Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetLaw

Cancelled
Jan 21, 2009
I’ve had $2,500 stashed away for a new MBP for the past six months. Yesterday I broke down and spent the money on home improvements. At Least Home Depot still seems interested in taking my money. Wish I could say the same for Apple. The state of the Mac is really disheartening.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Hold on a sec. So no more, iphone 6/7/8 etc, no 9. But X. And X costs ways more. But they release a cheaper, 'budget' X which won't be the one people want.
The budget X is essentially an iPhone 9. Same relation to the iPhone X.2 as the iPhone 8 is to the iPhone X. And this article only lists all the phone models that will be newly introduced. It is essentially guaranteed that Apple will still keep selling one or two generations of older phones (meaning iPhone 7 and 8).
We've been had. They have switched the $/eur 600/700 price model into $/eur 1000 model.
Sure, because the iPhone 8 costs $1000. /s

Reactions: E.Lizardo

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Can someone explain what they mean 600-700? Do they mean the budget model will start at 600 and a higher storage would cost 700?

Kuo expects the 6.1" budget model with base storage to start between $600-700.
[doublepost=1530030865][/doublepost]
Hold on a sec. So no more, iphone 6/7/8 etc, no 9. But X. And X costs ways more. But they release a cheaper, 'budget' X which won't be the one people want.

Budget iPhone X with a large display is what everyone wants (except for the 4-inch lovers).

Every other smartphone manufacturer is on board the 6" train.

murdoc2k

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
"Kuo on how Apple can grow under fiercer competition: "In the high-end market, Apple's real competitor is itself, which implies that it needs to offer new models that appeal to consumers to boost replacement demands. We attribute the iPhone's slow growth in recent years to there being no significant replacement demands boosted by new models after the iPhone 6."​
What are "customer demands"? I think Apple has been delivering on those "demands", even though it is being done slowly

• Water and dust resistant iPhones
• Stronger glass for the screen
• Faster and more powerful (A11 chip)
• AR/VR (they choose AR)
• Better camera (now zooms optically)
• More storage (256GB)
• Less bezels
• FaceID
• Apple Pay expansion world wide
• True tone display
• True tone flash (4 elements)
• Faster LTE
• More ram
• Portrait mode with improved front facing camera

I think the main problem is that the high end market is getting saturated. Lets face it, we don't all need to be gaming on AR everyday or necessarily need a depth sensor to take selfies. The new features are no longer a need but a want with a high price tag.

Sales will improve once the budget iPhone comes out. I'm still holding out on the purchase until 2019 cause my iPhone 6 is still fine (albeit a bit slow). It just shows how well the 6 holds up despite all of these updates and why my next phone will be an iPhone.​

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Looks like no upgrade for me again this year, looks like i will be sticking with my 6s.

The new 6.1" will be far too big, and the SE at 4" will be too small. The only possible upgrade for me then will be the 7 or 8, but they are not worth upgrading to from a 6s.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Macbook Air with a retina display. Hmm I just bought a MacBook Pro 2015 about two months ago. I just love buying MacBooks and this rumour about the new MacBook Air may just make me buy another one. Hopefully the keyboard is similar to that of the 2015's but with the speakers of the 2017's.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I wonder if the rumored "cheaper" Macbook Air is just the Macbook Air getting a price cut (unsurprisingly considering the age of some of the components like the screen), or simply the retina Macbook completely replacing the Macbook Air at $999 (getting lost in translation as a cheaper Macbook Air).

Can't wait for the new iPhones (and the rumored dual SIM option).

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Finally, news from Kuo "whatever". I was starting to worry about this guys health and well being.
But it is nothing really new is it? As stated, we have heard most of it from Bloomberg already.
Talk about stating the obvious... Pah!

Not interested in a huge phone. 6.0in is too big for me. I want one that fits in a pocket and is not 100% of the time in my hand as is seemingly the norm these days. Perhaps Apple should patent a 3rd Arm?

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Kuo missed one, the 5" iPhone 8s Plus ... basically, it's the iPhone 8 Plus shrunk to 5", with upgraded internals, & priced @$699 USD.

Specifically, a 5" LCD with 1080p resolution, & with the UI using the same 3 points to pixel resolution factor as ALL the existing Plus-sized iPhones ... don't yet know the render downscale factor, or the LCD's PPI.

It should be announced in Sept with the other three iPhone X-style iPhones.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
  • Kuo believes the 6.1-inch iPhone will incentivize customers with older iPhones to upgrade due to it being equipped with similar features as the iPhone X and at a more competitive price of $600 to $700 in the United States.
I think when Apple went to the $700 minimum buy in that was the new "floor." I'd be surprised to see a cheaper large iPhone emerge.

I'll take an iPad with Face ID, though. I'll use that for face mocap instead of a $1000 phone.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Lets hope they get a new design team on the watch and actually 'design' something innovate - rather than an shrinkydink iPhone lookalike strapped to the wrist with 57 different varieties of strap!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
"Kuo on how Apple can grow under fiercer competition: "In the high-end market, Apple's real competitor is itself, which implies that it needs to offer new models that appeal to consumers to boost replacement demands. We attribute the iPhone's slow growth in recent years to there being no significant replacement demands boosted by new models after the iPhone 6."​
What are "customer demands"? I think Apple has been delivering on those "demands", even though it is being done slowly

• Water and dust resistant iPhones
• Stronger glass for the screen
• Faster and more powerful (A11 chip)
• AR/VR (they choose AR)
• Better camera (now zooms optically)
• More storage (256GB)
• Less bezels
• FaceID
• Apple Pay expansion world wide
• True tone display
• True tone flash (4 elements)
• Faster LTE
• More ram
• Portrait mode with improved front facing camera

I think the main problem is that the high end market is getting saturated. Lets face it, we don't all need to be gaming on AR everyday or necessarily need a depth sensor to take selfies. The new features are no longer a need but a want with a high price tag.

Sales will improve once the budget iPhone comes out. I'm still holding out on the purchase until 2019 cause my iPhone 6 is still fine (albeit a bit slow). It just shows how well the 6 holds up despite all of these updates and why my next phone will be an iPhone.​

Kuo is right, there have been no "replacement demands" boosted by new models after the iPhone 6.

All those bullet points you listed are nice to have features. But ultimately, the same apps that run on iPhone X will run on iPhone 6.

Whether it's Facebook Messenger or WeChat, the same app runs whether you have iPhone 6 or iPhone X. And quite frankly, the experience is virtually the same.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Face ID on the iPad Pro would be awesome, I love it on my iPhone X it’s better than Touch ID and that was already great :)

Would be good to hear about some new Mac’s tho as my 2011 is getting old.

forerunnerg34

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2015
Ecuador
I'm not a big fan of FaceId on larger displays. iPad is the only device I currently find interesting from Apple, for everything else I switched to Android and in the near future the Surface Book.

Reactions: motulist

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Lets hope they get a new design team on the watch and actually 'design' something innovate - rather than an shrinkydink iPhone lookalike strapped to the wrist with 57 different varieties of strap!

I really think the design of the Apple Watch works for what it is. I think it’s contemporary and it actually looks very nice paired with a leather band or stainless steel link. Is the Apple Watch in need of a refresh? Yes. I think it could be tweaked after three years of having the same design, and I believe those changes are coming this fall.

But since you commented on the “57 different varieties of strap”, that’s what makes the Apple Watch so unique, is that the customization is there with a variety of bands and materials for the user, and switching bands is perfectly executed and easy to do with the band port. That’s what Apple wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.