Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Being expensive in those markets is by design. That keeps Apple the brand that "only people that have succeeded can buy". So when someone gets a SE2, it is to show up their friends with cheap phones. Just like getting an iPhone Pro Max does.

Apple offers discounts in emerging markets.

The $349 SE was routinely discounted to $200-250 in India.

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
Make a 4” display and that number will double. It’s not the low price everyone likes it’s the small form factor!

freddiebarnes

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2018
Let me understand this. Apple is re-releasing the iPhone 6s but in a smaller form factor and people actually want this?

Yes. I want it. I’ll get one to replace my 6s, which does everything I need it to do. The new iPhones do nothing for me. I’m not interested in all the bells and whistles like Face ID and multiple rear cameras. I like the smaller form factor, lower price, updated internals and I like Touch ID.

It’s nice to have options for people who don’t need or don’t want the higher end models.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Sounds like a no-brainer for anyone that wants a modern iphone for a great price. The only thing I worry about is RAM, as even 3 gigs seems too low for the Higher priced iPhone 11’s And the long term viability of them even with a top of the line A13 chip

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Almost undoubtedly. The SE family is targeted at emerging markets. India is a big eSIM market. Apple collects fees from eSIM carriers.

Awesome! ?
[automerge]1572981537[/automerge]
Make a 4” display and that number will double. It’s not the low price everyone likes it’s the small form factor!

I moved from iPhone SE to iPhone 7 and it would be tricky for me to go back to 4” now due to its more compact keyboard.

Reactions: freddiebarnes

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Do the opposite of what made the iPhone XR and 11 successful?

The reality is, the vast majority of people want a large display and low price.

Reactions: Elitegate

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Yes. I want it. I’ll get one to replace my 6s, which does everything I need it to do. The new iPhones do nothing for me. I’m not interested in all the bells and whistles like Face ID and multiple rear cameras. I like the smaller form factor, lower price, updated internals and I like Touch ID.

It’s nice to have options for people who don’t need or don’t want the higher end models.
You make some valid points Bubbles.

Reactions: freddiebarnes

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Sure, nobody's buying them, hence Huawei saw a 30% annual increase of the market share LOL
That’s not how math works. They saw about a 5% increase in market share. You can’t realistically make a comparison relative to a measurement that’s already relative. Framing it as a 29% increase in shipments when the market stayed roughly steady in total shipments is both more honest and more correct.

carltabet

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Beirut
I was thinking about buying the iPhone 11, but it's just way too large for me. The 11 Pro is a better size, but a little out of my price range. I'll be interested in checking out the new SE next year if the specs and features match up.
After holding on to my iPhone 6s for 4 years I ended up getting an iPhone 11 although the size was really putting me off. Now that I've had it for almost a month, I can understand the advantage of a larger phone. Battery life! Even after a battery replacement my 6s was always relying on a power bank to make it through the day. Now with the iPhone 11 I no longer have to worry about that, it easily lasts for a full day and some more. Of course the iPhone 11 Pro has a better size with the same battery life but as you said it's too expensive...

Reactions: slu and Foxglove9

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
If someone would sell us a smaller sized phone, we'd shut up.

Count me as part of the 'minority'. I guess the success of the original SE and its small form was just because people don't know what they are buying. My brother in law has my old SE because my company gave me an oversized phone. He refuses to use a larger phone. He is not vocal.

If there was a real demand for a smaller phone, the market would meet that demand. Google, Samsung, Apple, and Huawei aren't making smaller phones because the cost to production outweighs the demand. That is the definition of what a minority is. Your one-off anecdotal evidence about your brother-in-law means nothing.

Reactions: slu

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
This is aim for people who don’t need the latest tech and just want an iPhone to do the basics for a good price.

It’s not about price for me. It’s about the pocketability and compactness of the 8. I have a 11 Pro and still have my 8. I find myself switching up my 8 often because I much prefer the compactness vs my 11 Pro.

I would pay flagship premium price for an SE 2 that had close to the same specs as the 11.

Reactions: FairlyKors

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
It doesn’t make sense to me that a smaller phone with all of the same specs as the 11 (except the camera) would be $300 less. I think they should rather start at $499.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
It’s not about price for me. It’s about the pocketability and compactness of the 8. I have a 11 Pro and still have my 8. I find myself switching up my 8 often because I much prefer the compactness vs my 11 Pro.

I would pay flagship premium price for an SE 2 that had close to the same specs as the 11.
You are far from alone.

Reactions: FairlyKors

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It doesn’t make sense to me that a smaller phone with all of the same specs as the 11 (except the camera) would be $300 less. I think they should rather start at $499.

Realistically, ~$500-$550 is the probability of MSRP for this phone.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I think you’re missing the context for the reader. They’re using the ‘SE 2’ moniker, that way the reader knows it’s it’s technically supposed to be the next version of the SE, even though it’s never going to adopt the SE 2 title. Make sense? It should. ?
Not missing anything. This should be called the iPhone 8s. This has nothing to do with the iPhone SE.

Reactions: sgtaylor5

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014

This phone is aimed at emerging markets like India. They want cheap but reasonable sized screen. So no I think it would lose money if it was 4 inch.

Reactions: rp2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.