Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release two new MacBook Pro models equipped with an HDMI port and SD card reader in the second half of 2021, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who outlined his expectations in a research note obtained by MacRumors. The return of an SD card reader was first reported by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman last month.

2021-mbp-sd-slot-feature2.jpg

"We predict that Apple's two new MacBook Pro models in 2H21 will have several significant design and specification changes," wrote Kuo. "Some of the practical changes for users are equipping with the SD card reader and HDMI port."

Last month, Kuo said Apple is planning all-new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with several changes, including the return of the classic MagSafe charging connector with a breakaway power cable, the removal of the Touch Bar, a new flat-edged design, and the return of more ports built into the notebooks for expanded connectivity. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman echoed many of these details in his reporting.

Kuo said Taiwan's Genesys Logic will be the exclusive supplier of the SD card reader in the 2021 MacBook Pro models.

Article Link: Kuo: New MacBook Pro Models With HDMI Port and SD Card Reader to Launch Later This Year

Last edited:

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
bringing back the sd slot is such a stupid idea. for professional cameras, plenty of them use CFAST cards and a lot of them are moving over to USB-C SSDs. have you seen the cost and max size of high performing SD cards to record 4k/6k/8k ProRes RAW/Blackmagic RAW footage?

let's move on from SD. Apple was right to remove them. rather have an extra USB4/Thunderbolt 4 port.

this is one of those situations where Apple should tell everyone to shut up and be glad they're removing the Touch Bar at least.

Last edited:

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
bringing back the sd slot is such a stupid idea. for professional cameras, plenty of them use CFAST cards and a lot of them are moving over to USB-C SSDs.

let's move on from SD.
No, they don’t. I’ve been a professional photographer for 16 years. The vast majority of cameras on the market still use SD cards. Probably 90%, even most the high end ones recently released.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Just a basic HDMI out so that presentations in higher education are possible without a stupid dongle.

Not to mention I have never been more infuriated with a design update that turned changing my volume into a 2 step process I know need to pay close attention to. Function key; press. Done. Ugh.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
No, they don’t. I’ve been a professional photographer for 16 years. The vast majority of cameras on the market still use SD cards. Probably 90%, even most the high end ones recently released.

You misread. I never said the majority didn't use SD. But the trajectory is going down and suitable alternatives are going up.

This is no different than MacBook Air killing the CD/DVD drive. >90% computers had the DVD drive when the MacBook Air was released, but Apple rightfully killed it off.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
bringing back the sd slot is such a stupid idea. for professional cameras, plenty of them use CFAST cards and a lot of them are moving over to USB-C SSDs. have you seen the cost and max size of high performing SD cards to record 4k/6k/8k ProRes RAW/Blackmagic RAW footage?

let's move on from SD. Apple was right to remove them. rather have an extra USB4/Thunderbolt 4 port.

this is one of those situations where Apple should tell everyone to shut up and be glad they're removing the Touch Bar at least.
Professionals have always had to use card readers. CompactFlash was the professional format for a long time and no portables that I know of had those slots. Consumers (and consumer hardware) use SD cards. It’s the biggest reason why I don’t want to update my parents Mac, they will never be able to find the card reader when they need it.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Professionals have always had to use card readers. CompactFlash was the professional format for a long time and no portables that I know of had those slots. Consumers and consumer hardware use SD cards. It’s the biggest reason why I don’t want to update my parents Mac, they will never be able to find the card reader when they need it.

So you're saying the SD cards are for not for professionals but for entry level cameras for consumers? Sorry but that trend line is going down too. Makes 0 sense.

I'm sure your parents used the DVD drive when the MacBook Air came out. Look at where we are now.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
You misread. I never said the majority didn't use SD. But the trajectory is going down and suitable alternatives are going up.

This is no different than MacBook Air killing the CD/DVD drive. >90% computers had the DVD drive when the MacBook Air was released, but Apple rightfully killed it off.
they aren’t just bringing it back on a whim. Apple is a smart company and everything they do is intentional. There must be big demand to have SD card slots back. Every, single pro photographer/videographer I know uses SD cards, although many use card readers too.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
they aren’t just bringing it back on a whim. Apple is a smart company and everything they do is intentional. There must be big demand to have SD card slots back. Every, single pro photo/videographer I know uses SD cards.

Your anecdote of knowing "every single pro" isn't a strong argument as I have no clue how many that is, who that is, or how well connected you are with the overall DSLR/mirrorless pro industry.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Bringing back the SD card reader lets me buy another one of those custom MicroSD card readers that sits flush with the frame and lets me 'upgrade' my machine.

I'm all for this ;)

Also I'm convinced that "no touch bar" means full screen digitizer to allow iPad and iPhone apps to work seamlessly.

Last edited:

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
I think HDMI is back due to second monitor limitations of M1.. Like mini 2nd gen macbooks will support 2 screens; 1 with USB-C, one with HDMI..
A couple of years later once M2,3,4.. can power 2 screens via T3, then it'll be gone again..

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Unless they are gonna release this under the radar without the no explanation as to why they are taking a step back, this would be a really awkward unveiling when comparing to previous gen. Personally, don't miss any of these ports, but realize there are users out there who might still need them. My G Drive storage already included a USB A and C cable, so, this made the transition very smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.