Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In prior research notes, Kuo has shared quite a lot of detail on the "iPhone SE 2," which, despite the somewhat misleading name, is actually closer in design and specification to an iPhone 8.

Not misleading as SE has always been targeted at price-sensitive customers.

Pretty arrogant for MacRumors to suggest they know more about Apple product positioning than Ming-Chi Kuo.

Reactions: apolloa

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
At some point, I really stopped caring about new iPhones. I have an Xs, but if someone made me go to an iPhone 8, I wouldn't care at all except maybe for the camera. I actually prefer TouchID, although FaceID is fine.

All my excitement is for the new Apple Watches and smart home stuff.

That’s interesting. I don’t foresee that ever happening to me, but I see where you’re coming from. Apple gets me every year Lol. Whether it’s 3 new features or 8, I just want to be up to date on the device I use all day everyday.

Starting to get my Watch updated annually too.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
iPhone 5 form factor, A13 chip, 256 GB, and good camera please.

I have my iPhone 8 for 2 years now. Temporarily had an X which I used for 3 months and went straight back to the 8 due to its size.

I even find my 8 a bit too big too.
But, If the SE2 will be iPhone 8 form factor, A13 and 256 GB I will definitely buy it.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
RIP Chinese phones companies who relied heavily on cheap prices to generate sales. Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and all the rest of the garbage makers please die off already nobody buys you unless its in the bottom of the price range in which iPhone se will dominate going forward. Thanks.

RIP? Don't think so. Those companies still make phone models much less expensive then this rumoured SE at $399. $399 US is still too expensive in many markets around the world.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Apple's upcoming low-cost iPhone is expected to be a very popular upgrade option for iPhone users who are still holding on to an older model like an iPhone 6 or 6s and are looking for an affordable upgrade option that offers the same speeds and many of the same features as Apple's flagship devices.

And people who simply prefer smaller-sized iPhones, at least not bigger than their 6-7-8s. We need to remember that when people bought their iPhone 6 or 6S back in the days, those were not cheap or affordable.

I am personally curious if this new iPhone will have a dual-SIM (nano and e-SIM) setup. The rest (price including) is not so important for me.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
RIP? Don't think so. Those companies still make phone models much less expensive then this rumoured SE at $399. $399 US is still too expensive in many markets around the world.

The Xiaomi A3 comes with 6.1" OLED, in-display fingerprint, triple-rear camera, USB-C. It sells for $199 in India.

The SE2 has no hope of capturing that market. It's a good stop-gap however.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
All I want is a phone that's the physical dimensions of the iPhone 5/5S/SE with the A13 processor and a edge-to-edge screen.

Basically take the iPhone 11 Pro and shrink it down to the dimensions of the iPhone SE and I'll buy it right now, even at $999.
If the camera was the same so would I. Not sure if that is feasible in that size but who knows...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I am personally curious if this new iPhone will have a dual-SIM (nano and e-SIM) setup. The rest (price including) is not so important for me.

Almost undoubtedly. The SE family is targeted at emerging markets. India is a big eSIM market. Apple collects fees from eSIM carriers.

Reactions: one more

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
RIP Chinese phones companies who relied heavily on cheap prices to generate sales. Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and all the rest of the garbage makers please die off already nobody buys you unless its in the bottom of the price range in which iPhone se will dominate going forward. Thanks.

Those "garbage" options will still offer similar or better functionality in the same price range than this iPhone.
Sure, nobody's buying them, hence Huawei saw a 30% annual increase of the market share LOL (https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/31/...ts-rose-1-in-q3-2019-first-growth-in-2-years/)

Last edited by a moderator:

Heelpir8

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2019
Apple believes 20-30 million people a year want this.

And they're right.

Yep. For only $400 I'll finally toss my still plenty fast 6S and stay within the Apple ecosystem for a few more years, no question. A13, no notch and exactly the screen size I like in a phone. Don't need the best camera available. The one in the 6S is already good enough for me. It's definitely a good move by Apple.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
If it comes with the Qualcomm modem along with WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5 count me in as one of the future owner.

Reactions: apolloa

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Last edited by a moderator:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
A sad reality, I believe, is that Apple is using the iPhone 8 (6, 6S, 7, 8, call it whatever you want) form factor because of $$$. At this point, the ONLY iPhone being sold with the iPhone 5 form factor is the iPhone SE, and those numbers are dwindling due to a lack of update. Keeping that form factor would be more expensive continuing the iPhone 6 form factor whose manufacturing processes have been scaled and perfected over the past four or five years (however long it's been, sorry). A great way to keep costs low and possibly get rid of extra product such as the front and rear panels is to continue the iPhone 8 form factor.

It's unfortunate. Just my $0.02.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
If it comes with the Qualcomm modem along with WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5 count me in as one of the future owner.
It will probably have Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5 but it will almost certainly be Intel and 4g. But for people like my parents, they are not going to care who made the modem chip as long as the rest of the phone does the job.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think he is underestimating the sales. The SE2 is going to sell extremely well. The margins are so high on this phone that they will be able to reduce the prices by $100+ in 6 months or less.

Reactions: Elitegate

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I think he is underestimating the sales. The SE2 is going to sell extremely well. The margins are so high on this phone that they will be able to reduce the prices by $100+ in 6 months or less.

(Tim thinking..) “or we could NOT reduce the prices and instead swim around in an ocean of pure potent potable PROFIT”

44655F8C-2EA3-4491-AAAC-9A2A0709D795.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Current iPhone 8 user here.

If there is any improvement to the camera, even if still a single lens, I'll buy on Day 1.

Subsequently, I don’t know the ‘SE 2’ will necessarily have a completely revamped camera, but it will probably include various upgraded software camera features from the other iPhone models. That alone might shift some users to upgrade.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Being expensive in those markets is by design. That keeps Apple the brand that "only people that have succeeded can buy". So when someone gets a SE2, it is to show up their friends with cheap phones. Just like getting an iPhone Pro Max does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.