Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
HomePod is a great product, I love mine and use them every day. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't devalue it for anyone else.
I own 2 minis and 1 HomePod 2 gen. Will get an additional 3 HomePod and 2 other minis for the home. Having the house slowly being acoustically treated for recording on all levels these units make for a very pleasant spacious mood music throughout within a well diffused environment.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
"Sold out" via online orders, pretty much easily bought at launch (or day or two after) from an Apple Store.

Also people talking about motion sickness in here, I've seen at least two articles mention motion sickness and the usual disorientation caused by headsets.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Me too. I’d like to watch or read them after a lengthy amount of time has passed with the device though. It’s so easy to get caught up in the initial hype and newness of a gadget that flaws or real life use cases can be overlooked. It’s best to have time with stuff.
I agree. It will take some time to asses how the VP will perform in everyday life. The first reviews will likely be very optimistic, just because of the novelty factor.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
"Sold out" via online orders, pretty much easily bought at launch (or day or two after) from an Apple Store.

Also people talking about motion sickness in here, I've seen at least two articles mention motion sickness and the usual disorientation caused by headsets.
People complain about display issues in the iPad mini which aren't present in the iPad Pro. Are those people complaining about headsets in general or specifically the VP high uses higher quality displays?

Reactions: G5isAlive

bernoulli

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
England
Many here on MacRumours would and have called me a "hater" for being sceptical of the AVP 1.0, but I am in no way saying it is going to fail 100%.

Whether it will climb out of the niche market remains to be seen, right now the price is a concern. Just read the threads here on MR where people have been buying. A large number are funding this by credit.

However the more Apple sells, then hopefully the more useful apps will be developed.

So fingers crossed this does take off and in a decade or so I'll be buying or receiving the version AVP 5.0 as my 70th birthday gift.
If my old neck will support it!
They will be selling Miami-J collar as optional extra for $100

• Haha
Reactions: arkitect

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Those that have changed their mind in buying one and instead looking to buy the next version may regret it if Apple chose to remove or downgrade features/functions for version 2. MR have already made posts where Apple has stated designing and manufacturing the VP has been a very difficult process so it stands to reason that Apple would be looking to make the next version easier to manufacture which could mean certain features and functions are downgraded or removed from the original VP. I am sure Apple would also be looking to make it cheaper as well which would mean lower spec'd parts being used. If Apple do this, would those who decided not to buy the VP now and wait for the next version regret their decision?

Reactions: flofixer

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Apparently "dead on arrival". Lolol 😂

Even if he is 50% wrong, it’s still a massive success.

500k estimated to be sold this year vs the 20 million Oculus headsets sold in Q1 2023.

Like I said dead on arrival.

There is no interest beyond the fanboys specified by Kuo. Zero developer interest especially to cater for 500k.

And that’s me giving Kuo benefit of the doubt it will reach 500k.

Hold me to account in 2 years time but not looking good for you so far! 😂

svnty6rs3

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
500k estimated to be sold this year vs the 20 million Oculus headsets sold in Q1 2023.

There is no interest beyond the fanboys specified by Kuo. Zero developer interest especially to cater for 500k.

Curious where you got that figure. 20 million in q1 2023?

I believe you were thinking of 20 million to date across all their versions.

“Meta has sold nearly 20 million Quest headsets to date, Mark Rabkin, the company’s vice president for VR, told employees during the presentation.”

Quest Sales

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008

That’s hilarious! Zero developer interest is objectively wrong. But hey, if you don’t understand what the AVP is, then you can make up anything you want.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Curious where you got that figure. 20 million in q1 2023?

I believe you were thinking of 20 million to date across all their versions.

“Meta has sold nearly 20 million Quest headsets to date, Mark Rabkin, the company’s vice president for VR, told employees during the presentation.”

Quest Sales
Yeah the figure is 16.44 million total (for ALL VR headsets) from 2019 through to 2024, but people can live in their own dreamworld.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Hmm. I generally think about whether I will get real, genuine use out of a gadget before I buy it. I don’t want to accumulate tons of tech rubbish in my house, and to be honest I already have a few Apple gadgety things that I don’t get enough use from (looking at you Apple Pencil and Apple Watch). The case for a headset for me is far from clear, and I guess I will only find out when lots of people start telling me what I’m missing out on. But then I’m not planning to be an early adopter.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
First wave done. The device sold 2-3 times what was commonly expected.

Second wave will begin once hands-on demos happen in Apple Stores. Once people get to experience it for themselves. Remember all the first-take reviews of those who spent 30 minutes with the device? That will now be happening at a much larger scale, and instead of handing the device back to Apple employees, people will be handing over their credit cards.

Third wave will happen once Apple begins selling worldwide.

Kuo, as I read his Medium post, seems not to acknowledge that this was a US only launch.

Last edited:

M Hossein Hosseini

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2021
Doesn’t motion sickness come from lag which Vision Pro virtually doesn’t have? Maybe, I don’t know, wait until people get to actually test them?
The way apple is advertising vision pro I don't think motion sickness will be a problem. people return their quests because It is advertised for gaming... people see It and they try it... they play one of those intense games and get motion sickness.

Reactions: G5isAlive

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I bought many MACs with 0 % financing and it was a no-brained since I got 45 % tax payment back within the time of financing it.
Once you figure out how to optimize your individual cashflow a low percentage credit can be a wise option in case your depot generates more income the same time.

I am going to buy it the day it’ll arrive in the EU stores - and I’ll put it on my CC since I am getting Lufthansa miles for every EUR spent - collecting these award miles pays directly for my next private fights. Easily 1 .. 2 domestic flights a year. I can see no misbehavior in this aprosch.

Needless to say that clearing of the CCs happen in Europe normally after four weeks - thus not the same as in the US.

This is a historic moment IMHO
Exactly. I'm picking mine up February 2. Put it on my AMEX plat. Pay it off end of the month. That's close to 4K points. Rack up points for December Christmas trip to pay for flights. Just used points to pay for flights for summer family trip.

Reactions: jo-1 and G5isAlive

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
the device cost them around $1500+ (according to an old leak) to make. they are already getting back $2000 with each device...
besides apple knows what they are doing and they were settling for 80,000 units at launch. so....
The cost of the hardware is not the same as the development cost. R&D, software, and marking are big part of that other part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.