Kuo: All Three iPhones Coming in 2020 Will Support 5G

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Apple will absolutely not be supporting 5G in 2020. They will delay (as always) and fall behind other companies and then release it as some major new feature after they are already late to the party. Lol at anybody who thinks they’ll be leading in 5G devices right out of the gate. Not happening.
[doublepost=1564337480][/doublepost]It took them what, 3 or 4 years to bring copy & paste to iOS? But they’re gonna be among the first for 5G support? LOL.
They wouldn’t be one of the first, 2020 would probably make them the last major manufacturer to release a 5g Phone. It’s pretty obvious they will have 5g in 2020 now they’ve settled with Qualcomm

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
It is infuriating me that Apple only offers phablets and no decent sized small iPhone, regardless of being a budget or high end phone.

Apple execs are living in their own world, their reality distortion field, not realizing that there are people in this word, who think, that smartphones aren’t that important in their lives. They don’t want to carry bricks around.
They sell what people are willing to buy. They know what their sales numbers were for the small devices, and apparently the answer is “not big enough to justify the investment.”

Everyone here complains that Tim Cook is only motivated by money. And then they claim that whatever particular device they crave would be a huge seller, and Tim Cook is missing out on major sales.

Whatever.
[doublepost=1564338666][/doublepost]
Apple will absolutely not be supporting 5G in 2020. They will delay (as always) and fall behind other companies and then release it as some major new feature after they are already late to the party. Lol at anybody who thinks they’ll be leading in 5G devices right out of the gate. Not happening.
[doublepost=1564337480][/doublepost]It took them what, 3 or 4 years to bring copy & paste to iOS? But they’re gonna be among the first for 5G support? LOL.
That wouldn’t make them among the first.

But they WERE among the first for capacitive touch screen phones, full-screen keyboardless phones, super high resolution, high refresh rates, adaptive colorpoint displays, etc.

They tend not to be early with wireless standards because, typically, the first chipsets offered by Qualcomm (and Broadcom for Wi-Fi) for a given standard aren’t very good, using a ton of power for negligible gain unless you happen to have the right infrastructure around.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I love how this years phones are so boring the best they got is to talk about hopes for next years phones. Apple is becoming basically obsolete when it comes to innovation. Don’t get me wrong build quality and os are top notch. But there is nothing exciting about the phones anymore and when next year rolls around they will be just as behind.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
I love how this years phones are so boring the best they got is to talk about hopes for next years phones. Apple is becoming basically obsolete when it comes to innovation. Don’t get me wrong build quality and os are top notch. But there is nothing exciting about the phones anymore and when next year rolls around they will be just as behind.
This year’s phones haven’t been announced yet. You have no clue whether they have any innovations or not.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How do you refute the people that claim 5G needs more study on possible health impacts?
There is no need to refute nonsense.

5G, just like all cellular tech before it, uses NON-IONIZING radiation. It has no effect on living tissues.

Dangerous radiation is IONIZING radiation. In order to get there you have to go to MUCH shorter wavelengths, through even the entire visible light spectrum until you get to ultraviolet. 6GHz is not even close to infrared light, which is still harmless. IR starts at 300GHz!

Stop being overly paranoid and trust the science.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
This year’s phones haven’t been announced yet. You have no clue whether they have any innovations or not.
In fairness, we usually know about any key innovations by now. Certainly from a hardware point of view.
All we have this year is a camera upgrade. And a few bits n bobs like the bilateral wireless charging and WiFi 6.
So it seems likely they'll focus on photography in the keynote, and perhaps AR again, with a faster processor, etc.
None of that is particularly innovative.

neliason

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
It is infuriating me that Apple only offers phablets and no decent sized small iPhone, regardless of being a budget or high end phone.

