Kuo Again Predicts No 3D Touch for 2018 6.1-Inch LCD iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TaviDuprix macrumors member

TaviDuprix

Someone get this thread some Pepto. Lots of belly aching. Yes, 3D touch is underutilized but that does not make it crap. As for face ID, it did accomplish removing the home button which was a great thing. Yes, it could be improved (see wide angle / portrait mode recognition) but even if they abandon it for a screen-based fingerprint sensor it served its purpose for the time being. And as far as the phone jack, I can't believe anyone is still clamoring for that.

The one area I would agree with is finding space for a bigger battery. You can never have too much battery life. Speaking of, anyone have any interesting articles regarding battery technology that will replace lithium-based in the future? Seems that with everyone jumping on the electric car production movement that cell phone batteries are going to get more expensive if there is not an alternative.

2. machumors90 macrumors member

machumors90

Sounds like a waste of money with two perfectly new phones...

3. apolloa macrumors G4

So you’ll be able to buy the Plus model 7 and 8 it’s 3D a touch for the same price, but not the new 6.1”.. yeah that makes sense..

I don’t believe him in this one. For me I find Apples calendar so laughably useless, I find 3D Touch the only reasonable way to actually add an entry into it!

4. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

My iphone is light and thin enough. Now make it last 3 days without charging.

5. GPDawes macrumors member

GPDawes

6. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

How does 3D touch consume battery?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    Pencil support for the cheapest iPhone of the lineup? Negative.

Pencil support will never happen with an iPhone. Who's gonna carry that pencil around just to use with their mobile phone? Not many

7. Tech198 macrumors G5

The solution should be, "keep working at it" and not "It's too difficult. i give-up" approach. Instead, Apple would rather pull other areas instead of focusing on what they really want a phone to do..

The result can only be described as "a spider web of technologies.

8. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

I use 3D Touch every day.

I have many apps on my iPhone, but they are kept in folders. When I get a badge that says I have a total of 9 notifications in my social media folder, I can 3D Touch it to see that 3 are for Line, 5 from Facebook, and 1 from Discord. I can then go directly to the app of interest. When I long press, it means I want to manipulate the folder itself.

3D Touch adds an extra dimension to the possible gestures possible on my iPhone.

9. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

Due to cost constraints, and a lack of innovation.

10. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

Kuo says, "Touch your heads." Kuo says, "The earth is flat." And you all follow like blind sheep believing the sky is falling in.

11. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Ming-Chi Kuo knows more then CEO Tim Cook about Apple's future products! And he is 10% more accurate then Tim Cook too! Tim Cook just keeps on trying to call Kuo to find out what is happening in Apple's specific products like 2018 iPhone 6.1 LCD. Kuo just publish it for everyone to read including Tim Cook!

12. NamE_O macrumors member

NamE_O

IMO, this kind of feature fragmentation is only making it more difficult for 3D Touch to become mainstream.

It was first introduced with the iPhone 6s about 3 years ago, and people hardly even use it. We use it for a very few useful gestures such as 3D Touch on the edge to get to app switcher (which is essentially useless on iPhone X and future iPhone models), 3D Touch to use the keyboard as cursor. And that’s pretty much it.

Considering how Apple first introduced 3D Touch as “revolutionary” that will “change the way we use our iPhone,” it’s simply just not enough.

13. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

That’s one of the best thing on the screen & features. It’s very useful when you want to read messages but not wanting the senders to see that you did.

14. R3k macrumors 6502a

15. Kardinal1911 macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

3D Touch doesn’t always work on my X So I don’t know I don’t really use it much anyway

16. Tekzilla macrumors regular

Tekzilla

Does anyone know, If you are on the Apple Upgrade system and you got the 256GB X in 2017, can you get the 6.1 LCD if it is indeed as cheap as people think? Will Apple allow you to trade in for a lesser model and a smaller loan?

17. mobidutch macrumors member

I am sure many people find 3D Touch useful, so I think it is fair to call it a good feature. But it is not for me. I simply can't remember what app supports what 3D Touch functions. It just ends up frustrating me instead of saving me time. So to me, dropping 3D Touch to save some cost and keep the price down sounds like an excellent plan.

18. Someyoungguy macrumors 6502

Uh, wouldn’t you get the same thing by touching the folder normally??
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    I still have a 6, and therefore no 3D Touch. However, I have it on my watch, and I too forget it’s there and have to keep relearning that it is how I can change my Move target calories. It seems like terrible UI design if, after a year, it still never comes naturally. It also seems misused. I would much rather stop a run with a hard screen press than find two small physical buttons or an on-screen one.

19. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

That is certainly one workflow. My workflow is to 3D Touch the folder and slide my thumb into the app of my choice (which may be on a different page in the folder if I had just touched the folder to access the app), or with several other apps I don't keep in folders, slide into the action or section I wish to access. For example, there's no faster way to drop a pin with Apple Maps.

Edited for clarity.

20. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

Well-integrated? The only times I've ever used it have been by accident, resulting in plenty of expletives about why the phone isn't doing what I want it to do! Good riddance.

21. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Timmy only cares about profits not user experience. Hence no 3DT at the same price as the current budget iPhones. Pathetic.

22. mrklaw macrumors 68020

I’m slightly confused by he Iphone family at this point if these rumours pan out. They will have ‘X’ phones at 5.8 and 6.5”, this loser priced phone at 6.1”, and maybe still the tiny SE or SE2

I’m guessing they don’t bring forward the 8/8+ anymore. So the 6.1” becomes the new ‘Normal’ phone? Then seems odd to have a smaller but more expensive X. And 6.1” is an odd size - will be way too big for a lot of people that were happy with the 7/8 size. Even reducing bezels it’ll still be more like the 8+ chassis size won’t it?

It is also a shame they’re continuing with the X line. It was introduced last year almost as a one-off, the future of Iphone. So they could have just rolled that into the main family. I guess the opportunity to have a ‘pro’ (= not really pro, just excuse to charge more) is too much to resist.

23. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

So riddle me this, why should Apple get rid of a feature that many - on this thread I mean - dislike even though many others use it and find it useful. It's not as if it is forced on you nor does removing it really decrease cost or complexity.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'm willing to stay on LCD to save money, but I'm not sure I'd sacrifice 3D touch and above all the second camera.
    If this LCD model won't have 3D touch or the second camera I may keep my 8+, unless the new X will drop the price below $1000.