Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I would like them to forecast an updated 4-inch iphone
I doubt Apple feels like they could sell that many. If the iPhone 6 experience has taught them anything, it's that a small minority of people want a 4 inch phone, but they would be fine settling for 4.7 inch phone.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
I don't necessarily have heartburn with any of your opinions, but for the sake of conversation:
there are tons of Androids being sold that Apple can convert to grow units sold.
Sure. And maybe they'll get a few of those. But price point is important and many of the Android users don't care about the Apple ecosystem. If they can browse their FB page and get calls (I'd venture the primary use for most casual users) even a great, albeit expensive iPhone will not attract the needed converts to sustain the then to now observed growth. At some point, sooner than later I might guess based on the sea of new and used options out there, will need to adjust their price or tap emergent markets to keep the growth going as it has been in the past.
And how long can Apple's competitors selling Android keep making flagship phones while not making a profit on them?
I'll assume the last one standing will have the most compelling Android product. Previous Android users will turn to them rather than Apple (for the most part). If so, then that OEM will satisfy that need and Apple still won't be able to attract enough converts to sustain the previous growth curve.
Samsung is making enough of a profit that presumably they won't quit anytime soon.
Nobody but NOBODY will capitulate the mobile market to Apple. The stakes are just too high. Someone may fold, but someone else will fill the void.
If they can't, then can they keep up in the years to come?
I sure hope so. As much as I like my iP6, I sure as heck don't want to see only Apple left standing with no one else to keep them honest.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
No one ever fired an analyst for being wrong. They have great job security. They can make up numbers that aren't even close and yet they'll be around next quarter making the same mistakes.

I know I'm going to be pissed when Amazon goes up $50 on earnings and Apple goes down $5. Profitless Amazon destroys profitable Apple yet again in share gains. I'll be pondering how Amazon always makes its investors happy but Apple can only disappoint investors.

Maybe we should be buying Amazon stock. :)
Seriously, we can almost guess how things seem to play out with these tech stocks. The manipulation by analysts. Why not play along?
Are we who invest in Apple stock (myself included in the past), blinded by our passion of Apple products, that we can't see how not to waste time on AAPL?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I would like them to forecast an updated 4-inch iphone

Right next to a $2K MacPro and a $1K MacMini with mid-end discrete video and user replaceable RAM and storage. Apple sunk those ships in the harbor in broad daylight. What's anyone gonna do about it!

(Personally I was the biggest detractor of a 5"+ iPhone but the old iPhones feel so tiny now. No desire for a smaller screen anymore. But I do still pine for the days when you could buy a bare bones MP and deck it out as you saw fit and over time as your budget allowed. Really hate this what you buy is what you are stuck with era.)

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Well, I guess playing the big screen card is just like force ahem 3D touch.

You peek and then you POP!

Just like a bubble!

mbh1976

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I doubt Apple feels like they could sell that many. If the iPhone 6 experience has taught them anything, it's that a small minority of people want a 4 inch phone, but they would be fine settling for 4.7 inch phone.
How is that the case? Apple never gave customers the opportunity to decide. They said- here are the 2 new phones, if you want latest tech/camera, here are your only options (4.7 and 5.5 screens). I have a bunch of friends (many who have 6/6s) who said they would have preferred to stick with a 4-inch model.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I have to admit, the 6S is a very nice upgrade in my opinion. The sales numbers should support that.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
No one--NO ONE--keeps sales figure a secret if they are amazing.

It means, undeniably, the figures are dismal. I would take the analysts analyses and cut it in half--2M for Q1.

Really? Absolutely "No one -- NO ONE--" ??

From FORBES "
MAY 20, 2015 @ 11:00 AM221,535 VIEWS
"Samsung Silent On Disastrous Galaxy S6 Sales"

Reactions: CB1234

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I have to admit, the 6S is a very nice upgrade in my opinion. The sales numbers should support that.

That's the exact same thing they said with iPhone 6. There's a point where the iPhone will we too powerful to the point that it becomes a Mac. Will last for years and well no real reason to upgrade. Declines should start happening within a few years

Reactions: DynaFXD

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
That's the exact same thing they said with iPhone 6. There's a point where the iPhone will we too powerful to the point that it becomes a Mac. Will last for years and well no real reason to upgrade. Declines should start happening within a few years

Apple is very clever, I see shift in its products that leads to obsolescense.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
4M Watches for holiday season is way too low.

It's going to be a hot giift, especially the new golden aluminium models.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Really? Absolutely "No one -- NO ONE--" ??

From FORBES "
MAY 20, 2015 @ 11:00 AM221,535 VIEWS
"Samsung Silent On Disastrous Galaxy S6 Sales"
They should definitely use bold and uppercase to report sales figures ;)

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I wonder if Apple will ever be transparent about the watch sales. Regardless, I think it is safe to say that they are selling in the millions and is by far the best selling smartwatch. I could see (although I am not convinced) that the 6s numbers YoY will not be as hot, given that there is nothing huge in it (I love mine, but really if you have a 6 you are just as good). Let's see if the 7 comes out with something more significant. I would love to see them finally retire the home button so the screen size can increase without the phone size increasing. I also hope they spend a bajillion dollars on upgrading their services and integration points because that by far is the week link (even though in many ways they are still ahead of most others).

