
we need someone cool who also talks and understand technology
Tim just talk about percentage and numbers
sorry but that is the way I feel
nothing personal Tim, just business
[doublepost=1553964230][/doublepost]the reason why that man left is obvious
also the timing might be an indication
apple doesn't care about hardware anymore

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
How much are you paying per month for Apple Arcade? How about TV+? Are they winners like AirPower?
If you’re asking how much I think Apple will charge for Arcade: based on the prices of other games, the types and quality of the demoed games, the costs of in app purchases under the alternative freemium model, the demographic of the potential target market—and of course the cost of subsidizing developers and operating the business unit—my estimate is $15-20 per month. Personally, I’d like to see $9.99 but I think that’s wishful thinking on my part. $14.99-19.99 would be a good value. 30-60 day free trial period.

re: TV+, pricing depends wholly on what the offering will be. If it’s only Apple’s original content, I think it’ll be maybe $2.99. There just isn’t a lot of value when their initial offering will be so limited. Of course, over the years they could charge more, as their catalog expands.

But if Apple really is going to field a Netflix competitor—i.e. their own original content supplemented by a ton of content licensed from third parties in the vein of Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Amazon Prime—then I think it’ll be priced in the $9.99-12.99 range.

re: the cancellation of AirPower vs. the success/failure of Apple Arcade or TV+, I think their is approximately zero linkage. If Apple puts forth a competitive streaming TV offering, I’m sure they’ll be able to acquire tens of millions of subscribers in relatively short order, like they did with Apple Music.

I think Arcade has a ton of potential, since there is a fair amount of IAP fatigue and Apple has a potentially highly-effective marketing platform in the form of an Arcade tab in the App Store, plus the ability to give away samples very cheaply. (When you’ve got a great product, sampling is an extremely effective marketing technique. But it cuts both ways; it’ll kill a crappy product in no time flat.)

Looking forward to your comments and analysis.

Jerus

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2017
You do realize the next Apple CEO could be worse than Tim Cook, right? Let's not pretend a change of CEO will fix everything.

What we need is the equivalent of a Satya Nadella as Tim's successor. What we get may be someone who is even worse than Tim for allowing the bean counters to run Apple.

THANK YOU!
Finally someone who is realistic about Tim’s replacement. With Apple logic and their focus on service I feel that they would choice Eddie Cue and I’m not sure the people on this forum would like that.

All the Scott fan boys seems to have forgotten Apple maps release. That was 100 times more embarrassing than AirPower ever been.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
... or:
Tim Cook is not an engineer. He is not a designer. Not a computer scientist.
He was CFO if I recall correctly and in earlier days streamlined production. He's a money man (a.k.a beancounter). The new "products" reflect this very well.

"If the only tool you got is a hammer, anything looks like a nail". Apple now - finally - introduced products the boss is familiar with.

Yes he is. Has a degree and everything.

Unlike, say, Steve Jobs.

Tim followed up his "industrial engineering" BS with an MBA. It's stretches credibility past the breaking point to call the guy an "engineer," something I suspect Tim himself would agree with. The dude is a beancounter and every action he has taken bears that out.

Reactions: PC_tech and Huck

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
This really is the worst week for Apple in recent memory

Apple's last lead over its competitors with the iPhone is now starting to erode away....

This is a bad sign when all the smart people leave.

Also, the sky is falling! Help, help!

Please, give me a break.

You guys overreact so hard.

Oh please

But haven’t you heard, the sky is falling!!

Reactions: realtuner

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
THANK YOU!
Finally someone who is realistic about Tim’s replacement. With Apple logic and their focus on service I feel that they would choice Eddie Cue and I’m not sure the people on this forum would like that.

All the Scott fan boys seems to have forgotten Apple maps release. That was 100 times more embarrassing than AirPower ever been.
The biggest black mark on Forstall—if true—is his reported refusal to sign the Apple Maps apology letter to customers. All respect lost at that point. When your boss (rightly) tells you that you screwed up, and you need to apologize as part of the process of regaining your customers’ trust—but you refuse—sorry, you’re done. Don’t let the door hit you. #sorrynotsorry

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Tim followed up his "industrial engineering" BS with an MBA. It's stretches credibility past the breaking point to call the guy an "engineer," something I suspect Tim himself would agree with. The dude is a beancounter and every action he has taken bears that out.

He has a college degree from an accredited university in engineering. He’s an engineer. What he does after doesn’t change that.

I have a BS, MS and PhD in electrical engineering. I worked as an engineer for 10 years. I “followed up” with a law degree. I’m still an engineer.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
What’s with all the quote marks? And no, getting an MBA didn’t nullify Cook’s engineering degree.

Your argument would be more convincing with some evidence/examples of this “all bean counter, all the time” claim you’ve made.

Last edited:
Reactions: realtuner

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Apple Arcade is another winner.
We don't even know the price, let alone the conditions of Apple Arcade. It's a bit early to call it a winner or loser.

No IAP and what looks to be some rather compelling games.
I mean, maybe. Mobile gaming is a mixed bag. The market has shown that mobile games need to be broken into very short play sessions. Look at Angry Birds and Candy Crush and you will see games that are really just short 2 to 5 min levels. Words With Friends and Draw Something were seconds to minutes of gameplay per engagement. There are popular (and fun) games because the style of mobile gaming is functionally different than console and PC gaming.

Subsidizing indies is especially important and truly meaningful.
Indie studios have made some memorable titles, but I am not sure that subsidizing them is important or meaningful. Can you explain what you meant in more detail?

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't?
[doublepost=1554002341][/doublepost]
He has a college degree from an accredited university in engineering. He’s an engineer. What he does after doesn’t change that.

I have a BS, MS and PhD in electrical engineering. I worked as an engineer for 10 years. I “followed up” with a law degree. I’m still an engineer.

Once a cheater always a cheater? Right? That's the logic I am hearing.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
What’s with all the quote marks? And no, getting an MBA didn’t nullify Cook’s engineering degree.

Your argument would be more convincing with some evidence/examples of this “all bean counter, all the time” claim you’ve made.

Mr. Cook is known for playing his part in saving Apple in the late 90s by streamlining production. That is where he earned his merits and history shows he was (and probably still is) good at that. Like really, really good. Doing this made him the perfect Lieutenant for Steve Jobs. Jobs decreed and oversaw the creation of products, Mr. Cook made sure production is ramped up and streamlined and therefore that Apple remained profitable. We know SJs tendency to be pedantic, so I figure that might not have been the easiest job in the world at times, to say the least.

That said, in order to be able to streamline production, you need desirable products in the first place. And that is not exactly Mr. Cooks particular strength. And it shows, more and more imo...

Airpower cancelation hit him hard

Actually fake news. Airpower is well, you can attend September 6-7 2019 if you so desire:

https://www.steiermark.com/de/reiseplanung/veranstaltungen/airpower-2019_e1871452

Great show, btw

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
When 'key' people leave, is that a sign of deterioration for the platform? Apple could hire others, but not as experienced either.

Reactions: EightyTwenty

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Apple Watch. AirPod. IPad Pro.

I mentioned the iPad pro as one of the few products that has been updated post-Jobs.

AirPods are just wireless EarPods (which Jobs oversaw the development of). They have yet to be redesigned.

Apple watch is a post-Jobs product, but it hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

Reactions: Huck and Roger67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.