Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Makes me wonder if Apples device will be a wireless at a distance charger with Qi cross compatibility. I know it's very unlikely, just might be a reason Apple hasn't finished the puck yet? I'm really just spitballing here.
No, it's standard Qi charging and Apple STILL can't get it ready to offer for sale at todays event.

Reactions: jamesrick80

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
I have a galaxy s8 and was hoping to be impressed enough to get the iphone 8. I never use the usb port except for programming. I wanted the iphone 8 to only support wireless charging, let you program wirelessly, and not have a usb port at all. It sounds like I am going to be disappointed again.

Reactions: big-ted

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
or maybe this just isn't Apple's priority.... I mean if the phone uses Qi standard, and there are already lots of 3Ps making chargers...... what value can Apple add (other than maybe design)? This is exactly like they did with Monitors for the new MacBook pro........ they sell/recommend LG models..... but will likely create their own later on.

I suspect that they will announce availability of some particular 3P chargers at Apple Stores.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Dont worry about this guys, you wont get the new iphone well untill December. And when you do, well what a surprise, you'll also be able to get the new ultra high-tech wireless charging pod. But, without quickcharge - that feature is saved for the "s" version next year.

Reactions: jamesrick80

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
This will be interesting. Rumor was the wireless charging would be built in to the new iPhones but would not be activated until a later software update. The rumor also was the charging would be based on Qi which implied Apple was putting its own twist on the implementation.

Maybe Apple realized what a public relations nightmare having wireless charging disabled would have caused and decided to just use the open standard.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
It'll be announced today as "Available Later This Year" and finally be available to purchase in December only to trickle out slowly to Apple Stores and then other stores. The AirPod fiasco all over again.
Don't forget that it will be way more expensive than third-party versions.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
More than that. Remember the one where Jobs was showing off (I think) iPhoto and the WiFi went out and you could see the steam wafting from his head. These are not made for Hollywood events where everything can be perfect because it's fake. This is all real. Can't expect perfection. Who hasn't given a presentation where everything wasn't completely baked.
Not to forget the first live stream event a few years ago that started out in Japanese or something and then stopped.

Reactions: macfacts and wyarp

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
If this is true it will overshadow a lot of the news/discussion about the phone itself. How do you not have a design change for three years, with the resources of Apple, and not be able to ready your own charging station? It would be really nice if this affected some kind of leadership change at Apple as this is just a symptom of a larger problem, but I doubt if that will happen.

In what way will it overshadow anything? Rememeber when Steve jobs introduced the first white iPhone.... only it too them about a year to finally roll it out as they couldn't manage to get the manufacturers to create the solid/opaque white they wanted which kept delaying it's introduction.

With regard wireless charging I don't even see the point of it unless it's truly wireless, like wifi is. Otherwise you are just replacing a small, neat cable and plug with a bigger, clumsier 'pad' which also still needs plugging in anyway!

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I'm not really sure the upside of inductive charging, but my wife told me this morning that this could be her favorite feature on the phone, so I guess I'm just not the target audience.

I can tell you from the perspective of someone who travels often I've seen people simply place their phones on tables in hotels, restaurants, and coffee places that have it built into the tables and it is really simple... You don't need to find the cord, you don't need to find a seat next to a wall, etc. Granted, there are only a handful of places that have these tables but it's because only, what, 10% (?) of people with smart phones have phones with the capability. Imagine if the iPhone releases this, within the matter of a couple of years I'd be willing to bet it increase to over 75% of smart phones on the streets would have this. I'm not saying Apple makes up 65% of the market but they make up a large portion but more importantly the adoption would advanced much greater and would push other manufacturers to do the same.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
I have a galaxy s8 and was hoping to be impressed enough to get the iphone 8. I never use the usb port except for programming. I wanted the iphone 8 to only support wireless charging, let you program wirelessly, and not have a usb port at all. It sounds like I am going to be disappointed again.
I'm sorry I have to ask; What is "programming wirelessly"? Whats is the advantage of only being able to "program wirelessly". I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean set-up a phone?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
When I first read this, I thought this was the one of the stupidest Apple rumors ever.

How would a company which prides itself on creating the whole experience—a delightful one—leave the charger to a Third party? A part of the experience which is a big differentiator of the iPhone X?

How would a company that makes billions upon billions of dollars in over-priced accessories seed this revenue to a third party?

No way.

Then I remembered the LG 5K debacle with the launch of the MacBook Pro. Apple has made this type of idiotic decision before.

But that was Apple ignoring their Pro customers and losing touch with their core. Surely they would not do that with the core revenue platform that will fuel the company for the next 10 years?

My guess is this rumor is either wrong or it's similar to the Apple Watch. The iPhone X will come with an inductive charging cable, and at some point in the future they will sell a plastic base for that cable and phone to work together.

If so, what a lost opportunity to design something amazing.

We'll know the answers soon. But as others have pointed out, either this is a bungled launch, apple's product strategy problems aren't limited to their lack of understanding and care around the Mac, or the rumors are killing the joy out of this launch.

Let's hope it's the later.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
I'm sorry I have to ask; What is "programming wirelessly"? Whats is the advantage of only being able to "program wirelessly". I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean set-up a phone?

Develop apps without plugging in a usb cable.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Something just doesn’t add up. I mean short of Apple holding out for actual short range wireless charging (as in, no contact whatsoever) as was rumoured some time ago. Are we really suggesting that one of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world couldn’t knock out an inductive charger?

Yeah, this makes 0 sense as you say. Its like people who think that the faceID will struggle if you have sunglasses on or change your makeup or hairstyle. If it seems utterly retarded it probably is.

Reactions: TrueBlou

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Why is it assumed that 3rd party chargers will work before Apple releases their own?

Surely Apple can disable inductive charging via software and then enable with a future software update.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I think this sounds very odd indeed.

Lots of people would happily pay $79 or $99 for an original Apple wireless charger when picking up their new phone even though third party models can be had for $20 today.

There is tons of profit lost for Apple if wireless charging is enabled in the phone and they can't supply their own series of wireless chargers when the phone is released. It simply doesn't seem like something they would do; letting go of all that 'free' money.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Why do we call these things wireless charging? When you still have to put the phone on a something ATTACHED to a wire? What is the difference to that and a regular dock other than cuteness?

Call me when we developed Tesla’s invention of true wireless charging.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Damn, I wanted to see how much Apple Tax.... I mean markup Apple charges for its slower wireless charger.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Seems bizarre that they'd integrate this into the phone and not have an accessory for it. That's like having a magnet in the iPad but no smart cover....

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
While the stuff coming this year seems exciting it also seems like it won't be until fall 2018 that this stuff is mainstream / ready for primetime. The production issues with iPhone X, likely 3rd party app changes needed for iPhone X, wireless charging somehow (how in the world is this not ready?) not delivered at launch, TouchID being planned for iPhone X then suddenly removed is concerning etc. Bleeding edge is just that, I have a feeling it will leave us bleeding this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.