KGI: 6.1-Inch iPhone to Have Single-Lens Rear Camera, Aluminum Frame, 3GB RAM, and No 3D Touch, Cost $700-$800

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today shared additional details about the rumored 6.1-inch iPhone that he expects to launch in the second half of 2018.

[​IMG]
    Note: KGI's image has a slight error. iPhone 8 Plus has 3GB of RAM.

We already know the device is said to have some iPhone X features, including Face ID, but with some design compromises to achieve a cheaper price point. That will include an LCD screen, as known, and now Kuo says the device will have an aluminum frame, single-lens rear camera, and no 3D Touch.

It's unclear if the back of the iPhone will also be forged from aluminum rather than glass, a tradeoff that would inhibit wireless charging.

In a research note obtained by MacRumors on Tuesday, Kuo added that the 6.1-inch iPhone also won't adopt the iPhone X's stacked logic board and L-shaped battery pack. Instead, he said the device will have a standard non-stacked logic board and rectangular battery pack like the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Kuo believes the 6.1-inch iPhone will be a mid-range device priced between $700 and $800 in the United States, up from his previous $650 to $750 estimate. The device is expected to be announced around September-October as usual alongside a new 5.8-inch iPhone X and a larger 6.5-inch version dubbed iPhone X Plus.

The research note reads in part:
    KGI Securities expects the 6.1-inch iPhone to account for around 50 percent of the new iPhone lineup's shipments, with sales remaining strong into 2019.

Article Link: KGI: 6.1-Inch iPhone to Have Single-Lens Rear Camera, Aluminum Frame, 3GB RAM, and No 3D Touch, Cost $700-$800

2. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Cheap is not good but the no 3D Touch is like a step back from Apple take his rumors with a grain of salt

3. profets macrumors 601

Sounds like this is lining up to be a replacement for the iPhone 8 Plus. Though no 3D touch or rear glass are interesting omissions.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

It seems odd that they would not include 3D touch. That tech is a few years old at this point; it should become standard on all new iPhones at this point, especially since many recent UI enhancements in iOS depend on it.

5. soanis macrumors regular

soanis

lol no 3D touch most likely meaning embedded touchID?

6. Suckfest 9001, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018

Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

7. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

That's rather interesting. No 3D Touch, basic camera....weird.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Missing 3D Touch seems a bit odd... I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with my 6+, but I figured it was here to stay.

9. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

No 3D touch? I highly doubt that.
    This whole 6.1" iPhone feels sketchy anyway...

10. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

If this is true, that cuts the 6.1" phone out for me. I've become so used to 3D Touch on my iPhone 7 Plus that I do a double-take whenever I'm using my wife's iPhone SE and pressing harder doesn't do anything.

11. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

3D Touch has been implemented system wide in iOS at this point; removing the feature makes the the OS more difficult to navigate. Can't believe apple which prides itself on software and hardware meshing would do such a thing

12. Mike82 macrumors member

Only the plus has 3 GB.

13. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

LOL apple is such a penny pinching company now that creates unnecessary social hierarchy.

14. UMJonny macrumors newbie

UMJonny

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but if there isn't some form of touchID on one of these new phones i won't be buying one. Going to have to look elsewhere...

15. synergize macrumors regular

16. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

BS. Why would they leave 3D Touch out when they have gone to lengths to integrate it as a core functionality?

17. WiseAJ macrumors 6502

WiseAJ

No way they would leave out 3D Touch in the phone unless they replace it with something better (like Face ID replaced Touch ID)

I can’t see it not having anything the current iPhone 8 has except for the change of Touch ID to Face ID.

18. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

KGI has no clue about the 2018 iPhones. Why would Apple take out something it spent so much time developing software for?

If Apple releases a gimped entry model, I’ll go elsewhere. Rather deal with Google’s Pixel or the Galaxy because I know I’ll get more hardware for my $.

19. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Money money money over usability. Anything to keep those shareholders happy I guess

20. walnuts macrumors 6502a

I think Apple is hurting themselves with these partial rollouts of their features. 3D Touch is already haphazardly implemented across their product lines. What incentive do developers have to implement 3D Touch when a) half their users can’t use it and b) because anyone doesn’t have it, any function achieved with 3D Touch needs to also be available without it, probably in a more easily discoverable manner.

I always assumed that 3D Touch was taking a while to reach iPads because the current gen Pencil tech was incompatible, but if this rumor is to be believed and it really is Apple’s intention to only include 3D Touch in their highest end iPhones, I don’t think it’s worth it anywhere.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Sounds like a cheapened replacement that will cause confusion as to which model is the "flagship" against which other flagships are compared.

I can easily see people claiming this is the flagship since it would be new model and has a bigger screen. That's just the way some tend to think.

22. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

What baffles me the most is the lack of an OLED display. Every phone that I know of in the $700-800 price range has an OLED display, and HAS HAD one for a while. As you know, Apple was late to the game adopting OLED screens. And now Apple is really going to limit the OLED display to their $1000+ phones?

If so -- laughable. But we'll see. It's just a rumor.

23. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I won't miss 3D Touch. I surely wouldn't miss the rear glass even at the expense of losing wireless charging. I would miss the dual rear camera but that is not a deal breaker. At that price, I would be in line for the 6.1" LCD iPhone.

24. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

I don't think most people use it???

25. Andres Cantu, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

No 3D Touch will make me think twice about replacing parents’ iPhone 7’s. Maybe I’ll just replace the batteries instead.

And I assume no haptic feedback and back to crappy vibrations.