Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to produce between 60,000 and 80,000 Vision Pro units for the February 2 launch of the device, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. With the small size of the shipment, Kuo believes that the Vision Pro will "sell out soon after the release."

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Orange.jpg

According to Kuo, though Apple has not yet defined the key applications for the Vision Pro and the price is high, the "groundbreaking technology innovations" and Apple's "base of core fans and heavy users" will exhaust supplies of the device.

Kuo made similar comments earlier this week when he said that demand for the headset would cause it to sell out during pre-orders, and he believes there will be long shipping delays after the initial launch period. Apple is expected to produce fewer than 400,000 Vision Pro headsets in 2024 due to the complexity of manufacturing.

The first run of Vision Pro headsets might sell out quick, but Kuo says that so far, it is unclear if the demand for the Vision Pro will be sustained "after the novelty wears off." Continued sales will depend on "clear and correct" product positioning and key applications from Apple.

Apple plans to release the Vision Pro on Friday, February 2, but pre-orders will be accepted starting on January 19 at 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time. Orders are limited to the United States for the time being, and Apple has not yet provided details on when the headset might be available in other countries.

Customers that are planning to pick up one of the $3,500 Vision Pro devices should plan to pre-order immediately in order to ensure a headset on launch day.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple Will Only Produce Up to 80,000 Vision Pro Headsets for Launch, Sellout Likely

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I guess on the second, or third gen they will make the manufacture and construction more reliable... these limited quantities are to be expected for a first gen device of this price tier.

But in any case... I have heard many people try AR and VR workspaces and outside a few specific niches the users preferred a real monitor.

I can really see this device just becoming an option for a "personal" cinema or gaming experience. I think thats where this could really excel. Along with an appropriate price reduction for such a use case.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
Wish this came out last November or so.
Would have been able to easily sell it to some rich sucker for 2 or 3 times the cost so that why can have it for Christmas.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It's going to sell out in minutes. Insane.

I have never been sitting and waiting to do a pre-order so will be interesting to see how it works. I expect apple will release it onto the app so we can select it and have it in the card ready to go.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
“complexity of manufacturing” - corporate hired an engineer in a field they know nothing about and after the project fell behind, we had to have more meetings with even Tim Cook getting involved. To offset the price of the meetings and staff, the customer can pay for it. Marketing is an additional cost line item as well, as they came up with the terminology to cover.

What I wonder is are there people out there who purchased an Apple Product for over $1,000 and then was disappointed with the purchase?

I know that while the "hype" of a product sometimes has worn off for me, what I am left with is still a very functional thing that provides its intended use. For example, I have never felt disappointed with a desktop or laptop purchase from Apple, even after the hype of the "new thing" wore off. Never happened with me and an iPad even. Do I always "get out of them" as much as my initial hope? Not always. However, I am not disappointed in the product itself as it always meets expectations. Not always true with the cheaper items (I am looking at you AirPods with Handoff)

I just can't imagine people who have the money to get the Vision Pro will end up regretting it or being disappointed. They may eventually determine they won't purchase it again because they can't justify the cost like they initially thought they would. But to me that is adjusting personal use expectations and not a product fault where it didn't deliver on a promise.

Am I being too biased here?

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
It's going to sell out in minutes. Insane.

I have never been sitting and waiting to do a pre-order so will be interesting to see how it works. I expect apple will release it onto the app so we can select it and have it in the card ready to go.
For 80 thousand units its very likely to be a sell out... Im sure this will be bought up in an instant by many people wanting the latest, without necessarily having a real use case for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.