The category (iPone/smartphones) is so far matured that we should not expect miracles for the 7. The chip speed and size will eventually hit a limit. Same for camera pixels.

More GBs okay, they should be at 256 already, but it's Apple.

Yes to bigger screen real estate over making the phone bigger.

While my 4S is still doing it, I will buy a 6S plus as soon as they are widely available.

Partially because my eyesight is getting bad and partially because I waited long enough to get a lot of better features. (I am not an update must have latest crazy person)

Maybe tweaking voice recognition.

Apple services is another problem issue they don't seem to address swiftly.

There isn't one service of theirs I like or use and pay extra for. Dropbox runs rings around them.
Apple Music nah, iCloud nah.

Last edited:

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Will people still buy a laptop knowing Sklylake is out but not in Apple lineup yet???? What the hell is the hold up! It's a freak'n Processor! Ok ,ok I did hear they will redesign them too but geeeeezzz! Get them out already!!

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I have little respect for Kuo's estimates. His track record isn't near as good as bloggers claim, e.g., September quarter (FQ3/2015) iPhone 6S sales are given as 20 - 22 Million units even though Apple announced 13 Million first weekend sales. What's important about that is only 2 days of the first weekend were in FQ3. At most only 10 Million iPhone 6Ss were sold during the September quarter.

Kuo is given way to much credit for his "accuracy".

even in this thread people acting like he's given nothing but facts

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
a perfect iphone should stop the increasing in sells of the iphones...we buy because isn't perfect

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I truly hope that everyone who has bought an Apple Watch is enjoying using it, but there is no doubt in my mind that it has flopped. If sales were stellar, Tim Cook would surely have boasted of them by now. It's that simple. Business is business.

I think the surveys and even the Apple Watch forums here shows that the vast majority are enjoying their Apple Watch, including myself.

I don't think Tim not disclosing numbers is an indication that it has flopped... Just as Amazon not disclosing Prime members doesn't mean Prime is a flop.

On the contrary, he mentioned that sales are growing every quarter and we know it outsold the iPhone and iPad in their first 90 days. So if anything, sales are likely robust. But why paint a target on your back for competitors?

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Nope, they need to protect their margins so they remain a really really profitable company. Apple will loose some sales due to high prices, but not as many as folks think. How many people are choosing a $200 Android phone over an iPhone because the iPhone $750 or $650? You either want iOS or you don't is really the question. Apple keeping the price $50 cheaper because of currency fluctuations isn't going to make a big difference in numbers sold. But that $50 times every phone sold overseas is going to make a huge difference to the bottom line.

Even that difference is not big enough to offset the total profit in this one year, it generates larger benefit to Apple by making sure enough people to stay familiar with iPhone's user interface, not the Android's.

To help you understand how important that factor is, I can tell you that I've heard 4 times from 4 different friends of mine that, after long time consideration and trying different computers in the stores, they chose Windows computers over Macs, not for price reasons, as their employers were paying. They liked the hardware design of Macs a lot more, but it is much more comfortable for them to use the Windows user interface, even though they all heard a lot about the easy-to-use and less-prone-to-virus attributes of Mac OS. That's how strong habits can affect the sales in the long run!

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
How big is the high-end premium smartphone market anyway? Perhaps saturation is near.
You are probably right about the saturation being near!
I was going to upgrade my 6 to the 6s and then I realized that the 6 is doing everything I want it to!
If the 6/plus wasn't such a great phone, you'd probably see even more growth.
We'll have to see what the 7 brings.

4TheLoveOfGadgets

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
He just did boast about it. He recently said they sold a lot at launch quarter, more in the following quarter and he predicted they would sell even more in the following quarter. That sounds like boasting to me.

I also see many stores that are starting to carry the watch. Do you think they are just doing that for fun? Those stores probably get confidential information about sales and they probably hear about demand from their customers. So I think the watch is selling "fine". I'm not sure what "fine" is in numbers. But it doesn't seem like a flop.

Sounds more like dodging the question rather than boasting.

Funny how simple minds are fooled so easily.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Unless there is a price drop I don't see that watch attracting Apple enthusiast over the holiday. I'm buying one but it won't be until version 2.
Buying a Apple watch during holidays is like buying a iPhone in July. Makes no sense.

4TheLoveOfGadgets

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
You are probably right about the saturation being near!
I was going to upgrade my 6 to the 6s and then I realized that the 6 is doing everything I want it to!
If the 6/plus wasn't such a great phone, you'd probably see even more growth.
We'll have to see what the 7 brings.

Do you think they'll ever get rid of the biggest bezels in the industry?

That HUGE Chin and Forehead are so 2007.

Don't even get started on the ridiculous antenna bands. Gaudy at best.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Exactly. It doesn't matter they won't grow forever. Next year they could drop, then they could be down further the year after, then back up...

As long as Apple are making plenty of profit, with a decent marketshare, etc (which they undoubtably are) we shouldn't care what shareholders think :)
Definitely. Capitalism these days seem to preach, "MORE, MORE, MORE, no matter what!" which is a flawed mentality. I'm not here to debate capitalism, but exponential growth forever is impossible. You have initial sales, then momentum, then exponential growth, then it starts to taper off and become more linear. But watch the shareholders go into a panic when Apple has its first "bad" quarter. Ludicrous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.