Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple released the current SE because they wanted to milk the assembly line of their investment for iPhone 5s until the last drop. The same will happen to the assembly line of the iPhone 6/7/8 investment.
We’re talking tim cook here. His job is to make maximum profit.
What’s wrong with you? What’s wrong with having a less expensive iPhone with the latest innards? What, you want only $1000 phones?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I do not buy this for one minute..

A iPhone 8 at $450 is a power house of a small budget iPhone!

The A11 is ridiculously powerful! Outpacing a Galaxy S10 in performance.

The new iPhone SE will not have a A13 in it, it won’t even have a A12.

even the new 2019 iPad 7th gen only has a A10 Fusion, with 3GB of ram which is plenty!

A13? No way..

it’ll be a A11 with 2-3GB of ram and a single 12MP camera, and a very nice LCD panel.

the A11 is a boss. It is efficient, and super fast!

The A11 is ageing. What is the point of relaunching the iPhone 8 with the A11 again.

This new phone will probably hang around for a while, just like the SE did, so it needs modern specs, again like the original SE.

Reactions: bluecoast and LiveM

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
They are currently offering the iPhone 8 for $450. Will this SE 2 replace that? Seems odd that it will be better (A13 chip) and cheaper than the current offering in that form factor. Surprised they would put the A13 in such a low-cost model as it may cannibalize sales of the $699 iPhone 11. Time will tell.

I think the new SE will be replacing the 8 in the lineup.

iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11
iPhone XR
iPhone SE

Controversial fact, apple made the iphone SE for people who want to spend less money, NOT for people who want a smaller form factor.

I feel like this is a pretty obvious fact and shouldn’t be controversial. It just happened to attract those who wanted the smallest possible iPhone as well

Reactions: jpn

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
It seems like this would greatly cannibalize the sales of the iPhone 8. Some much so that they might as well discontinue it.
That’s probably the purpose for people to stop buying the iPhone 8.

Same thing when Apple released the XR. The price is really close to the 8 Plus, to nudge people to get the XR instead of the 8 Plus.

Also, it will get rid of all of 3D Touch phones, making a more consistent lineup.

Reactions: profets

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
It’s great to have an entry level iPhone for low income people. Not everyone needs an iPhone 11 Pro.
I mean, the mid-tier iPhone is the iPhone 11. The Pro and Pro Max are considered premium or high-end flagships. If you want a low to entry level iPhone, Apple still offers the 8, and XR. Other retailers offer the 7 or the 6s in come cases. I don’t see what the big deal is.?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I do not buy this for one minute..

A iPhone 8 at $450 is a power house of a small budget iPhone!

The A11 is ridiculously powerful! Outpacing a Galaxy S10 in performance.

The new iPhone SE will not have a A13 in it, it won’t even have a A12.

even the new 2019 iPad 7th gen only has a A10 Fusion, with 3GB of ram which is plenty!

A13? No way..

it’ll be a A11 with 2-3GB of ram and a single 12MP camera, and a very nice LCD panel.

the A11 is a boss. It is efficient, and super fast!

Don’t forget, if it’s anything like the original SE, they’ll give it the latest SOC and sell it for 3+ years with no updates.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I mean, the mid-tier iPhone is the iPhone 11. The Pro and Pro Max are considered premium or high-end flagships. If you want a low to entry level iPhone, Apple still offers the 8, and XR. Other retailers offer the 7 or the 6s in come cases. I don’t see what the big deal is.?
The mentality here, promoted by the tech youtubers, is that Apple only sells a $1k iPhone.

Having said that, these less expensive models are needed for some markets where even the XR is still sold at the equivalent $1000 USD.
[automerge]1571016635[/automerge]
Don’t forget, if it’s anything like the original SE, they’ll give it the latest SOC and sell it for 3+ years with no updates.
WTF are you smoking? The SE gets iOS 13.

RandySea

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
i just need a phone can call and whatsapp. Give me old 5s and old ios back.New os killing all old phone
Verizon is about to throw you under the bus if you have a 5s or older. At least where I live in WA state, you'll get next year as a grace period where CDMA will still function. After that, throw away your phone if you're in an area where AT&T is not a good option. You'll need a phone with Voice over LTE (VoLTE). The SE and 6s have it.

I'm lucky that I have an SE. I was hoping for an SE-sized SE2 like so many others. So I guess I'll just stick with my SE.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I am surprised it has a A13 chip though. It really doesn’t make much sense, considering the ipad Air still only has a A12

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
No updates as in the SE received no hardware updates for three years because apple gave it top end specs when it launched in 2016.
Well, then the same thing can be said for all iPhones. The iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 8, XR all won’t receive updates.
[automerge]1571018955[/automerge]
I am surprised it has a A13 chip though. It really doesn’t make much sense, considering the ipad Air still only has a A12
The original SE was a surprise as well, having latest A9 with more RAM than the more expensive iPhone 6. As a consumer, I’m not complaining :D Didn’t get the SE because I bought the 6s at launch back then. But now I’m going to wait.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

The original SE also got the ’top of the line’ chip for its time. Apple will probably follow the same strategy of keeping this new SE as its baseline phone for multiple years.

Back in March 2016 when the first SE was launched the Air 2 was the highest end non Pro iPad and it was A8, where as the SE was A9.

Reactions: profets

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Leave it to MacRumors comments to find someway to complain about the lowest-end iPhone getting better specs, at a cheaper price lol

The SE was never really about being a smaller phone, they just used that as an excuse. The real reason was and always will be margins.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well, then the same thing can be said for all iPhones. The iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 8, XR all won’t receive updates.
[automerge]1571018955[/automerge]

The original SE was a surprise as well, having latest A9 with more RAM than the more expensive iPhone 6. As a consumer, I’m not complaining :D Didn’t get the SE because I bought the 6s at launch back then. But now I’m going to wait.

Thats kind of missing the point... The 6, 6S, 7, 8, XR weren’t launched as low end phones to fill the bottom tier like the SE was (Well the 6 was still sold, but only till September of that year).
[automerge]1571019843[/automerge]
Leave it to MacRumors comments to find someway to complain about the lowest-end iPhone getting better specs, at a cheaper price lol

The SE was never really about being a smaller phone, they just used that as an excuse. The real reason was and always will be margins.

When the SE was about to launch all these people on here were arguing it didn’t need an A9 or 2GB because “A8 and 1GB is still fantastic“ (probably Apple stockholders). Thank god it didn’t have an A8 and 1GB of ram, would have gone the same way as the 6 and lost support with the 5S.

Reactions: profets and smulji

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I wonder if this will impact 2nd hand sales values ?

There must be many who will now opt for cheaper yet new phone with latest chip over a 3 year old 2nd hand ex flagship

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.