Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This is unfortunate. I didn't really follow the NBA during his career but I know he was legendary. I was surprised when I saw this, these accidents take people way too early. May him and everyone else on board rest in peace.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Watched this on Sunday Morning a couple of months ago, so interesting he created a "content studio", was getting into publishing, writing, etc.

Reactions: jkcerda

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t consider myself to be a very emotional person, and I’ve witness/observed quite a few tragedies working as an L.E officer over the years with deaths/fatals, horrific crashes, you name it, and I typically am never phased...

But this announcement....literally left me stunned for like 5 minutes where I couldn’t process what I just heard.

I found out that he passed away in the helicopter crash, and it almost brought tears to my eyes, as I grew up idling him (I watched his very last game where he scored 60 PTs), and I loved basketball as my main sport when I was in high school. I think anyone who wasn’t even a basketball fan, appreciated Kobe Bryant for his talent and what he stood for in terms of being The best you can be.

Aside from his passing, I feel for his wife Vanessa, as they also lost his daughter on board the helicopter as well. I just can’t imagine her world is completely flipped upside down on another level.

The All-Star weekend is coming in two weeks, and I’m sure there will be a tribute to Kobe and his family.

The ‘Black Mamba’ Will never be forgotten and his achievements as a person in and outside the NBA.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don’t consider myself to be a very emotional person, and I’ve witness/observed quite a few tragedies working as an L.E officer over the years with deaths/fatals, horrific crashes, you name it, and I typically am never phased just being so ‘immune’ to tragedies...

But this announcement....literally left me stunned for like 5 minutes where I couldn’t process what I just heard.

I found out that he passed away in the helicopter crash, and it’s almost brought tears to my eyes, as I grew up idling him (I watched his very last game where he scored 60 PTs), and I loved basketball as my main sport when I was in high school. I think anyone who wasn’t even a basketball fan, appreciated Kobe Bryant for his talent and what he stood for in terms of being The best you can be.

Aside from his passing, I feel for his wife Vanessa, as they also lost his daughter on board the helicopter as well. I just can’t imagine her world is completely flipped upside down on another level.

The All-Star weekend is coming in two weeks, and I’m sure they’ll be a tribute to Kobe and his family.

The ‘Black Mamba’ Will never be forgotten and his achievements as a person in and outside the NBA.
Grammys are at Staples tonight as well.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This is very very sad news.

Yesterday, LeBron James passed Kobe's all-time point total to become #3 all-time NBA scorer. Kobe's tweeted to congratulate LeBron. That might have been his last message to anyone else.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Very sad and tragic day.

I grew up in the "Jordan Era" (MJ was my ultimate role model as far as basketball goes) but I have a ton of respect for Kobe as a person and basketball player.

It is even worse that now his wife Vanessa has to bury her husband, and one of her daughters!

Truly a heartbreaking day, Godspeed to the Bryant family!

:apple:

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I Just can’t imagine being in that helicopter as it was spiraling down, what was he thinking the last time probably looking at his daughters face (She was 13) or what his final words would he would have said knowingly that he would not survive the crash.

This has been a poor start to the 2020 year for the NBA, David Stern the [Previous commissioner] passing about two weeks back, and now Kobe Bryant with this fatal accident.

The media is actually reporting nine total occupants were on board. Not that this is a priority, I’m curious to to know what caused the crash, which the NTSB will probably release the details once the investigation has been concluded.

Reactions: jkcerda

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Watched this on Sunday Morning a couple of months ago, so interesting he created a "content studio", was getting into publishing, writing, etc.

It felt like he was just getting started. Earning an Academy award seemed like the first step.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
So sad ? I am a Celtics fan and always rooted against him, but a life lost is always tragic. Prayers for his family.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
TMZ is reporting that his 13 year old daughter was onboard.
Kobe's daughter Gianna Maria Onore -- aka GiGi -- was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash ... reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.

Absolutely heart breaking :(

This is just getting more tragic by the hour.

Condolences to his family, cannot imagine what his wife and remaking daughters are going through, absolutely awful

JHBrown

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Southern California
He’s the player that kept me interested in the NBA after Michael Jordan retired. As a father, I hate learning of his daughter’s death as well. May all families involved find some sort of peace during this trying time.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
Man this is completely heartbreaking. I wasn't a Lakers Fan but Kobe is the MJ to my generation. Living in both LA and Boston, I saw the Love and Hate for him. You Hated him but respected him at the same time. The way he carried himself in and out of the basketball court was just completely different. He was a go getter! Always trying to put his team in the position to win. When reports came out that his daughter was with him, the heartbreak got bigger. All afternoon i kept thinking of those last seconds in that helicopter. The looks that him and Gigi had to share, the last words that they said to each other. It makes me shiver just thinking of that. RIP Kobe & Gigi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.