Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may include an under the screen Touch ID sensor for some models of the 2022 iPhones, according to credible Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

under-display-touch-id.jpg

In an investor note today obtained by MacRumors, Kuo says that Apple plans to have four models in the 2022 iPhone lineup. Kuo had previously stated that the iPhone 13, destined for this year, will be the last iPhone lineup to feature a 5.4-inch “mini” size. Kuo reaffirmed his belief today, stating that the 2022 iPhones will only feature a 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch size, with two models of each size.

The low-end 6.7-inch iPhone may cost less than $900 but could lack certain features such as an under the screen Touch ID sensor to compensate for costs. The current largest 6.7-inch iPhone, the iPhone 12 Pro Max, begins at $1,099.

Providing some details about the camera improvements coming to the 2022 iPhones, Kuo says the high-end 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch iPhones will feature an improved wide-angle camera with 48 megapixels.

In the same note, Kuo reiterated that in the first half of next year, Apple is still planning to launch an updated iPhone SE that will be the “cheapest 5G iPhone ever.” The update to the iPhone SE will feature a similar design as the current model, with improved performance.

Article Link: Kuo: 2022 iPhones May Feature Under-Screen Touch ID

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: daz369

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
The fingerprint unlock on teh back of my Pixel 3 XL also allowed me to scroll pages and menus, I really liked that and it felt natural to do it, whilst holding the device and it was great not having to obstruct my view of the screen whilst scrolling.

It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing option for people to have it on the back, but couple it with faceID (so you don't have to lift it up if it is sat on a table etc..) and you have yourself a very useable device.

If they can do it with the power button, all the better. One thing is for sure, the under screen option is a poor option, doubly so if you use a screen protector. I have it on my S10 and am not a fan.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Lol low end "at the low cost of $900" for that price it should not be lacking any of the so-called "pro" features but just like with the ipad that is just one way to jack up the price and increase their profit margins.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Why would Apple will have a notch and screen fingerprint together?

Apple may introduce finger screen print along with a side button for Touch ID like the iPad Air.
I hung on to Touch ID for a while, preferring it to Face ID. Then Face ID won me over for things like auto-filling passwords without having to do anything other than look at the display I was already looking at anyway. Then COVID happened and I again longed for Touch ID. Clearly a phone with both would be amazing.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I hung on to Touch ID for a while, preferring it to Face ID. Then Face ID won me over for things like auto-filling passwords without having to do anything other than look at the display I was already looking at anyway. Then COVID happened and I again longed for Touch ID. Clearly a phone with both would be amazing.
Agreed. I’ve always said both have their strengths and weaknesses. A phone with both, which you could use either in the alternative or in combination for extra security, would be terrific.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
A big update for 2022. 6.7" non Pro iPhone at a cheaper price is excellent. Looking forward to TouchID coming back. I believe the non Pro 6.7" will sell in huge numbers.
Yeah, I'm sure people will love it. It will akin to the 6 Plus days. Larger screen and better battery life than the regular iPhone, but cheaper than the Pro max model, sounds too good to be true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.