Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to launch a new MacBook Air with a mini-LED display and several color options around mid 2022, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in a research note obtained by MacRumors. These details line up with previous rumors about the new MacBook Air from sources like Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and YouTube tech personality Jon Prosser.

prosser-macbook-air-colors-stacked.jpg
A colorful MacBook Air concept shared by Jon Prosser

Kuo said the new MacBook Air will feature an "all-new design" with a similar form factor as the next MacBook Pro models, which are also expected to feature a mini-LED display and flatter top and bottom edges. Previous rumors have suggested the new MacBook Air will also feature a faster Apple silicon chip and a MagSafe-branded magnetic power cable.

Kuo said it is not yet certain whether the existing M1 MacBook Air will be discontinued after the mini-LED model enters mass production, and this could have an effect on pricing. If the M1 MacBook Air is discontinued, Kuo said the mini-LED model will probably start at the same $999 price. If the M1 MacBook Air does remain available for purchase alongside the mini-LED model, Kuo believes it could receive a price cut.

Chinese manufacturer BOE will supply the mini-LED displays for the new MacBook Air, whereas LG, Sharp, and Foxconn subsidiary GIS will supply mini-LED displays for the upcoming MacBook Pro models, according to Kuo.

Apple last updated the MacBook Air with the M1 chip in November 2020.

Article Link: Kuo: Redesigned MacBook Air With Mini-LED Display and Several Color Options to Launch in Mid 2022

Last edited:

oooopossum

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Miami
M2 + new case + colors + Mini-LED sounds like way too many upgrades for one year.
I hope you’re wrong because I agree it all sounds too good to be true. But then again, the M1 iMac exists and it got 3/4 of those! There’s hope!

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
Can't undertand all of this rumours will we get a new Macbook in 2021 or not? My guess has always been that it will not get released until mid 2022 (June).

Reactions: oooopossum

oooopossum

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Miami
Can't undertand all of this rumours will we get a new Macbook in 2021 or not? My guess has always been that it will not get released until mid 2022 (June).
I suspect we’ll get an announcement late this winter and it’ll release next year. But who knows at this point lol

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
If the M1 MacBook Air does end production, Kuo said the mini-LED model will probably start at the same $999 price as the current M1 MacBook Air.
Apple history told us, that many times (not all the time) they will lower the price of the current M1 MBA to probably 799$ and the M2 Mba will start from 1000$ and this way....Apple will also make more money since the M1 will perform well even in 3 years from now

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I’ll beleive this once we actually see the new Macbook Pro’s. M2 + new case + colors + Mini-LED sounds like way too many upgrades for one year.

But while they are at the redesign, please just add a USB-C port to the other side…
scratch the colours...since the mba already comes and did came in colors, even the Macbook came in 4 colours
They will just add one or two more colours like they are with iphone etc. Also a new SoC its a thing since the beginning of time with each new generation.
So in fact we will get the mini-led that is a thing, so it can be true and believable

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
when I hover over the image the filename starts with "prosser..." haha MR:eek::eek:
Err, that’s because the image is from Prosser and RendersbyIan, as you can see from the watermark in the image.

Prosser leaked this new design and the colours some time ago.
The image was created by RendersbyIan and based on actual leaked pictures.
(releasing the render rather than the actual photos protects the source)
This ‘confirmation‘ from Ming Chi adds more credibility to Prosser’s leak.

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
I suspect we’ll get an announcement late this winter and it’ll release next year. But who knows at this point lol
Let's hope so, because then I can continue buying my other stuff like the AirPods Max and the new magic keyboard etc. I need to update some other stuff also ;)

Only reason I want to update is because I want 32GB of ram and 1TB disk. I did a so stupid thing and I did buy my M1 MBP with only 256GB storage but I do manage with it. And well if I did not buy it I was going to loose the money so...

Anyway let's hope that they will release it in 2022 and not with OLED as I don't want to bee the beta tester of OLED that will cause many issues in the beginning.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I’m so excited for this, just like iMac we haven’t really had a redesign for MacBooks for a long time. Apple Silicon could give freedom to rethink the whole design. Ultimately it might still look similar from the outside though.

oooopossum

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Miami
The iMac revealed the visual language for Apple's consumer line of products...so expect white bezels.
I don’t think white bezels are a big issue to people who buy lower end apple products like the iMac and MacBook Air. They’re usually students/ families who buy them and they usually don’t care about bezel color. 90% of the advertising material for the m1 iMac was families and students so. If Apple does do a colorful MacBook line, expect white/light gray bezels

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
So, OLED option for the Pros in 2022, mini-LED for everything else? Or are the rumoralysts confused about the year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.