Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknown mr T

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
while september 12th is getting closer and closer (exact one month from today) I am really curious to see what the new killer feature is going to be with this new iPhone. Every launch of a new iPhone there are those features which are only available for the latest gen phone. I am still hoping for another feature nobody has ever seen before, think Siri last year and the retina display with the iPhone 4. What so you guys think/hope it is going to be? I am still hoping for a tactile screen. rumors really started to flow just before the announcement of "the new" iPad (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57392227-17/will-the-ipad-3s-display-let-you-feel-whats-on-screen/). When I am more realistic I think the main feature is going to be NFC that actually works and makes it mainstream. Please share your hopes and ideas! ;)

party

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Hong Kong
NFC and LTE are already features that are (possibly) exclusive to the new iPhone. I do understand though - Facetime and Siri were software exclusives.

I think the NFC will have something to do with Passbook. Maybe some exclusive (and very good) NFC features for Passbook?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Forget about tactile displays. We won't see anything like that for 2 or 3 more years. I don't think the iPhone will have any "new killer feature we've never seen before". It'll have LTE, possibly NFC (which will be awesome, hopefully), better camera(s), and iOS 6.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Forget about tactile displays. We won't see anything like that for 2 or 3 more years. I don't think the iPhone will have any "new killer feature we've never seen before". It'll have LTE, possibly NFC (which will be awesome, hopefully), better camera(s), and iOS 6.

Maybe for other phones , apple usually a few years ahead when they tried. It's possible for apple to have it on the 5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
just to mimic what others said, I don't think there will necessarily be software exclusive features but more so hardware. NFC and LTE are the reasons people will upgrade and the features apple will push

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I think it will be something concerning Passbook. That app has massive potential. Depending on how they integrate it into other apps on the phone, iCloud, GPS and NFC, this could be a staple feature that people use daily.

The fact that they have it locked out of beta at the moment (through all 4 now) so people can't get into much of the code is also odd and I think telling.

If integrated right, it could be groundbreaking, but I'm not holding my breath expecting too much more than what was demoed. We'll see...

Edit: I would LOVE tactile screens, but I think we are 2 years away from this. Apple will want to control the key technology and do it their own way, which will probably take 2 years and then have to make it past curation of Tim and others. They don't want it to be a gimmick, so unless it could be a pillar of iOS, I don't think they will chance it. They only have $200 to play with of people's money (minus subsidization), they have to be strict with it.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I suspect the killer feature of the new iPhone will be that it does everything the old one does, but better. That would hardly be a failure, although I do wonder whether the new design would appeal to me personally.

unknown mr T

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
another I would like to see is wireless charging... Again, the technology is there (just like NFC) but it is not mainstream ;)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The camera will remain the same
Lte
NFC
Bigger screen
Processor

That's more than the jump from 4 - 4s

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
The next feature will make your phone turn into A space rover so it could fly to Jupiter.

So many threads like this so I have to laugh and make fun of it sorry.

unknown mr T

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
haha, well I must say, I kind of like these lead to gold/hovercraft jokes ;) No need to apologise :p

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
This years blockbuster new killer feature will be the .5" taller screen & ability to add another row of icons. (neither feature available on any previous iPhone).

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
This years blockbuster new killer feature will be the .5" taller screen & ability to add another row of icons. (neither feature available on any previous iPhone).

Pretty much this. There is nothing new or innovative to be expected. All the tech and software Apple has shown or leaked thus far is already out and been in use for a while.
Still don't know if we will see nfc on this phone. If the entire back is metal, it ain't gonna happen. A small portion where the chip goes, needs to be non-metallic. LTE is a given, but considering no bump in battery capacity, prepare for disappointment on battery life. Given the size of the phone, better and less battery Hungary cpu, maybe 3-4 hours with 4g/LTE on.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
1) Power to REALLY double down on secrecy.
2) Summoning Steve Jobs
3) Ability to turn itself into a Bat Mobile so I can save Gotham in the dark of night.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Maybe for other phones , apple usually a few years behind when they tried. It's super highly unlikely for apple to have it on the 5.

Fixed that for u. Not bashing, just telling the truth.

----------

Pretty much this. There is nothing new or innovative to be expected. All the tech and software Apple has shown or leaked thus far is already out and been in use for a while.
Still don't know if we will see nfc on this phone. If the entire back is metal, it ain't gonna happen. A small portion where the chip goes, needs to be non-metallic. LTE is a given, but considering no bump in battery capacity, prepare for disappointment on battery life. Given the size of the phone, better and less battery Hungary cpu, maybe 3-4 hours with 4g/LTE on.

I agree with u on everything except the disappointment on battery life. I think this was one of apples main focus points. I don't think it'll be a let down. Don't know how they'll achieve it, but I think it'll be on par with the 4S.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Fixed that for u. Not bashing, just telling the truth.

----------

I agree with u on everything except the disappointment on battery life. I think this was one of apples main focus points. I don't think it'll be a let down. Don't know how they'll achieve it, but I think it'll be on par with the 4S.

Maybe on 3g? Ain't gonna happen with 4g/LTE on. You are going to see a ton of posts on here about terrible battery life within a day of release. Just watch. :D with my S3, I can get 3.5 to 4 hours of actual onscreen time. This is used to the max straight through. You won't see that with the iphone on a tiny little battery, especially if they are using the IPS display still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.