Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgician

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
Suddenly all attention turned to 5G, how about notch-free IPhone that will have standalone 5G modem or A series SoC with integrated 5G modem. I will stick to 6s Plus at least until either of the above happens though headphone jack is out of question.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Can someone show me the threads of complaints that LTE is slow?

This.

Just because there's new technology, doesn't mean we all need every bit of it. I want my phone to have a decent camera, but I don't need portrait mode, 3D, VR stuff, etc. I want my phone to have a good screen, but in reality I never had a problem with my 6S Plus's Retina LCD vs. my iPhone X's OLED. I'm kind of indifferent between FaceID and TouchID. Face works better most of the time and I like having much less bezel and don't mind the notch. But touch was handier when the phone wasn't necessarily pointing right in my face. I want my phone to be fast enough to stream audio for sure and occasional videos, but I couldn't care less if they are 4K or even 1080....720 is good enough for what I can see on my phone, so I don't really care if I get 5G or not until I have a reason to have the extra speed. Reliable wide-spread LTE service is more important to me than 5G.

It feels like we have to pay for a lot of stuff that few of us actually use or care about. I do think there would be room for Apple to make a very good phone with their best processor (if that's even needed...if its power is just to support superfluous features, then maybe even drop back a gen or two).

Reactions: B.A.T and Lazy

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
So you're telling me that you don't need to view movies, browse the web, read documents, or play games on the nicely screen sized current Phones???

They still make flip phones for people like you who only need a phone to make calls and fits in your jean pocket.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I can’t see the point of 5G (at least with my usage). Do people really download 2 gig apps, or movies on the go?

YouTube, Twitter, etc all work fine when using tru 4G (which is almost everywhere)

The battery reduction is a big trade off that I don’t think most people will be willing to make.
What’s wrong with short battery life, higher cell bills and more expensive phones?

It’ll all be worth it, you’ll see. I for one can’t wait til I can blow through a 5GB data cap in a minute flat.

Reactions: Lazy

gweedo

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
TX
The industry is pushing 5g so hard it makes you wonder. It feels a lot like the push for 3d TVs a few years back. "Everything will be so amazing! Run out and buy stuff right now!" but the actual result was very meh and ended up not amounting to much (other then sheeple buying new 3d TVs and 3d glasses they don't use any longer). There isn't even any significant 5g coverage yet (link). <5g yawn> Looking forward to a new phone design (i can hope), but not 5g.

Reactions: jimbobb24 and Lazy

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Tobacco industry said same thing about cigarettes and cancer. “No evidence”, “no scientific proof”, etc.
So people working at the International Agency for Research on Cancer must be idiots?
The problem is you’re not comparing apples to apples. There have been so many studies about mmWave and 5G, and they point to less harm than other RF waves. Just have to do your research.

Reactions: PC_tech

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
This.

It feels like we have to pay for a lot of stuff that few of us actually use or care about. I do think there would be room for Apple to make a very good phone with their best processor (if that's even needed...if its power is just to support superfluous features, then maybe even drop back a gen or two).

First, no matter the industry, you will always pay more for first gen or experimental products. Second, if you are willing to wait, prices drop and you can see if new product designs passed the test of time.

However, don't go blaming companies for trying new ideas. It's the only way to make progress and you can't progress without trail and error and companies can't try ideas without people paying for that research.

Reactions: Wide opeN

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
This.

Just because there's new technology, doesn't mean we all need every bit of it. I want my phone to have a decent camera, but I don't need portrait mode, 3D, VR stuff, etc. I want my phone to have a good screen, but in reality I never had a problem with my 6S Plus's Retina LCD vs. my iPhone X's OLED. I'm kind of indifferent between FaceID and TouchID. Face works better most of the time and I like having much less bezel and don't mind the notch. But touch was handier when the phone wasn't necessarily pointing right in my face. I want my phone to be fast enough to stream audio for sure and occasional videos, but I couldn't care less if they are 4K or even 1080....720 is good enough for what I can see on my phone, so I don't really care if I get 5G or not until I have a reason to have the extra speed. Reliable wide-spread LTE service is more important to me than 5G.

That’s pretty much why Apple isn’t selling 220 million iPhones a year anymore—and also why they introduced a higher priced premium flagship tier.

An iPhone 7 is only $449 right now, and in a couple months the 8 will be available for $449-499. Not all the latest features of course, but sufficient for most, and half the price of the latest and greatest.

gweedo

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
TX
Ask them their source for this information on possible health effects. Then ask them why they think they know more than the FCC and experts on such things.

The fears are mostly borne from people thinking tinfoil hat websites are trustworthy and others who don't know how to read scientific material.

Is this the same FCC that gets blasted here constantly for being an industry shill? The current FCC guidelines for RF safety haven't been updated since 1996. GAO also recommended the testing requirements be updated (link). Other countries are doing additional testing for 5g (Brussels, Netherlands, Switzerland, and a few from the U.S link, link). Tinfoil hats are in fashion for governments all over I guess.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I have a 7 and assumed that I'd get this year's model but maybe I should consider yesterday's model and wait for 2020 or even 2021. My daughter's X is amazing and would be, and would feel like, an upgrade - even if it isn't the uppest upgrade.

It easy to decide if your decision is limited to the newest and coolest vs standing pat. Now I'll have to research X vs Xs too.

