Kuo: Apple Expected to Sell at Least 20 Million 'iPhone SE 2' Models in 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is rumored to be working on an updated lower-cost "iPhone SE 2," which is set to be released in 2020. In a new research note to investors highlighting supplier expectations for the new device that was seen by MacRumors, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has shared some sales predictions.

Kuo believes Apple will ship at least 20 million iPhone SE 2 units in 2020, following the device's launch in the first half of the year. An optimistic situation, says Kuo, is 30 million units.

iPhone SE and iPhone 8​

According to Kuo, the iPhone SE 2 will use a 10-layer Substrate-like PCB (SLP) for its motherboard, which will benefit some iPhone suppliers like Pending Holdings, Xinxing, and AT&S despite the fact that it's expected to be a less expensive component than the SLP used in the iPhone 11 series.

In prior research notes, Kuo has shared quite a lot of detail on the "iPhone SE 2," which, despite the somewhat misleading name, is actually closer in design and specification to an iPhone 8.

The device will feature a 4.7-inch display, a single-lens rear camera, and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor. It will ship with the same A13 chip that's in the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro, and it will have 3GB RAM.

The only thing that's "iPhone SE 2" about the upcoming iPhone is its price, which is expected to be $399. At that price point, it will replace the iPhone 8, which Apple currently sells for $449.

Apple's upcoming low-cost iPhone is expected to be a very popular upgrade option for iPhone users who are still holding on to an older model like an iPhone 6 or 6s and are looking for an affordable upgrade option that offers the same speeds and many of the same features as Apple's flagship devices.

It's also expected to be popular in countries where lower-cost devices sell well, such as India and China.

The new iPhone is expected to come out in the spring of 2020, which would see Apple launching it months ahead of when the new 2020 flagship iPhones come out in September.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple Expected to Sell at Least 20 Million 'iPhone SE 2' Models in 2020

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I’m most curious about the name. I can’t see it being “iPhone SE 2” but then again I didn’t believe “iPhone 11 Pro Max” either lmao.

If 1 thing is for sure... Apple is going to make some record profits next year. Especially if they’re saving this new 16” MBP, AirTags and 6th Gen. Apple TV for 2020.

Reactions: I7guy

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Let me understand this. Apple is re-releasing the iPhone 6s but in a smaller form factor and people actually want this?
I’d say it’s an iPhone 8 in a smaller form factor. There are people that say they want an updated SE with all of the latest stuff like Face ID, but I think the majority of people buying it won’t care too much about the features just as long as it’s SMALL.

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
RIP Chinese phones companies who relied heavily on cheap prices to generate sales. Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and all the rest of the garbage makers please die off already nobody buys you unless its in the bottom of the price range in which iPhone se will dominate going forward. Thanks.

Reactions: Elitegate

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I’d say it’s an iPhone 8 in a smaller form factor. There are people that say they want an updated SE with all of the latest stuff like Face ID, but I think the majority of people buying it won’t care too much about the features just as long as it’s SMALL.
At some point, I really stopped caring about new iPhones. I have an Xs, but if someone made me go to an iPhone 8, I wouldn't care at all except maybe for the camera. I actually prefer TouchID, although FaceID is fine.

All my excitement is for the new Apple Watches and smart home stuff.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Can we please stop calling this the SE 2. Even your own article says it has nothing to do with the SE.
I think you’re missing the context for the reader. They’re using the ‘SE 2’ moniker, that way the reader knows it’s it’s technically supposed to be the next version of the SE, even though it’s never going to adopt the SE 2 title. Make sense? It should. 😁

Reactions: jerryk

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
It will very-likely include an "8 Mpx" Back Camera Image Sensor !

Once that becomes common knowledge, enthusiasm for it will be tempered.

I believe it will be positioned for First Time Buyers, & NOT as an Upgrade option.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

siddavis

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Something something about a small phone. There's an EXTREMELY vocal minority on the internet that never shuts up about wanting a smaller sized phone, so yes there is.
Count me as part of the 'minority'. I guess the success of the original SE and its small form was just because people don't know what they are buying. My brother in law has my old SE because my company gave me an oversized phone. He refuses to use a larger phone. He is not vocal.