MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Amazon's forthcoming Kindle Fire tablet staking out a new position at the bargain end of the tablet market with its $199 price tag, some have wondered how significantly the device will eat into Apple's potential iPad sales.

A new survey from RBC Capital Markets and ChangeWave Research now puts some numbers to that impact, revealing that 26% of those surveyed customers who have either already pre-ordered a Kindle Fire or are "very likely" to purchase one have either delayed or put on indefinite hold previously-planned iPad purchases.

kindle_fire_impact_rbc.jpg

The survey also reveals relatively strong overall interest in the Kindle Fire, with 5% of survey respondents registering as either having already pre-ordered or being very likely to purchase the device. That compares with 4% of respondents who had indicated similar intent for the original iPad back in February 2010. The tablet market is of course at very different level of maturity now, however, given that Apple's iPad has sparked consumer interest in the form factor.

For its part, Apple has reportedly indicated that it welcomes the arrival of the Kindle Fire, suggesting that yet another Android-based tablet entrant heavily customized to integrate with Amazon's services will further fragment that platform and drive more customers toward the stability of Apple's iOS.

Article Link: Kindle Fire Seen Slowing Some Previously-Planned iPad Purchases

Fazzy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
check the tracking device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No matter how much better the iPad is than other tablets, competition is healthy for any Market sector

Comment

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
And I have a feeling those that are buying a Fire were never going to buy an iPad in the first place.

Comment

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Interesting numbers, you get what you pay for though! I can't justify the Fire as being something I can depend on for a tablet. Too small of a screen for my note-taking needs ;)

Comment

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I don't see why the media keeps comparing the Fire to the iPad. They're very different items that do different things. I own an iPad and I'm going to purchase a Fire because they are different.

Comment

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think it just illustrates that when given a viable option - one where there's a good competing ecosystem - people can make a choice.

As I've maintained - while I love my iPad - many people don't want to shell out 499+ when all they really want is a media consumption device and some email/web surfing. Yes - UI is great on the iPad - but not everyone wants to spend the extra money when (now) there's a choice and one backed by an ecosystem of books, music, video and apps.

I see these stats as obvious. I think the Kindle Fire sells well to those who had no plans on buying an iPad but also those that had no viable choice before Amazon entered the game.

The Nook tablet has better specs - but I still think that they won't do as well as the Fire because B&N doesn't have the same ecosystem.

Comment

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The products are so very different I don't get how they really can be compared in the same breath. Someone saying they are holding off on getting an iPad because they are going to instead get a Fire is like someone saying they are going to hold off on getting a new SUV because Honda just came out with a new crotch rocket.

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
What was the N of the survey? If there were only 100 people (per usual with these "surveys") then the whole thing is useless.

Comment

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
That is not a valid conclusion IMO. Say the numbers are 1M purchasers of the Fire. 26% means 260K might not still buy the iPad. What is 260K compared to the 5-10M range? <5%

But 26% seems much more impressive in the news. What kind of headline would be "1% of iPad buyers postponed to maybe buy the Fire"?

Comment

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I was considering getting an ipad (a second in our house) for our kids to share.

But I'm now ordering a pair of kindle fires. The price point, for something used by my kids - and perhaps occasionally taken to school and what not - was the key factor.

I've also been disappointed that one ipod can't be easily hooked up to multiple icloud accounts for easily sharing the device with multiple contacts, multiple e-e-mails, etc...

Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't see why the media keeps comparing the Fire to the iPad. They're very different items that do different things. I own an iPad and I'm going to purchase a Fire because they are different.

The products are so very different I don't get how they really can be compared in the same breath. Someone saying they are holding off on getting an iPad because they are going to instead get a Fire is like someone saying they are going to hold off on getting a new SUV because Honda just came out with a new crotch rocket.

Just because the iPad can do more than the Amazon Fire doesn't mean they don't compete in the same market. I suspect that many tablet users (and potential buyers) will utilize only a small core of functionality. I opine that the core functionality of a tablet is web-surfing, email, facebook, ebooks, games/apps, and movies/tv shows.

Both the iPad and Fire hit on these core features. This is why the tech-media is pitting the two against each other. Plus, it makes for an interesting story and brings eyeballs to tech websites.

ft

Comment

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I plan on getting several. The Fire is a great device for disposable applications or for things that would just cost too much on an iPad. I can picture school systems saving money by having one per student to replace textbooks.

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
How many respondents to this survey?

I love these poll surveys. I'm never asked and in my like minded circles, it seems that the numbers of these polls always leave me in doubt, because no one I know thinks that way!

But still how many respondents?
/
/
/

Comment

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I was considering getting an ipad (a second in our house) for our kids to share.

But I'm now ordering a pair of kindle fires.

Personally for a cheap kids device I'd get an iPod touch. More app options and it's cheaper too.

Comment

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
At $199 I don't see this as eating into iPad sales as much as being an easier to justify impulse buy or perfect Christmas gift for a teen and will just grow the segment.