First world problem.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the heads up! I’m not planning to replace my iPhone X this year and I can probably push it all the way to 4 years. It was worth investing in a phone that was billed at being a future phone well ahead of its time. That turned out to be right. My iPhone X still feels like new and shows no signs of slowing down.

Reactions: Ramchi and jgbr

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
The industry is pushing 5g so hard it makes you wonder. It feels a lot like the push for 3d TVs a few years back. "Everything will be so amazing! Run out and buy stuff right now!" but the actual result was very meh and ended up not amounting to much (other then sheeple buying new 3d TVs and 3d glasses they don't use any longer). There isn't even any significant 5g coverage yet (link). <5g yawn> Looking forward to a new phone design (i can hope), but not 5g.

Lol I hate to break it to you, butttt every company does this. It’s all marketing and hype to lure people in. Capitalism.

Every feature is groundbreaking and a “must have”.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
5G is clearly a solution in search of a problem.

You’re clearly a person in search of using a tired overused expression. :rolleyes:

5G does solve problems we all have: available data bandwidth, speed and battery efficiency.

With the huge increase in bandwidth availability, 5G has the potential to replace WiFi. We’ll be able to use mobile data exclusively and it’ll show up built into everything from cars to laptops, from dog collars to TVs. It’s so much faster than LTE which is speed we’ll need for future applications like augmented reality. It’s designed to use very little power because 5G cell broadcasters will be everywhere, not just large far away towers.

So yes, it solves problems that we do have.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

Go buy an EDGE phone. It’s not like you need LTE or anything. After all, it was just a marketing push and won’t amount to much.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I should certainly hope so.

BUT if you have an iPhone and AT&T right now, you have a compatible phone that can display a 5G icon on it.
It means absolutely nothing....but still. A 5G ICON! :eek:

pZhenHa.png

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Maybe in the US. The rest of the world is rolling out 5G at a fast pace. Major UK cities have it already. With the networks starting to be used from August. I am sure there are many other countries that are far ahead with the roll out of 5G technology.

In terms of the U.K. the nearest city to me is Derby so I’d have to wait for o2 to launch 5G later on in 2019 if I wanted a faster ‘experience’ as none of the others have switched on masts here yet (not sure about Three, though).

However given the current pricing of some of the tariffs I’m happy to wait before jumping on board!

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
You’re clearly a person in search of using a tired overused expression. :rolleyes:

5G does solve problems we all have: available data bandwidth, speed and battery efficiency.

With the huge increase in bandwidth availability, 5G has the potential to replace WiFi. We’ll be able to use mobile data exclusively and it’ll show up built into everything from cars to laptops, from dog collars to TVs. It’s so much faster than LTE which is speed we’ll need for future applications like augmented reality. It’s designed to use very little power because 5G cell broadcasters will be everywhere, not just large far away towers.

So yes, it solves problems that we do have.

Other than in home broadband, everything else you mentioned is 3-5 years away.

But sure... Enjoy your flying car powered by 5G.
[doublepost=1564353920][/doublepost]
Go buy an EDGE phone. It’s not like you need LTE or anything. After all, it was just a marketing push and won’t amount to much.

Are you a paid shill for 5G!?

Me thinks so... Try to be more subtle in your attempts.

Reactions: PC_tech

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
5G is not relevant for devices currently available nor will there be any added value in increased speeds in the near future. It's meant to connect more devices at the same time. For instance every file audio/video streamed right now already starts playback pretty much instantly. Having said that, carriers would need to update their data plans accordingly.

As long as there are no new features i.e. AR applications that millions of customers use on a daily basis, the progress from 3 to 4 to 5G is comparable to USB 2.0 3.0/3.1 or bluetooth protocol respectively for the current end user.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It is infuriating me that Apple only offers phablets and no decent sized small iPhone, regardless of being a budget or high end phone.

Apple execs are living in their own world, their reality distortion field, not realizing that there are people in this word, who think, that smartphones aren’t that important in their lives. They don’t want to carry bricks around.
One day I wonder how light iPod touch would be, and I went to an Apple store. God damn. The weight difference made me wonder why I had to have a phone in the first place, at least during workout. Sure, Apple Watch is nice, but having an iOS device sometimes is just so much better. Sadly Apple Watch app is not available on iPod touch.
208gram vs 88gram.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
There is no need to refute nonsense.

5G, just like all cellular tech before it, uses NON-IONIZING radiation. It has no effect on living tissues.

Dangerous radiation is IONIZING radiation. In order to get there you have to go to MUCH shorter wavelengths, through even the entire visible light spectrum until you get to ultraviolet. 6GHz is not even close to infrared light, which is still harmless. IR starts at 300GHz!

Stop being overly paranoid and trust the science.

Theirs are plenty of scientists and experts that would happily tell you your wrong...
So it’s more a case of which ‘science’ you want to believe. But considering it’s untested tech and the Brussels government has halted the roll out of 5G till its been tested for health risks, I know which one I believe.

Last edited:

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
The problem is you’re not comparing apples to apples. There have been so many studies about mmWave and 5G, and they point to less harm than other RF waves. Just have to do your research.
Again, I gave a link to the International Agency for Research on Cancer who classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans. You think they didn't do their own research?

The WHO/International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B), based on an increased risk for glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer1, associated with wireless phone use.

The Working Group considered hundreds of scientific articles;

The Working Group did not quantitate the risk; however, one study of past cell phone use (up to the year 2004), showed a 40% increased risk for gliomas in the highest category of heavy users (reported average: 30 minutes per day over a 10‐year period).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.