Kuo Says New MacBook With Scissor Keyboard to Launch in Mid 2020, Unclear if 16-Inch Model Delayed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to introduce a new MacBook model with a scissor switch keyboard in the late second quarter or early third quarter of 2020, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, suggesting the notebook could be announced at either WWDC in June or with a press release in July next year.

16-inch MacBook Pro concept by MacRumors

In a research note today for TF International Securities, seen by MacRumors, Kuo said Taiwanese manufacturer Wistron will be the primary supplier of parts for the scissor switch keyboards in 2020.

It is unclear if this represents a delay of the widely rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro, which Kuo said would launch in the fourth quarter of 2019 with a scissor switch keyboard. There was some hope that Apple would announce the 16-inch MacBook Pro with a press release this morning, but that did not happen.

Kuo has previously predicted that Apple will transition its entire notebook lineup to scissor switch keyboards in 2020, including all MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models. The last MacBook Pro to feature scissor switches was released in 2015 before Apple moved to its problematic butterfly mechanism.

Article Link: Kuo Says New MacBook With Scissor Keyboard to Launch in Mid 2020, Unclear if 16-Inch Model Delayed

Nick A

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
This is actually pretty frustrating if true. I’ve been holding off on buying a 13” Pro for a while waiting for the update with new processors, scissor keyboard, and WiFi 6. It’s disappointing we may have to wait until June ..

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
He often gets products and some details right, but often gets the dates wrong.
Yeah, he's still one of the best sources even if the info is sometimes wrong. I remember when he said there was going to be a new iMac with "display performance upgrades" in fall 2018 and here we are a year later and there's been no change to the iMac display. So not sure what that was.

Reactions: TMax and haruhiko

tharitm

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2009
Back to the original and most likely lineup. Apple does major refresh every 4 years, last time Touch Bar came out in 2016 and Retina in 2012, so obviously 2020 will be the major re-design. Kuo and all these leakers have been teasing and just building up for no reason

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Probably a 13" or 14" model.

Despite his sources in the supply chain and incredible predictive powers, he can't know if Apple marketing will randomly call it a "Pro" or not.

We know the 16" model will launch in November based on the Apple Store availability of 3-4 weeks of the 15" model.

Pro7913

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2019
Not delayed. Already expected. Usually, they dont announce a new macbook pro in March instead of June or Oct.

decypher44

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Darn it! I want to get my daughter a new MacBook Pro for HS graduation (we both currently have late-2013 MBP). Was planning on this rumored model, but if this is true, it will come out too late.

Reactions: TMax and xnu

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012

Despite his sources in the supply chain and incredible predictive powers, he can't know if Apple marketing will randomly call it a "Pro" or not.

We know the 16" model will launch in November based on the Apple Store availability of 3-4 weeks of the 15" model.
Lol, that is a theory, but I really hope that you are right.

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

Can you please explain this? I’ve seen you say it twice.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Lol, that is a theory, but I really hope that you are right.
An iMac Pro with 4TB ships in 4-6 business days. I don't think Apple's supply chain for the MacBook is so bad it takes weeks to ship with a similar 4TB drive.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
An iMac Pro with 4TB ships in 4-6 business days. I don't think Apple's supply chain for the MacBook is so bad it takes weeks to ship with a similar 4TB drive.
I like your theory, it lines up well with other rumors and it what I want to see happen as well, so like I said, hope you're right.

Reactions: centauratlas