Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Creative One, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Interesting how it picked up and dominated my twitter/facebook in about 5 minutes.

3. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Same here. Did you guys watch the video too?

4. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

It was an excellent video. Very well put together with a strong message.

My only distraction was that I've been working on a video all night and I kept noticing all the editing details he put into the movie. I kept watching it thought... that probably took him a while to edit.

It's nice to see a good message go viral like that. Often on twitter there is a lot of useless trending topics like RIP<insert famous name>.

5. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

The video has hit over a million views in less than a day. I've never seen this before... Facebook is still going off the hook for me.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Pretty amazing how a well constructed video can go viral with the younger population in so little time. What scares me is I can see it happening no matter what the message is.

7. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

I don't know if I looked at it wrong the first time, but it now has 2.3 million views :/

8. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

9. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I understand the video and I did watch it all. I am grateful to be where I am and not have to live in such an environment.

With that being said...this video is total propaganda. Josh Blahyi killed over 20k people, why isn't he being hunted down or mentioned?

10. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I think it's a great video. I saw it early this morning. I think it only had like 1.6 million views at the time. I wish, one day, I can make an impact on the world like this guy is. It's always been a dream of mine to make a difference.

11. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

Holy crap, 9 million views. This has got to be the most viral video yet... This thing was posted yesterday.

12. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

The fact they're using the press to sell $30 "action kits" and t-shirts and other junk, bothers me. What's really going on here

13. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

The fact that a non profit takes a lot of money to run, along with any business. Almost every non profit sells some sort of merchandise to go along with the cause. Look at Toms, Krochet Kids, Blood Water Mission, and many more (I name these because I have supported each). If you want to play devils advocate, take a look at http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/.

14. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Good to know. I had no clue how these non profits work.

The con arguments on that poli-sci student's page are pretty weak. This link is a pretty strong con argument though. What do you think?

A second, similar con argument

15. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Eh, the one I linked at least had some statistics. The one you posted was well written. I would agree that American youth are easily persuaded by slick video editing (ex. Why I Love Jesus But Hate Religion) but I still don't see a problem helping those less fortunate. Those in Uganda are less fortunate. I have supported 3 non profits (2 directly tied with Uganda) so far and hope I can continue.

I've wanted to start a non profit helping people in Nashville (my hometown) for years now, just can't do it yet.

16. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I was impressed with this...until a few minutes ago I read somewhere that they only donate some ~33% of their profits? :rolleyes: Not sure if that's true or not.

17. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Looks like InvisibleChildren responded to the criticism.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

I think it pretty much answers the concerns raised.

18. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Thanks for the link

I still don't like how they misrepresent the current situation but as an organization I think they're legit

19. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Kony and his group was labeled as terrorist group back in 01. The ICC gave out an arrest warrant for him back in 05/6. He has been using child soldiers for 25 years. And only now this issue is being brought up?

And what did a majority do when they found out? We throw our cash into some organization, buy "aware" bracelets and posters of children with 2deep4u slogans. And most of the time, we are doing this just to feel better for ourselves. I bet most of the people donating to Invisible Children right now are doing it to be hip, then they come back home, not giving a flying ******* what is actually going on while sipping their latte.

Also, killing/capturing Kony won't solve all the problems in Uganda, and I bet that when he is killed or captured, no one will give a rats ass about this anymore.

20. kolax macrumors G3

From the BBC:

"However, Invisible Children was accused of spending most of its raised funds on salaries, travel expenses and film-making.

Bloggers also pointed out that NGO watchdog Charity Navigator had given the group only two out of four stars for financial accountability."

Either way, I think the viral campaign is good as it gets news coverage, thus causing the likes of the US government being pressured into doing more.

I just worry that Kony might retaliate with genocide..

21. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Im sure it wont solve problems in Uganda. If you noticed, the list of people they showed on the video, the number 2 guy was from Uganda as well. There's no telling how many others on that list are from that area. It wont solve the problems completely but it will help.

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Kony and the LRA supposedly left Uganda 6 years ago so this has nothing to do with helping Uganda. Per the links I posted, the biggest problem for children in Uganda right now is probably some neurological disease, not getting kidnapped

Money donated is pretty much going to fund the non-profit or toward a manhunt to bring in/kill a guy for past crimes committed. Because of that, a lot of people think the video is anachronistically misleading and are upset.

23. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

It may not be in Uganda anymore but this cause is still for the manhunt and capture of Kony. He is still doing what he is doing, just in another area.

My dad thinks it is politically driven.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, while I agree that Kony should be taken out, I do not understand how a bunch of Americans think that way.

1) You want to do anything you can to take him out
    2) You want to complain about all this national debt starting from the military expenses...?

I don't understand..

25. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Apparently people forgot about the RUF and all that madness years ago. Or even Al Shabab.

Focusing on one doesn't fix much in a continent that needs a total paradigm shift.