I do think it will put pressure on Apple to develop a miniPad very soon probably within nine months, although they don't like non existent profits from a hardware device so $199.00 is probably out of reach.

Comment

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
How many respondents to this survey?

I love these poll surveys. I'm never asked and in my like minded circles, it seems that the numbers of these polls always leave me in doubt, because no one I know thinks that way!

But still how many respondents?
/
/
/
Already asked and answered earlier in the discussion: 2600.

At $199 I don't see this as eating into iPad sales as much as being an easier to justify impulse buy or perfect Christmas gift for a teen and will just grow the segment.
That's pretty much exactly why I'm getting one. My brother is getting me one for my birthday. $200 is kind of stretching his birthday gift budget as it is, but $500 is waaay out of range. (He doesn't like me THAT much.)

And I can't afford an iPad for myself, so I'm pretty happy to get one. The only thing I'm curious/nervous about is how many apps will be available for it. The Amazon Appstore or whatever it's called it pretty pathetic right now. But the Fire isn't even out yet, either.

Last edited:
Comment

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I am an Apple fan and love their ecosystem. I do not have an iPad yet, but do have a desire for one. The Kindle Fire definitely threw a curveball into my purchasing plan.

I do like the idea of all my devices sync'ing and sharing information, and I do have a ton of apps that are universal to the iPhone/iPad. But the price of the Kindle Fire is just too good not to consider. I want to get one in hand to see how the quality is, how the UI and app store is. I've really never used Android outside of using some friends phones once in a while. I see myself using a tablet more for reading, checking email, Netflix, and games. I think the Kindle Fire can easily handle those needs.

Comment

jeff33702

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
So let me get this straight... They asked people who were already planning to buy or already pre-ordered a Kindle Fire if they were going to delay purchasing an iPad??? And then only 26% of the ones that already pre-ordered said yes?

Laughable. (I should clarify that it's the survey that I find laughable. As everyone is pointing out, it's a little vague. I'm curious about the KF myself and how it will effect the market.)

Last edited:
Comment

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
What was the N of the survey? If there were only 100 people (per usual with these "surveys") then the whole thing is useless.

By theories in statistics, you only need N=30 to get an accurate* depiction of the entire population.

But, I think it is equally important to know who they surveyed.

Comment

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I think this shows that ye,s people want a choice. Price point plays a big part of that. But i think the bigger story is why the Fire and not some, more capable Android tablet? I believe its because Amazon has a complete eco-system like the iPad. This is teh real choice people are making.

The iPad and the Fire are not competing on specs or the ability to do more stuff. If that was the case, then the iPad would, theoretically, be selling very poorly against android tabs. (yes, i know that the Fire runs on a modified Android os but i don't think google gets any ad revenues from it because of the Silk browser... may be wrong.)

But people seem to not care about specs. These stats seem to show that what people care about is price-point first, then the availability of an extensive eco-system that can be accessed by the tablet. Android just doesn't have anything that compares.

Comment

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Survey's regarding "planned purchases" or "considering buying X product" are notoriously unreliable. I remember well reading a survey that indicated that nearly 40% of males aged 17-24 were planning on buying a 3D-enabled TV set sometime in the upcoming 12 months. (Where those guys were going to come up with the money was never explained.) And needless to say the real world results completely refuted the "survey." Only a handful of wealthy (and/or stupid) young dudes actually ended up with a 3D TV set.

Obviously the entrance of the Kindle Fire, and the new Nook, are going to give at least some people another product to think about.

Will these low-cost tablets seriously slow the growth of iPad sales? In the aggregate - probably not. As people get used to seeing tablets "in the wild" it will simply increase awareness of the category, and create more of an imperative for "fence sitters" to get in the game. And when they do, I think most of them are going to want the iPad - even at a higher cost - than the Fire or the Nook.

Comment

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
Wait until people get it in their hands. I had one on pre-order too but canceled after remembering it is going to be closer to a Color Nook than iPad.

The price point and surfing is what caused me to forget this. I will wait to see if it can actually surf the Internet as fast as iPad. Also have a feeling 7" screen would ultimately suck. It is half the size of iPad screen. Its landscape mode would be the same as iPad in portrait mode only half the height.

I do think I really only need iPad for surfing, email and reading so I think the device category is destined to drop in price. At least until it can comfortably replace a laptop.

Comment

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
I hate when people say Kindle Fire doesn't compete with iPad. The fact is they indeed directly compete with each other.

Let's see, both do
Email
Web
Books
Music
Apps
Magazines

Not understanding how it's not a competitor product. Someone please explain!!

Comment

realmike15

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Apple makes beautiful products. But Amazon is filling a segment of the market that can't afford or don't want to spend that much on a tablet. If Amazon can get the content distribution right (which they already do quite well), it will be a great alternative for that market.

When and if I get a tablet, the iPad will be my device of choice. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I weigh things like Build Quality and Sleek Design very highly when purchasing products. For people who don't mind Plastic instead of Glass/Metal or sleek Design... the Fire will hopefully be an excellent alternative. Not to mention, hopefully drive the cost of the iPad down by $100 or so.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.