Kuo: AirPods With Wireless Charging Case Expected in Early 2019, All-New Model in Early 2020

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
homepage.mac.com
My batteries are trashed, too. Only about 40 minutes worth of call time (continuous), starting with a full 100%.

I'm just desperately trying to hang on until a new generation... I was expecting any day now, but looks like I may need to wait for another few months. Ugh.
I bought the old batch last year, but had to give them back. I cannot keep them in. The one in my left ear just pops out in a light breeze, or the slightest tilt of my head. I have the horror of an ear canal that is too large, Apple!

deckard666

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
This product always makes me chuckle - both here and industry "experts" said just bad things about this at launch and now I see them everywhere....always a nice touchstone for me about the reality of things vs the internet of things....

Reactions: Abazigal

brdeveloper

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Really wish they didn't leak sound as much as they do...
I think the sound quality has to do with that sound leak. For example, Samsung Level U Pro entirely covers the ear opening, but lacks a lot of bass definition. With that sound leak you refer, the ear/air pods can be used with higher volume levels and so higher sound pressure without damaging ears or producing an annoyingly pronounced bass sound.

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
Real curious what a new design would look like. Doesn't feel like a lot of room to mess with the current model. Looking forward to something innovative. Come on Apple, blow my ear away. ;-)
Based on my own experience, I suspect this growth is quite plausible, with or without a new model.
The primary problem with SELLING AirPods is that it's hard to really show just how well they work. Everything that works well (the easy pairing, pause when you take them out your ear, they don't fall out even though they look like they should, the range is better than any other BT device I know, fast charging, etc etc) none of that really resonates till you try them.

Which means, I think, that they sell primarily one person at a time seeing their use by a friend and eventually deciding to try for themselves. That's disappointing for a company that expects/wants immediate massive sales, but fits well with Apple's slow but steady ethos. Very much the same pattern as Apple Watch, another device that can't really be appreciated just by reading a list of features.

warpdrive

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
I like mine but I only use them occasionally to listen to music because they don't sound all that great. I have a set of Bose QC for better sound quality and ANC on the go.

I'm not super picky about the sound when listening on the go....at home I have tons of great wired headphones to choose from (like my HD600, NAD HP50, UE Triple.Fi 10 etc) but I can't be bothered with wired headphones outside the house.

Most of the them I use them because I need to make a call and am put on hold, listen to youtube, podcasts etc. They are fantastic in that regard. Unlike wearing IEMs or headband headphones

I'm reading that the batteries aren't all that great. I hope I get at least 3 good years out of these for the price they cost. I feel they are worth it for their extreme user friendliness, but I would be pissed if they batteries suck after 3 years.

Relentless Power

macrumors Penryn
Jul 12, 2016
I’ll grab these things for under 100 when new ones come out.
You won’t will be able to find the first version of the AirPods when Apple releases the second version, they are just going to discontinue them altogether. That would make no sense to keep two versions in their lineup. The only way you would find the first version of AirPods with the second version releases, it’s likely through third-party retailer liquidating stock.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Why not just wait then?

I mean, I know why, but...
Wait an entire year before releasing wireless charging case? That'd seem extreme, especially if they finally found a solution for their air power mat or whatever it was called. If they have that, or something similar, people will want to wireless charge their airpods, and not wait another year for a redesign.

And that's if this is accurate, the redesign could end up being 1.5 or 2 years away at this rate.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
So when he says new AirPods with wireless case , is that current model with a wireless case ? If a new design comes in 2020.

For what it’s worth, Kuo has become captain obvious - has his run with useful leaks in the past.
The news/leak is the timeframe.

Anyways, I hope they do sell the wireless charging case separately as previously rumoured.

Relentless Power

macrumors Penryn
Jul 12, 2016
They should bundle in a pair of grey or black Airpods with the top models of the iPhone only.
Why? One way or the other, consumer has to pay for this bundle that you’re suggesting. It’s not like Apple is going include this for free, that’s not their method of operation when it comes to selling products. That would only *increase* the price point of the most expensive model the iPhone by adding AirPods, I think the AirPods should be a separate purchase, because not everybody is interested in Bluetooth and they might have a preference of wired headphones.

Reactions: ryanwarsaw

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
They need to put a way to control volume on the AirPods themselves. Waiting until at least 2020 for even a possibility of that happening is disappointing.

Reactions: decypher44

JMPATLANTA

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Great product. Just replaced mine this week because after 2 years of daily use, the batteries finally started to fail.
Is there a way to check the battery health on the AirPods or just guess? Mine seems to run down pretty quick while on the phone.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Visit site
I do have far to many things to plug in and charge, I am very ready for wireless charging.

MINOR NITPICK, I don't like how aggressively or loud they are when they snap shut. I get you want them secure but I wish it was less of a mousetrap snap, just softer please.

diego.caraballo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2013
After purchasing and testing several hi-end brands, I have come to the conclusion that currently the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless in-ear monitors are the best.
Hi inplainview. Did you have the chance to try the B&O E8's? I'm curious about how they compare to the Sennheiser.
I own the E8's and previously the SE535. I purchased the bluetooth adapter for the former, but the quality was subpar, with lot of hiss, SBC codec only and a loud "low battery" voice warning. But I liked to be untethered so I made the jump.

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
They should bundle in a pair of grey or black Airpods with the top models of the iPhone only. You can't buy them alone to get them you must drop $1,499 for a XS Max 512 GB.
Costs aside, Apple probably doesn't / won't do this for the same reason they don't bundle fast chargers with iPhones. They simply can't make enough of them.

Reactions: ryanwarsaw

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
This product always makes me chuckle - both here and industry "experts" said just bad things about this at launch and now I see them everywhere....always a nice touchstone for me about the reality of things vs the internet of things....
Sound quality on these things is still atrocious for the price.

Reactions: decypher44

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Will the wirelessly charging case also be able to charge via a lightning or usb-c cable? I travel a lot, and don’t want to have to carry around a charging pad with me.
If the new case also features usb c charging, then lightning is officially dying. Hopefully that’s the case and next year’s iPhone follows the latest iPad’s lead.
My guess is they will retain Lightning as long as the iPhone does. They are primarily a companion for the iPhone. Both have wireless charging capabilities, and the iPhone will likely drop Lightning to go fulllly sealed, wireless, without replacing it with anything. Same with the AirPods case. The iPad will only have a USB-C port because it’s a Mac alternative and needs compatibility with that world.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
This is a good post... I am an audiophile and after trying many different wireless models, I feel that the EarPods are a 5 on a scale of one to ten. For critical listening I use a pair of Shure SE846's with a custom ear molds, Double Helix OFC cables so I have a very very good pair of in-ear monitors. After purchasing and testing several hi-end brands, I have come to the conclusion that currently the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless in-ear monitors are the best. The EarPods are a consumer brand product and not really developed for critical listening. The one size fits all shape is evidence of this. For those who couldn't really tell the difference between 5 to 10, they are the perfect choice. My opinion.
Some cost comparisons would be very helpful for this thread.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Won’t buy unless the lag is reduced enough for GarageBand to be usable with them. And I really want an in-ear version.
Hopefully Apple will finally introduce some kind of low-latency feature for Garage Band and gaming.

Also, the ability to use multiple pairs of AirPods at the same time would be great. Then they’ll finally be reintroducing all the functionality they removed when they removed the headphone jack.

Reactions: goobot