Apple execs are living in their own world, their reality distortion field, not realizing that there are people in this word, who think, that smartphones aren’t that important in their lives. They don’t want to carry bricks around.
I guess most people want or go along with the bigger is better movement in phones. So they sell enough big phones to not care. Personally I’ll hold on to my SE until it doesn’t work unless they offer a phone in the same size. I know I’m not alone but apparently I’m not part of a big enough market. Hopefully the huge phones are a fad like shoulder pads in women’s clothing in the 80s.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
In fairness, we usually know about any key innovations by now. Certainly from a hardware point of view.
All we have this year is a camera upgrade. And a few bits n bobs like the bilateral wireless charging and WiFi 6.
So it seems likely they'll focus on photography in the keynote, and perhaps AR again, with a faster processor, etc.
None of that is particularly innovative.
How is supporting a new cellular standard (5G) more innovative than supporting a new Wi-Fi standard (Wi-Fi 6?)

I don’t think “innovation” means what you think it means.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I guess most people want or go along with the bigger is better movement in phones. So they sell enough big phones to not care. Personally I’ll hold on to my SE until it doesn’t work unless they offer a phone in the same size. I know I’m not alone but apparently I’m not part of a big enough market. Hopefully the huge phones are a fad like shoulder pads in women’s clothing in the 80s.
I caved, and dumped my SE recently. And bought an XS. And I haven't looked back. I'm a convert. The new iphones are really impressive. And you get used to the screen size very quickly!

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
It’s a shame we have to wait another yr for what should happen this yr.

2019 iPhones are just going to be a rehash of the same design just better camera features.

2020 iPhones are the ones everyone will want.

It sucks for people on iPhone 6 6s 7 and 7s who want to upgrade. Why buy 2019 when the real changes in design will be in 2020.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
How is supporting a new cellular standard (5G) more innovative than supporting a new Wi-Fi standard (Wi-Fi 6?)

I don’t think “innovation” means what you think it means.
Umm. it isn't.
Did I say 5G was more innovative than WiFi 6?
Perhaps I missed a post above, and my post is out of sequence.

And I do know what innovation means. It's about creativity and challenging assumptions. In technology, it also reflects discovery and advance.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
How do you refute the people that claim 5G needs more study on possible health impacts?
mmWave is the one causing concern, so for the 2020 models at least, if they aren't using that technology it's not a concern in the short term. Of note is that UK government at least isn't allowing mmWave 5G, or not yet anyway. Sounds a bit suspect so I wonder if it's even going to happen with the cost involved combined with the huge amount of negative press around it already...

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
With everything good "being 2020" I actually wonder if Apple ever cared to be releasing anything compelling or decent in 2019. It feels to me that Apple has had their "oh s$#*!!!" moment and can't do anything before then.
I think I prefer that they slow down and keep the juicy stuff for the 2020 release (new decade, new phone who dis?). People will probably forget about this year's releases lol

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Not sure what innovation you think Apple is behind on, and _they_ aren’t talking about next year’s iPhones at all. They’re not even talking about the ones they’ll be releasing in a couple months.

Reactions: the future

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
Apple brought the best face recognition system years ahead of everyone else, what makes you think they can't do the same with 5G?

mousekiks

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Small correction. iOS introduced copy and paste in iPhone OS 3 which released 2 years after the launch of the first iPhone.

Reactions: ingik

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
It’s a shame we have to wait another yr for what should happen this yr.

2019 iPhones are just going to be a rehash of the same design just better camera features.

2020 iPhones are the ones everyone will want.

It sucks for people on iPhone 6 6s 7 and 7s who want to upgrade. Why buy 2019 when the real changes in design will be in 2020.
Why would it suck for them? The 2019 iPhone will be a huge upgrade for anyone with a 3 year old device and, like all iPhones, will work great for many years.

You think when 5G comes out that LTE gets switched off and their phones stop working? Or that LTE is going to get downgraded and provide a miserably slow experience?

What really sucks is people paying top dollar for a flagship that has 5G and having to put up with the growing pains (poor coverage, increased battery draw, not supporting all networks) while having to wait several years before it’s established enough to work seamlessly. And after all that realizing your phone works about the same on 5G as your last phone did on 4G.

Grey Area

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
There is no need to refute nonsense.
No need, and no use. Those crackpots will ignore any refutation anyway, or claim there is some conspiracy behind it, just as they do with all that is available already.

But these people will have no say in the matter, as this technology is coming, and any suffering they believe to feel as a result from it is just self-inflicted.