Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
I'm holding out for Apple's iLick ID technology. Lick your iPhone's screen and it'll do an immediate DNA analysis of your saliva.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I much prefer they ditch the Face ID altogether.
Face ID was great in 2017,when under display touch ID technology wasn't available.
now it's available, and it's superior and much more ergonomic and convenient.
Actually not. When I’m on my desk looking at the phone displays the notification. Without Face ID I would have to touch the phone.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Apple will launch an iPhone equipped with both Face ID and an on-display fingerprint sensor in 2021, according to a new investor note by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and obtained by MacRumors.

source.gif

Reactions: Classie

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Just a matter of time before Apple re-adopts fingerprint. If Apple wants good security, fingerprint offers it through continuous biometrics authentication. Every time you interact, you're being authenticated. This isn't possible with Face ID - not from a power perspective.

This isn't your grandpa's fingerprint tech. Today, ultrasonic fingerprint sensors can read the capillaries under the finger. The old myth about 1:50,000 odds no longer applies. Reading capillaries also means additional health features.
Grandpa likes it though.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He doesn’t know he’s guessing. And throwing out 2021 gives him lots of time to change his mind.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Using both FaceID & TouchID is a bit over the top, imo. Besides, it will bring the iPhone prices up due to the additional cost of extra components and Apple’s “innovation tax”.

If they manage to implement advanced full-screen Touch ID, they might as well drop the FaceID and its accompanying notch.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
There are people who don’t care about 5g who will upgrade from older models. As 5g won’t be in the footprint of many for years and then the plan will surcharge;
5G in loads of cities here in the UK (which surprised me) including ones I visit, also no extra charge on 3 and Vodafone, O2, although EE will have to fight that by dropping their price to compete possibly. So yep I'm interested in 5G next year, hardly use my camera apart from Pet pics and pics of my friends when we are out so not bothered to spend £1150 plus £199 for Applecare again this year for a third lens really. Also I would love fingerprint ID of some kind to come back, as an extra to FaceID which can be a real pain in direct sunlight or certain artificial lighting conditions.

I have a new 256GB iPhone XS (built in June 2019 going by the serial number) because my original September 2018 model died of ambient light sensor failure, and the replacement iPhone had way to many issues sadly but Apple really went the extra mile for me on sorting that out.

I'll still have Applecare till September 2020 so that's when I'll probably upgrade but it still may be 2021. Never buy revision one of a new design has served me well over the years, so I may leave it that extra year as long as the XS still works. Only time will tell.

Johnny London

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
why? faceID is far better
Both touchID and faceID combined makes sense imho as this implies two layers of security. Ever gave your friends your iPhone on your house party so they can add music to the queue on spotify etc? touchID could become the first layer of security for family/ friends, with faceID in place to protect your more sensitive data, mail, notes, appleID etc.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Perhaps. However, really, there isn't anything exciting about the 2019 iPhones based on what we know. An improved camera?

What was exciting about the iPhone XS to you? What was exciting about the 6S to you? What was exciting about the 8?

Not every upgrade has a million new features and not every new feature leaks.

How about we all just wait for the reveal before passing judgment and how about we REMEMBER that not every iPhone has crazy new features that blow the last 1 away....

Reactions: Wide opeN

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
iPhone 2020 is looking like a snooze fest. Real iPhone fans will wait for 2021! (Until next week when the 2022 iPhone is revealed to have no notch)

Reactions: Wide opeN

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Actually not. When I’m on my desk looking at the phone displays the notification. Without Face ID I would have to touch the phone.

My gosh, what an inconvenience to actually have to touch your phone.

Using both FaceID & TouchID is a bit over the top, imo. Besides, it will bring the iPhone prices up due to the additional cost of extra components and Apple’s “innovation tax”.

If they manage to implement advanced full-screen Touch ID, they might as well drop the FaceID and its accompanying notch.

I have friends and family members who refuse to use Face ID for various reasons, which means they have to go back to using a 4 or 6 digit passcode for security. That's just dumb- what is this, 2008? Ditching Touch ID is the perfect example of chasing form over function because people had to have slightly less bezel, which really only affected the head and chin of the phone, and gave us the notch instead.

MY_USERNAME

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2017
I wonder if they would consider leveraging both methods.
- unlock phone: passcode, Face ID or fingerprint
- login into bank account: faceID and fingerprint required.

Reactions: Eagle1337

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't see the point in this, Face ID is much better than Touch ID, unlocking my iPhone X with just a glance is much better. When the iPhone X first came out and mine landed on my doorstep, I was amazed at how accurate and easy it was to use Face ID. Personally I wouldn't go back to Touch ID.

Somesayimhandsome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2017
Kuo is wrong on this one.

1. It will be Touch-ID instead of FaceID not both, because the whole point of in-screen Touch-ID is that you lose the bezels.
2. It will be 2020, it's ******** that the tech is 12-18 months away when the tech is already here and being used in flagship android phones, it just can use a little bit of improving to get to the point where it's again as good as Touch-ID was in terms of speed and reliability. But that's very much doable for 2020.

And kill off those Animoji’s nahhhhh

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Ehh - whenever they get around to integrating this, I'm betting it'll be just another excuse to hike prices. While I find TouchID infinitely more convenient than just punching in my passcode, I'm not sure it's worth paying a premium for.

pipis2010

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2015
Greece
while i like Face ID for unlocking and banking apps etc. Touch ID is far superior and easier for Apple Pay while Face ID can be a pain in the arse

I never understood all the people who say that Touch ID is better - have you ever tried to use touch id with wet hands or sweaty fingers? What's soooooooooo better about it, than Face ID?

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I never understood all the people who say that Touch ID is better - have you ever tried to use touch id with wet hands or sweaty fingers? What's soooooooooo better about it, than Face ID?

I unlock my iPhone 8 at the gym just fine and use Apple Pay way more often than attempting to unlock my phone with wet hands. Do you live in Waterworld?

TouchID is just easier for certain use cases and doesn't require additional gestures or side button pressing.

Definitely got my vote in for the return of Touch ID. In fact, as much as some prefer Face ID over it, I suspect their sales have lagged not only because of exorbitant pricing, but also dislike of the Face ID technology.

Our entire office has migrated to XR as our work phone, and I can assure you, a LOT of people ain't happy about the size and Face ID.

Last edited:

Uobio

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2016
Spain
Highly unlikely. How they ditch a technology for two years and then re adopt it? Don’t think so imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.