KGI: TrueDepth Camera Gives Apple 2.5 Year Lead Over Android Competitors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It will take Apple's Android competitors up to two and a half years to replicate the functionality and user experience of the TrueDepth Camera in the iPhone X, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told investors in a note shared this morning.

In a previous report, Kuo predicted it would take one to two years for competitors to catch up, but having watched Apple's official technical demonstrations in detail, it's now believed it will take longer to replicate the user experience.

[​IMG]

The TrueDepth camera will give Apple a solid technological lead throughout 2018 and 2019, leading Kuo to say KGI has "full confidence" in the iPhone's growth prospects in the high-end smartphone market over the next couple of years despite iPhone X constraints in 2017.

KGI Securities has revised its 2017 iPhone X shipping estimates from 40 million to 30 to 35 million units, but Kuo says the firm stands by its "positive outlook" on shipments of future iPhones equipped with the TrueDepth Camera.

Apple's TrueDepth camera system enables its Face ID facial recognition system and other features like advanced face tracking and analysis for Animoji. Rumors suggest the difficulty of manufacturing the TrueDepth camera is what has led to significant iPhone X production issues, severely limiting initial available supply.

Apple's competitors like Samsung and Google will also need to overcome these development and manufacturing hurdles to create a product that's similar to the TrueDepth Camera. Samsung has already released a device with facial recognition capabilities, but it is inferior to Apple's solution as it is limited to 2D tracking making it less secure and easy to fool.

Ming-Chi Kuo previously said that should Apple's TrueDepth camera prove to be popular with consumers, all of the company's future iPhones are likely to adopt the feature.

Article Link: KGI: TrueDepth Camera Gives Apple 2.5 Year Lead Over Android Competitors

2. syndalis macrumors regular

Apple is setting the stage for the next decade of what people expect from smartphones.

Much like the original iPhone launch, it took android years to catch up and make truly competitive products.

Same with Touch ID.

No surprise it is happening again.

3. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

I am wondering if Mr Kuo isn't paid by Apple..

4. skitidetdu macrumors regular

skitidetdu

Not possible for apple to patent this technology?

5. J.Wei macrumors newbie

and those fandroids said apple copied facial(photo) recognition from android 4.0 ??

6. izyreal macrumors member

This gives me some hope that FaceID is a worthy successor to TouchID.

7. lazard macrumors 65816

guess Android manufacturers will have to wait 2 yrs to implement animojis

8. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Just like 64 bit SOC, Fingerprint TouchID, and now this 3D facial razmataaz... Apple has done it again.

9. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

First with multi-touch (just getting it as smooth as the iPhone took a decade)

Then retina
    - Touch-ID
    - Secure enclaves that doesn’t expose the private key
    - 64 Bit
    - Swift/APFS
    - CPU design
    - GPU design
    - Camera and haptics(arguable)
    - AR
    - And now TrueDepth.

Apple is/was years ahead in all these categories. They have set a tremendous foundation.

10. VIPmediastar macrumors member

VIPmediastar

In the morning i am used to using fingerprint reader, passocode on an angle and far away from my face because the screen is too bright first thing in the morning. I wonder how this will be with iphone X. Must put phone to face, I hope you can close you eyes after half a second. Not trolling, just curious

11. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

This technology is in its infancy and it's capabilities will be the future as Apple said it will be. It just needs an adaption phase for those to transition from touch ID to face ID and allow it to see its true potential come November 3. And then you will have those who were doubting it, realize this technology is the next step forward in security.

12. blackberrycubed, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

blackberrycubed macrumors 6502

He is apple's lap dog , barks on cue ....

also used for damage control.

13. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

I never understood why Android fanboys were saying Apple copied this. Their recognition is inferior. I have hope for this. I'll miss TouchID for opening it without looking directly at it, but I'd rather not lose all the space at the bottom that is now screen.

14. VIPmediastar macrumors member

VIPmediastar

I'm all for the tech and the OS is great. However I would prefer they allowed us to make our phones more custom similar to android. Maybe a pen like the note series. I'm a gadget junkie and while I used iphone im now only using ipad pro and note 8 for a daily device. The ipad is strickly photo related for work.

15. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

IMHO most won't even bother 'copying' FaceID. Samsung has a sure thing with its Iris scanning, most other Android manufacturers will likely go with developing TouchID that is embedded in the screen. FaceID is also very likely a stopgap for Apple until they figure out screen-embedded Touch ID as the others are.

16. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

I’m a photo guy, and a casual gamer. So for me, Iphone is the perfect phone.

17. Danbrown521 macrumors regular

Looking forward to using this technology. I think under display technology will come out before android tries to copy FaceId

18. lazard macrumors 65816

true, if Apple was able to implement the sensor under the screen, FaceID doesn't exist. They'll scrap FaceID once they get it working.

19. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

20. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

The Note 8 can scan the iris of it's users and use that for recognition...

What exactly does Samsung need to take from Face ID? Maybe Kuo is talking about exact copies of Face ID (facial scanning using IR) but iris scanning is a real thing that works great on the Note 8

21. b11051973 macrumors regular

What do you do with your phone after it is unlocked? I mean, don't you have to look at the screen to do anything with it once unlocked?

I would think if you have all your background images dark, a lit screen wouldn't be that bright. I have one of Apple's standard backgrounds. It is black with like an orange fish. I break out my phone in the middle of the night all the time and have never been blinded.

22. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

I wonder where he gets his time stamps. I can say Samsung's Iris scanner gives it a infinite year lead over Apple especially since Apple will never use it. He really should not talk.

Did he call psychic reader Cleo???? RIP

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is why he's been so ridiculously wrong so many times in the past. :rolleyes:

24. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Usability of Iris scanner is inferior to Face ID.

25. travelsheep macrumors regular

travelsheep

Apple's really embracing emojis. This will make them 1 Trillion $ company.