Kuo: All 5G iPhones on Track to Launch in Fall 2020, Including Both Sub-6GHz and mmWave Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said he expected four 5G-enabled iPhones to launch in the second half of 2020, including models with both sub-6GHz and mmWave support depending on the region.

Kuo said iPhone models with mmWave would be available in five markets, including the United States, Canada, Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom, adding that Apple may disable 5G functionality in countries that do not offer 5G service or have a shallow 5G penetration rate to reduce production costs.

Kuo has now doubled down on his prediction. In a follow-up research note today, viewed by MacRumors, he said Apple is still on track to release both sub-6GHz and sub-6GHz-plus-mmWave iPhone models simultaneously in the second half of 2020, with shipments beginning in the late third quarter or early fourth quarter.

Last week, analyst Mehdi Hosseini had disagreed with Kuo's timeframe, claiming that sub-6GHz models would launch in September 2020 and mmWave models would follow in December 2020 or January 2021.

Kuo says development of 5G iPhones with both sub-6GHz and mmWave support is progressing as scheduled, however, and he has the more reputable track record as it relates to forecasting Apple's roadmap. So, as of now, it looks like the entire 5G iPhone lineup will be announced in September as usual.

Article Link: Kuo: All 5G iPhones on Track to Launch in Fall 2020, Including Both Sub-6GHz and mmWave Models

Last edited:

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2019
If they have USB-C, fix the atrocious Mail app, and at least reduce the notch, I might, MIGHT be tempted back.

Then again, it also depends on what Samsung does between now and then as well.

Given that I'm not invested in wearables or an ecosystem (too much, I have 3 Macs and LOVE macOS), Sammy gives me the best single-device-in-my-pocket experience. I can't stand to use my wife's iPhone (although I've been getting trained up...quite unintuitive OS it has become).

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2013
“Apple may disable sub-6GHz functionality in countries that do not offer 5G service or have a shallow 5G penetration rate to reduce production costs.”

Shouldn't this be disable mm-wave 5G? Standard sub 6GHz 5G is the pretty run of the mill updates to LTE using normal antennas. It’s the high frequency mm-wave that’s the difficult and expensive part (and also pretty useless).
- - Post merged: - -

If they have USB-C, fix the atrocious Mail app, and at least reduce the notch, I might, MIGHT be tempted back.

Then again, it also depends on what Samsung does between now and then as well.

Given that I'm not invested in wearables or an ecosystem (too much, I have 3 Macs and LOVE macOS), Sammy gives me the best single-device-in-my-pocket experience. I can't stand to use my wife's iPhone (although I've been getting trained up...quite unintuitive OS it has become).
What’s wrong with the Mail app? I use it for 5 different accounts without issue.

I tried out a friends Samsung Galaxy recently and it felt like the most kludged together scattergun approach. I love the slick, vertically integrated approach of iPhone’s so I am of the opposite opinion. Everything from airdrop, to hand off and integrated personal hotspot with my Mac just works.

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
“Apple may disable sub-6GHz functionality in countries that do not offer 5G service or have a shallow 5G penetration rate to reduce production costs.”
I took a look back at Kuo's research note from last month and I worded this incorrectly. Kuo says Apple may disable 5G entirely on the sub-6GHz-only models in countries that don't/barely have 5G. Thanks for the heads up on this! Corrected this.

lovehateapple

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I wonder if we're going to have to choose between sub 6GHz and mmWave models in the US? Would love to see USB-C on them too.

Red Oak

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
5G is over-hyped. It will take years still before there is widespread coverage with material speed increases. You literally need to be within 100 yards line of site of a tower to see the advertised speeds. Anything in the way of that (eg a tree, a wall, in your car, etc...) will dramatically slow it down

The T-Mobile rollout is especially a joke

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Oh my gawd man! why do people insist that they want USB-C on the iPhone? Lightning is a better, more durable connector!
I don’t have an interest in USB-C either, lightning is still very predominant and will be for years to come. The reason being, is it still heavily supported and it’s a small monopoly for Apple/third-party competitors alike. Even if Apple would completely convert away from lightning, Lightning still would be relevant moving forward.

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
I find myself completely unenthused about 5G... I don’t care about speed or latency, at this point, my biggest problem is coverage, particularly in buildings. Not limited capacity, but limited signal strength.

Last edited:

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007

Shouldn't this be disable mm-wave 5G? Standard sub 6GHz 5G is the pretty run of the mill updates to LTE using normal antennas. It’s the high frequency mm-wave that’s the difficult and expensive part (and also pretty useless).

What’s wrong with the Mail app? I use it for 5 different accounts without issue.

I tried out a friends Samsung Galaxy recently and it felt like the most kludged together scattergun approach. I love the slick, vertically integrated approach of iPhone’s so I am of the opposite opinion. Everything from airdrop, to hand off and integrated personal hotspot with my Mac just works.
Mail in iOS is definitely buggy. I believe the comment was more referring to lack of features which I never had a problem with before but all my emails immediately disappear and none from the past year will even show up unless I manually search for them. It’s been a few rounds of bug fixes and Apple has still not addressed this.

Based on what?

USB-C not only has better transfer speeds.... it’s more efficient at charging devices

USB-C FTW!
Besides developers, who is transferring data using a wired connection? And the charging speed is just as fast with a USB-C power adapter and a USB-C to lightning cable so that’s not a reason either.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I believe 5G is going to drive a sales bonanza for Apple later this year. Pretty much everyone will want to upgrade because the massive speed boost will be so meaningful for everyone. The next-gen 5G iPhones will break all sales records.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Based on what?

USB-C not only has better transfer speeds.... it’s more efficient at charging devices

USB-C FTW!
My friend had USB-C everything, and an iPhone provided as a work phone (he has a Samsung for his personal phone), He has had several USB-C ports fail on him as he is hard on things. The one lightning port on his work phone still works as well as the day they handed it to him (iPhone 6S). The lighting connector is sturdy as all hell, and that's why I honestly want to keep it as well. How often are you using the lightning port on your phone to transfer data? I actually still back mine up to a computer occasionally, but I just plug it in and go to bed. It's always done by morning. I can see charging, if that is true. Somehow I don't think it's the connector that is the charging limiter though. But again, I don't need my phone to charge super fast either. I charge at night while I sleep, then during the day I have a charger in the car and at work. If I am to be away from those chargers for a significant time, I pop my battery case on the phone and carry on. So ultimately, USB-C only creates a negative in my usage, I have to buy all new cables for everything for no real other benefit other than maybe one day everything will use that one cable. Apple bet hard on that for the last 4 years and I still don't have a single USB-C device. Maybe it will be nice once everything has moved over and the older tech is obsolete, but right now all my USB-A stuff still works and does what I need it to do, and the connector is far more robust than USB-C from what I've seen.

iJustines

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2019
A new Airpods will come with the purchase of iPhone 12 and the people are sick of the terrible notch screen.