Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kia today announced that the first 1,500 customers who purchase a 2022 EV6 First Edition are eligible for a free Apple Watch, EV charging credits, or an at-home EV charger.

kia-ev6.jpg

As highlighted by CNET, Kia is offering the free Apple Watch to help new EV6 owners access the Kia Connect services that are bundled with the vehicle.

The EV6 is Kia's first pure electric crossover SUV with a 77.4kWh battery, dual motor e-AWD, 513 horsepower, augmented reality heads up display, and more. The vehicle is able to charge up to 210 miles of range in 18 minutes with an appropriate charger, and it features 446lbs-ft of torque to reach 0-60 miles per hour in 5.2 seconds.

The Kia EV6 is able to pair with an Apple Watch using the Kia Connect app, allowing the watch to be used to remotely start or stop charging, see energy usage, check charging status, and more.

Notably, the EV6 is Kia's first vehicle built on the E-GMP architecture, and those who follow Apple Car rumors will know that Apple has considered using Kia's E-GMP platform for the Apple Car. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in February that Apple would partner with Hyundai and use the Kia E-GMP architecture, but since then, it has become less clear if Apple will end up working with Hyundai at all.

Reservations for the EV6 First Edition will open on June 3, with deliveries of the first vehicles set to begin in the United States in the first quarter of 2022.

Article Link: Kia Offers Free Apple Watch With EV6 Electric Car Purchase

• Haha
Reactions: rafark and DeepIn2U

swester

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I love the design of these, and the similarly-sized Hyundai Ioniq. Both Kia and Hyundai (and the Genesis offshoot) have jumped significantly in quality recent years. People comparing these to models made 10+ or even 5 years ago don't know how much the brands have evolved.

Still, it'd be a great car for a lease for a few years, but probably wouldn't purchase one given how quickly the EV landscape is evolving.

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
I like the looks of some of Hyundai’s and Kias vehicles, but once I realize it’s a Hyundai or Kia it’s essentially dead to me lol. What’s insane is both companies are much better quality than previous, but still not worth the money to me.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I like the looks of some of Hyundai’s and Kias vehicles, but once I realize it’s a Hyundai or Kia it’s essentially dead to me lol. What’s insane is both companies are much better quality than previous, but still not worth the money to me.
No doubt it’s been hard for those companies to shake their (previously well-deserved) reputations for poor quality, but as another poster said, they are quite different now. Both Kia and Hyundai now make very solid cars and often at better prices than their competitors with stronger brands.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It’s a nice car. The Apple Watch is a very nice bonus if you’re already going to purchase the car anyways.

Will this mean that we finally get Apple wallet support on something that is not a BMW?

w5jck

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2013
Ooh! A free Apple Watch! I wasn’t going to buy one before, but now…

Yeah, still not going to buy one.
LOL. Plus no car sale has freebies anyway. They might discount one accessory, but be assured they will overcharge for several other accessories!

Reactions: Premium1

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Sure include an at-home charger, but forget to mention that it could cost thousands of dollars to install...not everyone has a close box with available slots for breakers.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Looking forward to the gazillion recalls on this one. I'll never buy a Kia again, my wife and I have had nothing but issues on our 2013 Sportage and my 2016 Soul.
Kia has made huge progress with quality since 2014/2015. They are now among the most reliable car brands.

Incidentally what turned me to Kia was Honda. I’ve had two Hondas and had major, recurrent issues with them. After reading consumer reports and other reviews, it was Toyota or Kia/Hyundai. Toyota (have one that’s been flawless over the past 7 years) didn’t make the type of vehicle I was looking for so it was a Kia.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2012
No doubt it’s been hard for those companies to shake their (previously well-deserved) reputations for poor quality, but as another poster said, they are quite different now. Both Kia and Hyundai now make very solid cars and often at better prices than their competitors with stronger brands.
The poor quality days were 15 years ago. Since then IIRC both Hyundai and Kia have occasionally been at the peak of the quality ratings.

I should note that I’m not particularly a fan of Hyundai but I respect their design. My sister after decent satisfaction with a Pony (I think it was called, perhaps Excel, a 5 door little box with a Mitsubishi engine or components) in the 80’s and several Detroit vehicles since, has had several Hyundai SUV’s as has her husband.

Last edited:

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
not really , still have engine fires in them. dangerous garbage.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2012
When inventories are tight due to the chip shortage curtailing everybody’s production any OEM that has to entice buyers with a watch, etc, must have a poor sales issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.